1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Td Jakes: I Got Goose Bumps From Watching Obama Win.. Thoughts???

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Jun 5, 2008.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Commentary: Obama nomination gives 'goose bumps'Story Highlights
    Bishop T.D. Jakes: "I congratulate Sen. Obama on this historic accomplishment"

By Bishop T.D. Jakes

Editor's note: Bishop T.D. Jakes is founder and senior pastor of The Potter's House of Dallas, Texas, a multiracial, nondenominational church with more than 50 outreach ministries.

"It is a victory for democracy that proves that our country provides possibilities for all people," writes Jakes.

(CNN) -- Last night, I like most Americans of all stripes, watched with visible goose bumps as history was made. I sat with my 13-year-old son and looked from the screen to his eyes as Sen. Barack Obama became the first African American in history to lead a U.S. major-party ticket when he claimed the nomination for the Democratic Party for president of the United States.

I congratulate Sen. Obama on this historic accomplishment. I thank him for accepting the torch that was lit by our forefathers and proudly carrying it through the darkness of our struggles, trials and tribulations, bringing light and hope to a new generation, and for facing all those who said "No" and "You can't win," or "It will never happen," and firmly, proudly, defiantly saying, "Yes I can!"

However, what I really hope people take away from that night is that this is not just a victory for African Americans, it is a victory for democracy that proves that our country provides possibilities for all people. It is also a sign that a metamorphosis is in progress. Today we saw that Americans respect experience, but are interested in change. I hope that we can somehow merge the best ideas of our differences and emerge with a president who epitomizes our highest and best ideals. While it remains unclear where we are going, last night proves that we as a people have moved beyond business as usual.

I congratulate not just Sen. Obama on his victory, but the country on this landmark event that has shattered a past all too often filled with reasons to separate us as opposed to a voice of reason to unite us. The victory cup does not rest on the shoulders of the senator alone, but to all those who have been able to lift the conversation from petty racism, antiquated cut-throat politics, and fear-based campaigns to the larger issues of how we would like to see our country led into the future and ultimately how our country will be remembered.

As the days and discussions of this political season continue, it is my sincere hope and prayer that we do not sink back into the abyss of political pettiness that has plagued our country and our lives for so many years. I am grateful to Sen. Hillary Clinton for giving, through this campaign, a chance for my daughters to see that their femininity is not a liability. Today both my sons and daughters came to understand that their ethnicity isn't viewed by progressive Americans as a limitation or a liability.

For me it was almost déjà vu as I sat with my son. I remembered a little over 40 years ago watching the famous King speech with my dad. Similarly, I watched with my youngest son last night as a historical moment unfolded. He and I saw the dreams of slaves come true as the sons of slaves and the slave owners clapped their hands in one progressive sweep. As I drifted into sleep, all I could see was the twinkle in my son's eyes. His eyes were illuminated with possibilities, and his heart was filled with the potential of what is attainable for qualified, competent people of all types who prepare themselves intellectually and are well vested with a divine sensitivity to the "fierce urgency of now!"

2. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

It looks to me like another "man of God" has compromised biblical morality and good judgement in order to support a man because of his color, and not because of what he stands for.

Unfortunately, I am afraid many will choose to support Obama because 1. He is not a republican, and they want ANYBODY that is not a republican. and 2. He is black (partly) and for for many folks this is enough.

They overlook his radical left voting record, his inexperience, and his ties to questionable people and radical groups.

AJ

3. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

I have a question is OBAMA for abortions? If so, then he wont get my vote... for that matter is McCain is for abortions, he wont get it either... :tonofbricks:

4. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Yes, Obamas voting record shows that he is pro abortion....he has also stated this.

He even went so far as to vote for a bill that would allow doctors to withhold medical attention to an aborted fetus that is accidentally removed alive. In other words, just ignore it until it dies.

McCain currently holds a pro life stance, although that has been in question in the past. However, since he is on the ticket as a republican he certainly will be required by the party to continue with a pro life agenda.

Also, if you are morrally minded, Obama is pro gay also......wanting to extend all the rights of real marraiges to gay couple, thus recognizing and legitimizing gay relationships.

AJ

5. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

This is not good then.. that is bad.. I mean.. If I vote for someone who is pro abortions and pro gay marriages... I am basically supporting that.. This is so confusing.. :BangHead:

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is it confusing? It seems rather cut-and-dry.

7. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Yeah.. its just how can ministers support candidates who have those views... its just nuts..

8. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Sometimes I read posts on this BB that cause me to reel in disbelief.

When reading TD Jakes commentary I read nothing more than an African American who has been deeply moved by this historic event. Period.

It is as normal as the sun coming up in the morning for he and all African Americans to feel exactly as he does. I thought his his commentary was beautiful and very well written. Having a black man nominated as a major partys candidate for president is no doubt a monumentally historic event, and as a white American I can not comprehend fully how monumental it must be for black Americans.

To turn his heartflet commentary into an opportunity to spew political attacks is just mind boggling to me.

And for the record....I dont see anywhere in that commentary where Mr Jakes says who he is going to vote for.

