1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Table #3 Fractured church VS One church

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by PackerBacker, Mar 12, 2002.

1. PackerBacker

PackerBacker New Member

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Overall, I like and agree with this table linked by LP. On No. 3, I have some disagreement. The "traditional church" fractured into many denominations is certainly a result of sin and false doctrine, but the idea that there was one church in each city meeting in numerous assemblies is, I think, a vague idea that cannot be proven. What is needed to prove No. 3 would be to show that the house churches (e.g. Col. 4:14; Phlm. 2; I Cor. 16:19; Rom. 16:5), were not really churches (as they are called), but merely gatherings or manifestations of the larger church in the city. Or perhaps I am misunderstanding their concept altogether.

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason I see that smaller churches met was because of one condition you probably never thought of Persecution. If you had the freedom to worship as you saw fit why would you divide. This is what fractured the church as you say and I will bet your bottom dollar Robert Vaughn will agree with me! BTW I'm not speaking of those churches that are not churches that Robert spoke of but the true church down through the ages that Baptist History relates... Brother Glen [​IMG]

[ March 12, 2002, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: tyndale1946 ]

4. PackerBacker

PackerBacker New Member

Got to agree with rlvaughn on this one. By the way, thanks for helping us go through the tables.

We all know that "Christianity" is splintered today into many denominations. It's a sad mess, period. Although I wish it were different and wish it was like in the early part of Acts, it's not. Sad.

I would quickly mention that not all the groups of believers got along super well. That Jerusalem church did not warm up real well with the Gentile believers. They also practiced different things than some of the Gentile believers. It did not take long for us sinners to mess up a good thing.

Moving on to Table #4

[ March 14, 2002, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: PackerBacker ]