1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Taxing Churches

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by plain_n_simple, Aug 1, 2014.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

But you don't present all the facts. It is evident that you don't even read the links you provide. Did you read it?
    Here, in part, is what is says:
    IOW, if you attempt to contact any of your elected representatives and express your displeasure against abortion or homosexuality or any other such issue, your tax exempt status can be revoked. This would be especially true if some of your members did this and identified themselves as members of or representatives of your church.
    The Catholic Church does this all the time. As Catholics they are against abortion, against contraceptives, etc.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 501c3 letter can be revoked. Even without it churches are still tax exempt. You have no idea what you are talking about.

http://www.lc.org/media/9980/attachments/pastors_churches_and_politics4pg.pdf

#22 Revmitchell, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
  3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Way back in May of 2000
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.wnd.com/2000/05/4497/[/FONT]

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was not the whole story. It went beyond that ruling to federal court. The federal judge ruled they can revoke the 501c3 letter but that that would have no effect on the tax exempt status.

For whatever reason you are wanting it to be true but I have provided both an attorney's statement on the pierce creek churchand the IRS which makes it clear.

Maybe you should stick to Canadian laws.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

More information:
    Also it is good to know:
    <br>http://www.freechurchaccounting.com/tax-exempt-status.html<br><br><br>&nbsp;Things aren't always what they seem.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It was the story as reported by WND. I didn't make it up.

There is an American pastor pastoring a church here. Because of his familiarity with some of the laws concerning separation of church and state he is the only one in this area that will not register his church and give out tax receipts. I chalk it up to that drilled-in American skepticism of government.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    all that means is that church member will not be able to deduct his offerings off his taxes - that if he files Schedule A

I file 1040 A - so my contributions are not tax deductible. but you know what - I would want a transcript of what I give to the church anyways......

#27 Salty, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
  8. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

What the appeals court actually said was...

"According to the court’s decision, the church may also reapply for tax-exempt status as long as it does not engage in campaign speech regarding a particular candidate. And, it does not have to pay taxes on donations given to the church despite the fact that its tax-exempt status had been previously revoked."

That has nothing whatsoever to do with other taxes, fees, etc. I can find no proof it went to the SCOTUS. The ACLJ seems to think they lost tax exempt status, and they were handling the case.

http://www.wnd.com/2000/05/4497/

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to go back a reread my posts.