Mike

#8 D28guy, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2008
  9. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I agree with D28guy. Jakes did not endorse Obama. He said ... and I agree that it was beautifully done ... that both the Obama and the Hillary Clinton candidacies demonstrated to today's children that the range of possibilities for them is wider than ever before. My daughter said much the same thing, as her children are products of an interracial marriage. Let's be aware of the sense of pride this occasion represents for people who have lived with a feeling of being thought second-rate.

10. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

If my own brother supported abortion and gay rights, and he was nominated for POTUS, I would not have goose bumps....I would feel disgust.

I myself am mulatto, and I feel no pride that our country is trying to elect such a left wing extremist...regarless of what color his skin is.

AJ

11. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

To me TD Jakes comes across pretty fake. That's my impression which I got after watching him preach. Sure, he starts to sweat and raises his voice but this all seems like theater to me. He does exactly what he has to do to get the crowd going. Why can't he simply preach and stay calm and stop sweating and simply cut all the acting? I don't get it. Maybe this is a black thing but then I don't understand why blacks need this sort of preaching.
    Imagine Jakes, Obama and new-age Oprah forming an unholy alliance, lol. In this case the republicans have very slim chances.

#11 xdisciplex, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2008
  12. trustitl

trustitl New Member

I don't know who TD Jakes is but he cannot be all that intelligent if it took Barack Hussein Obama getting the nomination of the Democratic party for him to see that things have changed in America and skin color does not hold people back. Obama has already been elected to the US Senate, one of the most powerful positions in America. Clarence Thomas is on the Supreme Court. Condi Rice is the Sec. of State, as was Colin Powell. Blacks are CEOs of Fortune 500 companies, presidents of colleges, members of Congress, governors, etc.

For blacks to support Obama because he is black is shameful and exhibits that racism is a two-edged sword. I think ML King would be disappointed to hear so many black Americans say they are going to vote for him because of the color of his skin. That is not the dream he had for this country.

It is time black Americans stop playing the victim and take advantage of the great opportunities that exist in this great country. Those that have moved on are succeeding in ways that generations before them never dreamed possible while countless more are being victimized by black leaders that get their power from playing the victim card and perpetuating black dependency on big governement.

Also, it is time white Americans stop feeling guilty over things our grandparents did and thought. I fear many whites will vote for him to "prove" that we are not a racist nation. I would vote for a black president in a heartbeat if he or she would lead this country in the direction it should go.

13. D28guy

D28guy New Member

xdisciplex posted...

(bolding mine)

Classic. Racism 101.

As a white American I find your post exceedingly offensive.

There are many ways to preach, xdisciplex. There isnt just *one* style that God approves of.

I have heard many black preachers preach and its just as calm and relaxed as anyone else. I've heard many white preachers who get all worked up and actually out-do Jakes in the ways you mention.

God has chosen to create His people, both white and black, with great variety and many different likes, dislikes, and personality traits. So...its no wonder that God gives different ministers of his different ways to deliver a message.

Sadly,

Mike

14. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Trustiti,

Hmmm. So, you can discern that TD Jakes isnt very "intelligent"?

Are you sure you want to go there?

And everyone...including TD Jakes...knows that.

None of that rises to the level of being nominated to be a major party's nominee for President of the United States. This is a huge historical event, and blacks have every right to be extremely proud of it.

Mike

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

To fillin some blanks about T.D. Jakes, he is a Oneness Pentecostal, and thus denies the Trinity and will not baptize in the name of the Trinity. He also embraces the heretical prosperity theology.

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I believe the entire country has reason's to be proud. It shows how far we've come as a nation not as a race. Maybe, out on the horizon, is the day MLK dream will be realized.

17. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Seems everybody is becoming as proud of America as Michelle, and as proud of Barack as T.D Jakes and Oprah. My, it's almost like were bursting at the seams with pride. Black pride, gay pride, white pride, National pride. If you are lacking in pride today we suggest you take pride sensitivity training and become part of this pride movement that is sweeping our nation! If you are not full of pride and proud as a peacock over what is taking place in America today, the BB has a category for prayer requests so that others can pray for you and your lack of pride, because if you are not proud there is definitely a cure for that. Yes Sirree, pride is definitely the in thing today! All over the world the pride of a man of color being nominated as the Democratic Presidential Nominee has made other countries proud of us. So, we have not only raised the level of pride in our own country, we have managed to elevate the pride meter all over the world, and pride is a good thing. Vote Obama and get your pride today! You'll be proud you did! :thumbs:

Pride-Better than Cornbread and Buttermilk

18. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Le Buick,

Oh, I agree completely. All of us should be proud. But the African Americans have a much different history than most whites do, and this has to be *particularly* satisfying to them.

Mike

19. here now

here now Member

According to his belief statement he believes in the Trinity. Here's a link.

http://www.thepottershouse.org/v2/content/view/18/32/

In Christ,
    Here Now

20. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Hi Mike,
    I know that there are also white preachers which raise their voices but I have never seen a white preacher do it in such a manner. I have also never seen white preachers which sweat like crazy and constantly havve to wipe their foreheads. I'm not saying that all black preachers are this way but many do this stuff and to me it simply seems like it's acted. Also they way they talk and pronounce the words. It seems like a certain "style" which you simply copy. I wonder who came up with this in the first place. If you can tell me a white preacher who does the same then do it. I'm curious. But even if white preachers also do it then I still wouldn't like it but maybe that's just me.