1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taxation with representation?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by billwald, Oct 26, 2009.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    For other uses, see Republic (disambiguation).
    A republic is a form of government in which the head of state is not a monarch[1] and the people (or at least a part of its people)[2] have an impact on its government.[3][4] The word 'republic' is derived from the Latin phrase res publica which can be translated as "a public affair".

In theory, one of justifications for the American Revolution was "taxation without representation." Why, then, are most of the complaints in this sub-list and most of the complaints in my local papers about taxation with representation? If both situations are intolerable then the solution is????

I suggest that the names and addresses of all qualified voters be posted on the web. Then any voter could propose a new law. If 20% of the voters sign on to his initiative then a special court puts it into legal language. The voters then have 3 months to sign on to the proposed law. If 60% sign on it becomes law. All voters names will be posted on the web.

This would be a great cost saving measure. The House of Representatives could be scrapped. The Senate would mostly discuss foreign and domestic policy.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to mention in the Declaration of Independence the "taxation without representation" was
    # 18 out 28 items that were of concern.

Now, why do we complain so much. Most, if not all TAXPAYERS do not have a problem paying their fair share of taxes for legitimate govt expense. The reason we complain is because our taxes are being use for excessive social programs - welfare, food stamps, housing ect. These necessities are the responsibility of the individual. If a person cannot take care of himself, than there are plenty of social agencies, including churches to give proper and probably better service for these individuals.

Many people say they are taxpayers, but when I asked how much of their withholding they got back from Uncle Sam, and they tell me all of it, then they are no longer a taxpayer. But they think they are.
    And then it gets worse when a "taxpayer" gets more money back then what was withheld from his pay. (ie earned income credit) Over 40 million Americans paid no income tax! and the 5 % of the highest paid Americans paid a whopping 53 % of all income tax collected in the US

Another words why should someone who pays NO tax, be permitted to say how to spend the money of those who do pay. Check this link about taxpayers, I put on another thread

Salty

ps - no I am not in the top 5%, more like the top 50% of working Americans

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "then a special court puts it into legal language." This is a big loopy hole.

OR has an initiative process. Gather enough signatures and it goes to the state for a vote.

The latest one got the signatures but the committee that wrote the legal language gave the thing such a convoluted title that noone can know for sure whether yes means yes or no or if no means yes or no. Now the guys behind the thing have to go to court to make the court "plain" up the language :laugh: