1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Talent or Biblical Grounding

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by blessedhopeboy, Sep 11, 2003.

1. blessedhopeboy

blessedhopeboy New Member

I have a friend who is attending a Bible college. His major is music, but that college's music program is not very big. He is afraid that a church looking at him for a potential music director might see that the college he attended didn't have that big of a music program.
    The college, however, is very grounded in the Bible and teaches a lot of things that will help him in his Christian life.

I wanted to get some feedback from anyone, (But especially Pastors) to see if they would rather have someone in their church who knew a lot of music, and was still a pretty grounded in the faith; or someone who was planted firmly and didn't have as much music experience. This is assuming that the one who knew music really well was planted enough that he will remain faithful to church.

2. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

I'm a middle school minister and have actually helped out on more than one search committee earlier in life. I've never heard of a decent Baptist church who was concerned with where a person went to college. More than likely, this person will attend seminary at an institution which is a big equalizer as far as that goes. The most important thing is for him to be faithful to what God has called him to do.

Ironically, sometimes students who go to small schools can network and connect with alumni of that school. I've seen it happen several times.

At the same time, he should strive for personal and professional musical excellence in what he does. A smaller program may actually give him more opportunity to develop those skills one-on-one with professors who have served as music ministers. Finding a mentor is a lot easier at small schools, and one of the most important parts about becoming a minister is finding a trusted mentor to help the person walk through the beginnings of ministry.

Does that help?