1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tattoo's ?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by DeclareHim, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

"Who are we trying to please with tattoos? Is it God, or is it men?"

From my point of view, this is the bottom line. [​IMG]

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Many people do not realize that the Bible goes as far as to command us to judge.</font>[/QUOTE]Yes, the Bible allows is to RIGHTEOUSLY judge. Making judgements about a person's character simply because they have a tattoo does not qualify.

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Here is a very interesting tattoo. One that a good many christians may soon be getting...willing or not.

Method For Verifying Human Identity During Electronic Transactions.

This is a patent for a tattoo filed in the US patent office March 2, 1999. By a man named Thomas Heeter.

United States Patent Office

To use the search feature, go to the top left corner and click on quick search. Use the inventors name heeter and the patent number 5878155

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Many people do not realize that the Bible goes as far as to command us to judge.</font>[/QUOTE]Yes, the Bible allows is to RIGHTEOUSLY judge. Making judgements about a person's character simply because they have a tattoo does not qualify. </font>[/QUOTE]I agree with JohnV! :eek: Could I be dreaming? :D

5. todaysjane

todaysjane New Member

I just stumbled upon this site the other day. I always find duscussions on tattoos interesting. So many people ask the question "Should christians get tattoos?" You have to look at what tattoos stood for during biblical times and what they stand for most of the time in todays time. It does say in the OT not to get tattoos or mark your bodies "like the heathens do" They did it to honor whatever God they served.
    Now days tattoos are so much a fashion thing. Some are just downright discusting but others are beautiful.
    I have 3 myself, one on my back and one on each wrist. They're all christian tattoos and whenever someone notices them and asks what they mean I get a chance to tell them about Christ.
    Also, you have to question why you are getting them. If you're doing it out of rebellion then, yes, I think they are wrong. God does not call us to have a rebellious spirit. If you feel a conviction don't get one, if you feel you're doing it with right motives and have thought it through (they are permanent) then by all means get one.
    I think people tend to be closed minded when it comes to the topic of christianity and tattoos. You have to put it into perspective for each individual.
    I may have tattoos but there's no doubt in my mind or the minds of anyone that knows me.....I'm in love with Jesus Christ! [​IMG]

6. todaysjane

todaysjane New Member

One thought I forgot to add. This is one reason people can be so aprehensive about christianity is becuase christians can be so judgemental and worry about the things that don't matter and won't matter when we get to heaven. I know I struggle with judging others just as much as some others but when are we going to stop worrying about such small things as ink on one's skin and worry about the important thing...one's soul.

7. todaysjane

todaysjane New Member

I just stumbled upon this site the other day. I always find duscussions on tattoos interesting. So many people ask the question "Should christians get tattoos?" You have to look at what tattoos stood for during biblical times and what they stand for most of the time in todays time. It does say in the OT not to get tattoos or mark your bodies "like the heathens do" They did it to honor whatever God they served.
    Now days tattoos are so much a fashion thing. Some are just downright discusting but others are beautiful.
    I have 3 myself, one on my back and one on each wrist. They're all christian tattoos and whenever someone notices them and asks what they mean I get a chance to tell them about Christ.
    Also, you have to question why you are getting them. If you're doing it out of rebellion then, yes, I think they are wrong. God does not call us to have a rebellious spirit. If you feel a conviction don't get one, if you feel you're doing it with right motives and have thought it through (they are permanent) then by all means get one.
    I think people tend to be closed minded when it comes to the topic of christianity and tattoos. You have to put it into perspective for each individual.
    I may have tattoos but there's no doubt in my mind or the minds of anyone that knows me.....I'm in love with Jesus Christ! [​IMG]

8. Cix

Cix New Member

Do you think Jesus would have a tattoo if he were on Earth today? Aren't we supposed to try to be Christ-like? Isn't the body the temple of Christ? You can have as many tattoos' as you like. But I have a problem when people try to justify them. It's wrong. Scripture says its wrong. End of story.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Scripture says it wrong to cut one's self and mark one's self "for the dead." This was a religious thing done to honor the dead. If a Christian gets a tattoo today that is occultic or represents another religion, that would be wrong. But it's wrong because of what it represents.

You ask if Jesus would get a tattoo today. How do you know he wouldn't? You could ask these questions, too:

Would Jesus get in the cockpit of a plane and bomb cities (yet most Christians endorse doing this for a war)?

Would Jesus drink in a bar (many Christians have no problem with this)?

Would Jesus play a violent video game (many Christians do)?

10. Eltrow

Eltrow New Member

He wouldn't need to. He will come one day and destroy those that have rebelled against Him with the Sword that goes out of His mouth.
    And because christians endorse something does not make it right. Governments are instituted by God to execute His judgement on earth.

