1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Tattoos

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Servent, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Servent

Servent Member

1. Never on my face.

2. The cost for( DO YOUR BEST, TRUST GOD, NEVER QUIT ISAIAH 12: 2&4 ) was 60.00. Remember I only did this for myself as a reminder. .

#21 Servent, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2015
  2. Gib

Gib Active Member

Same could be said about earrings and other piercings. Why would anyone want to poke holes in their bodies?

3. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nudists use the same logic.

4. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

While in Basic, a Drill Sergeant asked me what I thought about tattoos. I used the "temple of God" argument. He asked, didn't the decorate the temple? I responded with " a tattoo is permanent ". He said, " So was plating something with gold".

I have no problem with tattoos, now. But remember, they're permanent. If you want a tattoo, but don't know what you want, you want one for the wrong reasons.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

5. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Old age is the perfect time to get a tattoo. You will not live long enough for them to fade and the skin cannot stretch anymore.

6. Servent

Servent Member

If you were the tattoo type, would put a tattoo on you arm that says (HAVE YOU?) As a conversation starter to have you repented of your sins and ask Jesus for forgiveness.

7. Gib

Gib Active Member

Nah, just have a local t-shirt shop make you up several shirts with "Have You?" on it and wear them when you're out and about. More people will see it on a shirt than scrawled on your arm somewhere.

8. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a big fan of them, but that's largely a cultural preference, not a moral one.

9. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I was to get one, I would either get a crusader's cross, or the logo of a group I belong to with the words umquam evinco on the top rocker and nunquam ut concede on the lower.

But I don't see that happening.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Lev. 19:28 teaches the children of the promise not to mark their bodies. Some translations (NASB) render "mark" as tattoo.

The world keeps changing, when I was young, getting tattooed was unchristian. We are supposed to be all about how we look on the inside, rather than how we look on the outside. Picture a person with a cigarette in his mouth, a bottle of beer in his hand, and an ear with multiple jewels. On his forearms are tattoos. Could we be so bold as to say he seems not to be striving very hard to be an ambassador of Christ?

11. Servent

Servent Member

I'm glade Jesus will be my judge and not some others.

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not to make gashes on your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves; I am Yahweh."

You must not slash your body for a dead person or incise a tattoo on yourself. I am the LORD.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pagan's disfigured their bodies to get attention of their deities, humanism anybody.

15. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the same chapter of Leviticus it also says:

19 ‘You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together.

and

27 You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard.

So, I ask, do you wear clothes of mixed material? Do you shave? How do you pick and choose what you want to obey and what you ignore?

16. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Japan, tattoos were traditionally only worn by yakuza, the Japanese version of traditional organized crime. The longer they were in, the more they covered their body with tattoos. The Japanese method is painful, so it was a traditional rite of passage. I

We had a missionary friend who got a tattoo while in the US Navy decades before. He kept it covered because of the reputation.

Nowadays in Japan more and more young people are getting tattoos. Why? They are following the trend set by silly American young people.

17. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to tell a story here. Can't hold it back.

Missionary Dave was planning a children's evangelistic meeting down in Tokyo back in the day before anyone but yakuza had tattoos. Unfortunately, he couldn't get the Japanese man to rent him the hall he wanted to hold the meetings in.

Dave asked Dick, my friend with the navy tattoo, to go with him the next time. Dick did not yet know Japanese, so he wondered what this was all about. Dave coached him, "Roll your sleeve up, and when I get the word, rest your arm on the counter."

Sure enough, the owner of the hall turned Dave down again, whereupon Dave gave his signal and Dick rested his arm on the counter. The Japanese man gave a gasp, and immediately rented the hall to Dave. Such is the power of a presumed yakuza tattoo in Japan! :laugh:

18. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Never heard of Henna, so I did a quick search. As usual you leave out some details.

http://southasianpeoples.imb.org/resources/sub/henna-the-gospel

Seeing how that some of these wives will likely be traveling abroad as missionaries, and/or working here in the states with an ever growing ethnic population, I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing.

Are you against face paint at VBS or kid's ministry functions too? :saint:

#38 Thousand Hills, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2015
  19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? My link is straight from the Seminary and describes how they can use their brown stains to witness. Thank you, I guess, for the additional link?

Enough with the false insinuations. :confused:

20. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Your quote and depiction of these ladies is there for everyone to see. (Unless someone has you on ignore which would mean they would have to take you off ignore in order to see it, not necessarily saying a multitude of fellow BB'ers would have you on ignore, but if they did that is what they would need to do.).