1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tasmanian Goldmine Rescue

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Melanie, May 7, 2006.

1. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am posting the url which I hope works as I was surprised that there is no mention of this. It is big news in Australia as the 2 surviving miners are into their 13th day trapped almost 1 km underground.

Please say a prayer for these guys and their families.

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/

2. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

We certainley prayed for these two miners in this mornings service, one can but wonder what they are going through right now!

3. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Apparently, they've still got a sense of humor. They referred to the tiny cage they are trapped in, as a "two-star" hotel.

The rescuers are moving toward them, and it looks very good. They are in my prayers, but it appears that they are handling it remarkably well.

The US stereotype of Aussies as rugged and cheerful seems justified for these two.

4. Pete

Pete New Member

YOU LITTLE RIPPER!!!!!!! THEY'RE OUT!!!!!!!!!

[ May 08, 2006, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

5. Pete

Pete New Member

Now the blokes are out I can go into the demonstrations of the good and not so good sides of Aussie attitudes displayed since the mine collapse.

The good side is the typical Aussie sense of humour that was displayed by everyone involved.

When the men were first contacted the earliest reports have them asking for the weekend footy results and meat pies.

A day or two after a reporter asked a family member what their first words to the bloke will be, her response was "Probably...What kept you?!"

At around the 1 week mark the men said they resigned and asked for the newspaper from the previous Saturday so they could look for new jobs. The mine manager said he hadn't accepted their resignations, and would wait until he saw them. When a reporter asked him if he would give them more money to keep them on he said words to the effect of "No, actually I'll have to discipline them for laying down on the job!"

The men refered to where they were as a 2 star hotel - and added that they were the 2 stars!!

The mine manager was just on tv and said that the way the men were eating down there they might have had to make the hole bigger.

The men walked out themselves, and clocked off work as they came out (just imagine the over-time!!).

...and so on from a cast of thousands. A web-page on Aussie culture (or lack thereof ;) ) I surfed across a while ago puts it this way When comforting someone who is dying of cancer, it probably isn't tactful to joke about how much one is enjoying a mini-series. Yet such black humour is one of the most notable aspects of Australian comedy....Australians like to joke about tragedies as a way of coping with them in a way that, for instance, the more sentimental Americans would find rather inappropriate....

On the down side though for a people that pride ourselves on being fair dinkum (genuine), when things like this happen we fall down in the most important area of all, that is, how we treat God. The number of people in Churches increases...until the disaster is over and things go back to normal, then it's business as usual.

For example: My dad was involved in a shipping disaster. He heard one of the men in the water with him say "God help us", that man didn't think much of God before or since. Too often God is treated like a big Santa Claus in the sky.

........and I'll type the rest later, tv still going here and can't think [​IMG]

6. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

PRAISE GOD!!!! \o/

7. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Really nice post Pete.....I know I was pretty watery about the eyeballs hearing the news.

Pete is pretty right about turning to God in a crisis and then forgetting to aknowledge the miracle. However, there was a very touching photo of a woman on her knees praying at the height of the disaster.....she was much discussed as if she had a second head. Sorry mainland Aussies have always reckoned Taswegans having a scar on the shoulder after having the second head loped off being pretty inbred down there (hawhawhaw very tired old lame joke)

8. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

If you're on track, most of your prayers to God should start with "Thank you.."