1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Taking a Bible to Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by preacher4truth, Jun 18, 2013.

1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

That's a great testimony right there!

2. preacher4truth

Hmmmm. People that think it's no big deal to have a Bible at church seem quite smug about it don't they?

3. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Hummmmm....(see the highlighted part)...that sounds kind cultish or Catholic to me...hope you don't still go there...or at least that the "seeker" "Pastor" (whatever that is) has been run outta there on a rail!

Bro.Greg:saint:

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And you know this how?

5. pk4life

pk4life Member

So if we can't adhere to standards found in the Bible... make up our own standards, and look around to see who doesn't follow them?

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the service is such that it is only needed to follow along for a few verses, and then to lay in one's lap for forty-five minutes, why lug the thing around?

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Very good point Aaron!!

I run the computer and will not put the Scripture on the screen unless there is a good reason for it. Everyone needs their own Bibles to follow along. SOMETIMES there is a particular verse that needs breaking down and I'll put it up but it's so rare that it happens. :)

8. preacher4truth

:thumbs:

Text and a tantrum sermons fit that description.

9. thisnumbersdisconnected

Because the pastor might say something that you want to refer back to verse to remember? I don't know, just a thought.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one needs to be flipping through Bibles during a sermon. That's rude.

I attended a church for fifteen years till they moved. Met at 10 in the morning. Broke at noon. Fellowshipped for two and half hours over lunch, then began an afternoon service that often ran till 4:30. You brought your Bible and the book you happened to be reading at the time, and there was ample opportunity to use them.

Go to a church. Meet for an hour or so, then go home . . . the Bible's just an extra load.

11. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

To tack on to my previous comments on the seeker pastor who preached Saddleback sermons week after week. He would do just as Rick Warren did and use several different bible versions to get his message across. He has even used The Message and NIV in the same verse so it would say what was needed to stay on topic. This is when I started questioning the Message Bible for preaching. This is also when I questioned the pastor why people didn't bring bibles anymore and he let me have it. He obviously didn't believe in the Berans from Scripture. He also followed Rick Warren's advice for getting rid of descenters of the Purpose Driven method and suggested we leave if we are not going to follow the PD plan. We did leave and I'm very happy we did. That is one of the main reasons I will always warn people of Rick Warren and his PD marketing schemes.

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

If you keep up with his verse references, there isn't any undue "flipping" -- everyone does this in my church, unless they have an iPad or tablet and can just jump from one reference to another. Of course, that's what I consider rude. Took me months of being disgusted to realize they weren't texting. :laugh: