1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taking the Offering

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Dr. Bob, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Finding in the "Order of Service" thread that some folks have traditional offering/offeratory mid service, some at the end and some don't pass the plate at all.

Our church has an offering basket where people can place offerings as God leads. Never mentioned.

What about yours??

2. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I don't think we have anything, other than the Treasurer's pocket, to put anything in right now.

At our old building, which we sold and vacated a year ago last January, we had an old wooden box, sometimes sitting on the table next to the door and sometimes on the table in front of the pulpit.

We are using another congregation's church now, and we haven't "unpacked" our box, but I think they might have a metal plate or something on the table in front of the pulpit.

I have yet to see anyone place any money in it in the year that we've been there though.

Most folks will either give their money directly to the Treasurer after services, or, if they don't know who the Treasurer is, to a deacon or some other officer to give to the Treasurer.

3. Gib

Gib Active Member

We pass the plate, count it, and if there's not enough, pass it again.

We do have an offertory Sunday morning and night. Any Baptist church I've ever been involved in has set aside that time in the service. The Episcopal and AOG churches I've been to have done the same.

I went to a church in Orlando, a non-denomination, Victory something. They have several waste high containers in the foyer that have slots in the top to slip in your offering.

Coming and going I saw almost everyone placing their envelope, a check or cash into the container.

That must be wrong because we don't do it.

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

We have a regular offering (pass the plate) on Sunday mornings and Sunday evenings after the 'altar call' and before Baptisms (if there are any).

On Wednesday night, we have a love offering, which goes to someone in the church who needs it. If no one needs it, at that time, it goes into the Missionary Fund.

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gib said:

"That must be wrong because we don't do it."

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

We don't do that either, but I've often thought it's a better method. People are being watched as they give (or don't give). But I don't really have a problem with either.

7. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

I meant to say that people are NOT being watched if you use the box at the door method.

8. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We take the offering somewhere in the middle of the service, before the sermon, usually accompanied by music. The ushers then come to the front and put the plates on the communion table, or if it is communion Sunday, on the edge of the platform behind the deacons' chairs.nPrior to taking it up, visitors are admonished that they need not participate unless they choose to do so.

On communion Sunday, just before the ceremony itself, the Deacons' Fund is collected in addition to the regular offering. This fund is spent for the Food Cupboard and those who come to us in need.

9. dclark14

dclark14 New Member

We felt led to change from receiving the offering as part of the service, to placing a small model of a church building with a slot in the roof at the back of the sanctuary. We are located in a very predominantly Roman Catholic town, and many are really turned off by the constant appeals for money. We have had a very positive response to this method. There is something to be said for receiving an offering as part of worship, but,in fact,it had turned into just the opposite- a deacon or usher waiting for someone to "cough up" the week's dues.Offerings received now seem to be more from the hearts of the people, and have increased over the past few years. We actually run over budget many months.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Margo - you were right the first time when talking about passing a plate. People ARE being watched.

Same with communion. Ask any deacon and they will tell you who took it or who passed it by.

Human nature to observe . . and judge.

11. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

What I meant was this:

Pass the plate and everyone notices who is giving or not giving.

Have a box at the door (or what have you) and giving becomes a more private thing.

Yes, it's human nature to observe and judge. It's hard to work against that tendency.

Many years ago I was sitting with a friend for church. During the communion service I noticed her pass it up. I won't ever forget that because it cemented in my mind the reality that it doesn't matter who is watching me. It impressed me that my friend hadn't put up a facade just because I was there and could see.

12. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

We collect the offering on Sunday morning only. If there is a special missionary focus or a need in the community, we pass the plate twice. And there is always more than we need.

13. Karen

Karen Active Member

In our church, the plate is passed on Sunday mornings and evenings. But you would not be able to assume anything about an individual's giving, anyway. Many regular attenders put their contribution in an envelope and turn it in during Sunday School. Also, the biggest employers here pay twice a month, and many seem to give twice a month, therefore.

Karen

14. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The last church we attended had boxes at the door, this was their offering for over 75 years. Never had an offering been taken in any other way. They got a new pastor that really couldn't handle it. He made many remarks about they've never taken an offering here, but if we don't get enough in we may have to. He mentioned one Sunday that he didn't want to preach on giving but if the offerings dropped of he'd have to - in short if God can't get enough in I will! :)

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never been a member of a church that didnt take up an offering (as opposed to just having a basket in the foyer) besides, is that a requirement for being a Baptist! [​IMG]

Seriously, though, if taking an offering I DO NOT like it at the end of the service!!! :( You have just (hopefully) had (some kind of ) invitation, maybe someone came forward, now the attention is off of them to focus on collection money.
    When someone comes forward to join the church, I like it when they stand with the pastor and then recieve the right hand of fellowship from all the members.

Salty

16. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember giving is worship, not a collection of money. We collect it at the end of the service most times but not always.