1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Take up his cross...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rubato 1, Apr 11, 2008.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Are you referring to the push to separate Church from state? How religion is being removed from all other aspects of our society?

2. nunatak

nunatak New Member

I would like to know what you consider the four distinctions to be. Also, today people don't bear literal crosses. So, I guess, did Jesus specifically mean that some would literally have to be martyred? Is this to be literally interpreted?

How does an American, (I don't want to be self-centered, but this is where I live,) take up his cross, literal or otherwise?

I feel like I am missing something here. The purpose of scripture is to point us to Christ, not to ourselves.

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Congress should not establish a religion. We are now in the third generation of the gospel removed from public education. Now look around and you will see that anything Christian is systematically being removed. When I started to work for Coca Cola in '92 we started the day in prayer in the sales room floor. lWe have moved the Christian life out of anything in society and consigned it to our homes and Churches only. Now our city streets are running with blood. Violence is bred in the schools. Mother is killing her unborn child. Our leaders look for personal power while rejecting the needs and protection of our people. Meanwhile the people of Christian name are flocking to the gospel of prosperity. The prosperity gospel rejects the call to carry our cross. Not many are willing to take it up anymore. That is many in this nation. :tear:
    Try becoming a Christian in Saudi Arabia, India, China and many others then one will understand the meaning. All ready Pastors are subject to judgments against "hate speech" if they preach against alternative life styles in Canada.

Yes we will very soon be called to carry that cross.

#23 Palatka51, Apr 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2008
  4. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I agree> yet it is still a gospel proclamation> just one that warns of the Cost.

Salvation is free to receive. Yet those who are saved, will be placed in situations that will cost them dearly.

The point of all this, is the refutation of those who think you can be "saved" by praying some prayer, but then NOT ever actually follow Christ> a.k.a Cheap Grace doctrine.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then continue to believe that. What is that saying about a multitude of counselors?...

And please, don't call the grace of my Savior "cheap".

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I'm not speaking for JOJ but my understanding is "BE WILLING" to die. All are not called to be martyr's but all should be willing to confess their faith even unto death. Consider the three Hebrew boys, they didn't die but they certianly showed where their faith was.

7. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

By some reports, Christopher Columbus suffered from gout in his latter years. He determined to himself that his lack of carrying his cross in his younger years was why his feet and toes were so painful at night. He would be seen carrying a cross during the day in hopes to ward of the demons that would attack his feet keeping him from getting sleep.

Carrying our cross is willingness to follow Christ where ever we might be led to go. He was led to Calvary, we indeed might be led to die for Him as well. However, honestly to live for Him just might be the heaviest cross of them all. Enduring old age as John did, even after all the attempts on his life, or being able to discern that a medical condition is not a demonic attack but to glorify Christ no matter what we might be facing.

8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Apparently you did not actually read his post> he agreed the cost of being saved was high. See he said>

You are, in fact the only person on here who has completely disagreed with me.

My Lord's Grace is NOT cheap! It empowers one, makes them a new creature, puts our old sinful nature to death, and causes us to live a Godly life! Thats not cheap! That is a precious gift!

Rather, the Grace in some individuals false theology is cheap, that attempt to make Christ's sacrifice worthless before the resurrection. But THAT is not the Grace of Christ.

#28 Havensdad, Apr 12, 2008
  9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Wow, now you really hit the nail on the head here... solid hit! :thumbs:

10. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

BTW Webdog, I take it we will NOT be seeing you at the Together for the Gospel conference? :laugh:

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe it is you who did not read his post. Here it is... "I have always taught/preached this as a threefold COST of discipleship not to be confused with how to become a disciple."

As JoJ pointed out also (making me not the only person to disagree), the passage is not dealing with salvation.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I see what you're attempting to say but it's easy to confuse your argument with works based salvation. We don't want to see someone walking down the street with a cross on his shoulder believing he is saved. For this reason I limit my teaching of salvation to Faith and Faith alone. Not even denying self with save you, Fiath is the only way...

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

13. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

If you look at the bottom of his post he says it is referring o the COST of being saved: therefore discipleship is something that comes from salvation, not some extra choice we make.

Are you the teaching a works based salvation? In regards to "taking up the Cross", Jesus says "what good is it, if a man gains the whole world, but forfeits his soul". So we have to work for our salvation, s that what your saying?

Because I take it to mean the discipleship of individuals starts AT salvation, not that one must work to be saved..

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes...cost OF being saved...not cost in BECOMING saved. As much as you are trying to fit this square peg into the round hole, it won't fit. It is not a salvific message.

15. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Mat 4:18 While walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon (who is called Peter) and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen.
    Mat 4:19 And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."
    Mat 4:20 Immediately they left their nets and followed him.

Mat 4:21 And going on from there he saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee and John his brother, in the boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets, and he called them.
    Mat 4:22 Immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.

Did these men get saved because of their "works"? No, rather as James states "I will show you MY faith, by my works!"

This is the kind of faith that saves> not simple abstract belief. It is a faith that says "yes Lord, I trust you", not one that says "Yeah, I guess I want to be saved, I suppose".

I TOTALLY agree that salvation is by faith. But faith is not just "belief" it is putting your trust in Christ. How can you put your trust in Christ, and NOT be a "follower"?

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Are you implying they were saved when they left their nets to follow Jesus?

What were they saved unto?

At this point what did they know about Jesus that would give them saving faith?

What were they believing in?

Go back and read Mt 16:13-20...

Mt 16:13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
    14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
    15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
    16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
    17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
    18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
    19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
    20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

17. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Are you saying if they would have died an hour after this, they would have went to Hell?

Of course they were saved. They trusted Christ, and followed Him. Are you saying something MORE than faith and trust in Christ is necessary for salvation?

Eternal Life. Same as you and I. Of course, they were not empowered yet, because the "Spirit had not yet been given".

So your saying we are saved by Faith and trust in Jesus, PLUS a BaTh? Jesus said come, they came. They demonstrated trusting Faith.
    Now, COULD they have not been saved at this point? Yes. Just as a person who says "I have faith and trust in Christ" might not be saved.

Jesus.

So, NONE were saved or went to Heaven before this? I think not...

This is just a clarification. Obviously this is something Peter already believed. If some grungy long haired hippy looking guy came up to you and said "follow me", would you drop what you were doing, and go?

#37 Havensdad, Apr 12, 2008
  18. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

That was basically Jesus; message to the rich young ruler and he wasn't saved. Taking up your cross and following Him means that you must make Christ the Lord of your life in order to be saved. The rich young ruler wasn't willing to do that and he went away unsaved.

19. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have very little time right now, but I want to briefly respond. Even if we say that part of the sermon was to lost people, why would that mean that the whole sermon was? Have you never preached a message to both saved and lost people? That Jesus sometimes did so is clear from the Sermon on the Mount, where almost all of the sermon is to saved disciples, but the parable of the wise man and foolish man appears to be to the lost.

On another subject, and not meaning to hijack this thread, but why did you not come back to your "Evangelist Question" thread? Tom Bryant has given you some good words there and deserves at least a thank you. I listened to your sermon as per your link and would have talked about it with you, but you never came back. Now I don't remember much about it, and I don't have time to re-listen to it since we head to the big city tomorrow to renew the "period of stay" on our visas.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not really. The message to the RYR was to quit trusting in his wealth and works and to trust in Him. It doesn't compare to "taking up your cros..."