I don't think so. Again there will be many who will be told by Christ "I never knew you."

Again I don't think so. Once again you show the depth of depravity the church is sinking to.

The doctrine of Balaam is in the church, teaching them to curse themselves.

11. Brent

Brent New Member

I've got tattoo's a got after I was saved. I've since rededicated myself. I follow the word of God daily, as well as I can.

Does my having tatoo's mean I'll spend eternity in hell?

12. todaysjane

todaysjane New Member

NO!!!!! I don't believe that there is anything wrong with getting tattoos as long as they don't represent something "evil" but if they were wrong and you sinned by getting them and you recognized that and asked for forgivenss then God forgives you. That's what Christ died for, to forgive our sins so we don't have to go to hell. Again, I DON'T think it's a sin to get tattooed but if you believe it is then ask forgivenes and don't get anymore. God loves you in spite of your earthly doings. [​IMG]

13. todaysjane

todaysjane New Member

Do you think Jesus would have a tattoo if he were on Earth today? Aren't we supposed to try to be Christ-like? Isn't the body the temple of Christ? You can have as many tattoos' as you like. But I have a problem when people try to justify them. It's wrong. Scripture says its wrong. End of story. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Yes, I believe we are supposed to try to be Christ-like. I'm in love with my God and I want to praise him in every area of my life. As for the question of wether or not Christ would have had tattoos, that isn't for anyone to say because we truly don't know.
    Jesus was perfect and without sin yet he ate with the sinners, he was not concerned with what others thought about that he was concerned with their souls.
    I'm not going to try and convince you that tattoos are ok with God because that's really not my place to do so. If God has convicted you on the issue I praise God that you are able to recognize that and follow those convictions. I would just be careful about condemning others when really it's just your "oppinion" that tattoos are wrong.
    Even though I don't think my tattoos are wrong I still don't go around flaunting them if I think it will cause my brother to stumble.
    I honestley, and this is my own oppionion, don't think God has a problem that his name in Greek is on my left wrist and his name for me "beloved" is on my right wrist in hebrew. And I really don't think it makes him sad when people ask me what Galatians 2:20 says when they see it written on my back....."I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."
    To have a chance to explain what that means is incredible. And then it goes even further and opens a door to explain that God is not a God of legalism.
    If this is turning into a heated discussion I hope that we will end this debate. I'm just excited that I get a chance to share my passion for my God!
    [​IMG]

14. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cix asked:
    I don't think He would. It's against Jewish Law.
    I seem to recall a Scripture in the Old Testament against markings on the body. Remember, He fulfilled all the law.

15. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    However, for a believer to ask if he should have a tatoo ? Personally, I don't even think this should be asked. I mean, hey, it's nice to have a tatoo, but, like everything else, one day you might wake up wishing you never had it.

Today's generation call it 'skin art', but what's so artsy about something you can't remove as easy as beautiful art on a canvas hanging on a wall.

I mean, we only got one skin, man. Better to keep it clean.

I got a big tatoo of a sputnik on my right thigh, had it put on when I was 16 and thought I was invincible and immortal. I got another one on my left shoulder, one small one on my left hand between the thumb and the forefinger, and another one on my left leg.

Wish I didn't have them.

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

TodaysJane, I'm with you. I think your tatoos are cool. Keep on sharing your passion for Christ!

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

P-Baptist, thanks for sharing how you feel. I respect your views. Do you get flak from Christians on your tatoos? Flak at your church?

Your statement about when you were 16 and thought you were immortal and invicible is so on the mark! Aren't all 16 year olds like that? ;)

18. todaysjane

todaysjane New Member

pinoybaptist,
    I think it's totally fine when you think tattoos are a dumb thing to do, everyone has their own oppinion. I just don't understand the people who think that it's a sin and you're basically going to hell if you do have one.
    I'm glad I waited until I was 21 to get my first tattoo and put some thought into it. Who knows, maybe I'll end up regretting it when I get a little older or maybe I won't. All I know is I don't think it's a sin and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to hell becuase I have a few.
    I guess sometimes I just wish people could admit that their oppinions are just that, "oppinions". But hey, our world is not perfect. As long as we can agree that Christ is our saviour then that's really all that matters, right?

19. todaysjane

todaysjane New Member

I guess there are more important things I could be thinking about, it's just fun to debate...and it has been fun talking with everyone on here. [​IMG]

20. Eltrow

Eltrow New Member

No absolutely not!
    Do christians commit all kinds of sins? Yes.
    Do they loose their salvation? No.

As you can see by my posts I don't approve of tattoos, and it is because I believe they are contrary to the word of God. But sin also has consequences especially to believers.
    but we have a remedy:
    LT