1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tablet recommendation?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Don, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm looking for a tablet that's "more portable" than the iPad or Galaxy. Preferably around a 5" screen, something that will fit in a pocket or on the belt. Looked at cell phones, especially the HTC and Samsung models that have 4.5" screens. My current job doesn't allow cell phones inside the building, so a cell phone would spend most of its time sitting in the car. Bluetooth and wifi are a must, as I'd be using Skype or Google Voice (if it's a tablet and doesn't have cell phone capability). Of course, gotta be able to do documents, spreadsheets, video, music, etc.

Any suggestions?

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might snoop the Archos 7 inch, they also have a model 43 that is more like the old Pocket PCs.

Kind of depends on what you want to do with it. There are some old Archos 7 inch very cheap but they run an older version of android and are a bit limited.

Mysword is a great bible program but I think it requires an android version 2 or higher for some features.

Pandigital announced some new stuff I haven't looked at. Their Novel (older white) is pretty awesome for an android 2 unit but is not quite pocketable.

You might go to youtube and search for 7 inch tablets and see what really grabs your attention.

The above are in the neighborhood of 100, the newer stuff is in the 2-4 area.

There is also the Augen 7 that is 50-70 but is an older unsupported version.

www.mobileread.com has sections on a lot of units for the pros and cons if you want to do some digging.

Lenovo and other big names have lots of new stuff just out so look around the manuf. sites :) Happy hunting.

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, went out and bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7", wifi only. It was a returned item, so got it for $50 off. Uses Android 2.2.

The only thing that would make this thing perfect would be the ability to use a keyboard. The bluetooth keyboards I've found pretty much only work with Android 3.0 and newer; and the Galaxy Tab 7" isn't scheduled for any firmware updates.

Right now, I'm considering taking it back; unfortunately, the options for a tablet that has full Android App Market capability, plus the Android version to be able to use a keyboard, etc. run into the 10"/$500 range.

Mulling it over....

4. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does your new unit have a usb port that you can use for sticks, drives and keyboard?

I bought an entourage pocket edge that has one and it works fine with a folding keyboard. http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=72675

The edge comes in the standard 10 inch and the pocket which is 7 inch. Ebay is about the only source as the company is out of business.

Any tablet with usb should work I would think.

You might google for a forum for the Samsung and see what you can find, the forums that spring up for new units are very helpful.

I've seen people use the tablets in landscape mode and use the onscreen as a thumb keyboard and get very quick at it. Personally I would drop mine I am sure :)

If you want to do a lot of typing maybe a netbook or one of the convertibles would be better. Lenovo S10-3t is one you could look at to find out what they are like though I would not recommend it. There have been a lot of cracked screens with them.

Dell has a tablet that fits into a frame with a keyboard also that might be of interest.

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thing about all the current "popular" tablets that you have to watch out for is the alleged bluetooth connection capability. Most bluetooth keyboards require Android 3.0 or better to connect.

I looked at the Dell Inspiron Duo; however, Dell has discontinued this tablet/10" laptop hybrid.

I'm still hoping I can come across a netbook that flips, if only to have the option to save space at times. I like to use my device as an e-reader as well; having to have the netbook open just to read is not my preferred option, but....

6. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the lenovo s10-3t does the flip to tablet thing and is quite nice. I have had mine for near a year with no problem, though their forum has a five page thread on broken screens. The first time I opened mine I decided two hands and great care would be smart :) It comes with 7 starter which does not come with the tablet part of windows (figure that one out). I upgraded to home premium which has the tablet.

If you happen to get one the 4 cell battery fits the unit nicely from what I hear but the 8 cell sticks out the back an inch or so and is really heavy. If you need the battery life you will have the extra landscape/weight.

I saw a term yesterday you might google "netvertible"

(You might try ebay for a keyboard that runs on older android.) I've never used the bluetooth though some of my rigs have it so not to knowledgeable of it.

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You brought up a good point: battery life. Tablets are averaging over 8 hours, while laptops and netbooks are still under the 5 hour mark.

"Netvertible"; that's just amusing. :tongue3:

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, here's a source I hadn't considered: Toys R Us has a Coby 7"/4Gb tablet for $180 this week; and a Sylvania 10" MagniTablet for $220. Haven't looked up the stats on either yet.

9. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some of the netbooks are running 8-10 hours on battery, you have to look at the specs. (Don't know about the netvertibles. s10-3t is 8 for the 8 cell but 3-4 on the 4 cell.) Overall you are correct. The tablets are closer to 6. The pandigital, edge and some others. Some of them you can shut off phone junk that they don't use and get a little more.

I'm not sure why the sylvania is so cheap, ran across them couple days ago.

HP has decided to close out their new hp touchpad at ridiculous prices. Most retailers are out, but if you can find them they are running 99 and 149 for a 399 and 499 unit. They are Webos not android. There seems to be some drastic upheavael of some sort going on in the tablet end of things.

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note: Today only, if you can still catch them, some Best Buy locations are selling the HP tablets that Ex mentions for $100-$150.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20095062-64/u.s-best-buy-to-sell-$100-hp-touchpad-sunday/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

But it's one day only. The problem with this tablet is its lack of apps.

11. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Staples had the 16 gig for 99 with a 60+ instant discount - 49 bucks for a 399 unit. They sold out rather quickly :)

HP's site still has a page for the units marked as sold out with a check back soon so they must have more to pedal.