1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tape or digital recorder!

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Ingo Breuer, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Ingo Breuer

Ingo Breuer Member

I used to have a Marantz PMD 201 tape recorder to record sermons, messages and sounds. That thing is broke now. I recorded a short German sermon to place on my website, then listened to a testimony about a missionary in Germany and all of a sudden the tape player quit working. I need some kind of replacement. I was planning to record some street preaching in Nashville, TN, but I can't now. Does anyone know how to obtain a new or used tape or digital recorder (like Marantz PMD 660) as cheap as possible? I can't afford the big price tags. More than $200 is out of the question. Ebay has proved to be a bad source for me because people sell stuff that won't work. Like that player that I mentioned above. Does anyone now some kind of place near Nashville, TN (where all the recording industry is) where I can find some cheap equipment and be able to test it myself before purchasing anything? Do you know of any local radio stations that are plasing out older portable tape recorders from field reporting? Thanks for any valuable info!

2. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I have an MP3 player called a Creative Zen Micro.

I use it to listen to sermons and audible books. The cool thing is it has a digital recorder built in. The cost is close to your limit, but I would say look into it, as it's very much worth it, plus you get the MP3 player part of it AND the recorder, so you can record sermons/sounds AND listen to sermons..

Shop around, I am sure you can find them at a decent price. I paid $179 for mine. Here is the companies website:
    http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zenmicro/

Good luck!

Jamie

3. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Sounds like a winner.

4. sovgrace79

sovgrace79 New Member

I bought a digital recorder for my company so I could record quick thoughts on it. I paid about $49 I think. It can record up to 4 hours on low quality settings, and 1 hour on high quality. It uses flash memory (no moving parts). The output is a mono 1/8" jack, which should connect to most other things. It was an Olympus VN-240, if I remember the model correctly.

I wasn't sure from your post if you were looking for the same kind of recorder or were open to other ideas. The voice recorder I found was at Staples, so its easy enough to visit the store and check it out.

5. Ingo Breuer

Ingo Breuer Member

I think you are talking about a digital voice reocorder. They indeed have become inexpensive. I have looked at professional, portable, high-quality recorder that are basically used in radio, music recording, etc. I need good quality sound to record preaching, singing and music in church or outdoors. All the recordings need to sound right when I put them online or burn them on CD. Do you think your Olympus VN-240 will meet my needs. I'll probably visit a Staples. But thanks for your help anyway.

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you have a spare computer around stick a mic in the mic jack and get some cheap software, it will do most anything you would want I would think.

7. sovgrace79

sovgrace79 New Member

In high quality mode, the recording might be acceptable to you. The Olympus recorders have a mic jack also, so with a quality mike, it could work, but if you really need high fidelity, you should probably look elsewhere.