1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Teachers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by th1bill, Jun 19, 2012.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I think that is a most excellent way for the committee to have chosen.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Incorrect. Teachers is a gifted person. 1 Cor. A pastor/bishop/elder must be able to teach or they are not qualified to be Pastor/bishop/elder. 1Tim.

3. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have already posted from Timothy, your post would apply IF one considers the Elder/pastor as a single office.

Some do not.

Some view that the office of Elder does NOT include pastor. In that view, Pastor is a gift, just as teacher is a gift.

Scripturally, Elders must be gifted teachers and have documented historical success recognized by the congregation before they are appointed and anointed as an Elder. For the most part the Elder then would not be one who comes from "outside" the congregation and is "elected" as a pastor might as a candidate, for, according to Scriptures, the Elder is selected from within the ranks of the assembly.

Therefore a pastor may be selected by the assembly, and may not even preach a message. As an oversight shepherd the pastor may be involved in shepherding the disabled, the widows and orphans, the homeless, the financial oversight, or any other of a great number of areas.

In that view, the Pastor, and Elder may or may not be gifted teachers.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I just believe what it says.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No!

For the gift to teach/expound/make relevant the Bible is NOT gained from formal education as anecessity, but through the enabling from the Spirit!

the person has ability to see/perceive/teach the truths of the Bible in a fashion that others can and will learn from it!

its good to learn netter techniques, learn how to stud y the Bible, learn original languages and use them etc, but still need that foundational teaching gift to build upon!

6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Totally agree!!!!

Exactly what I stated in a lot more words in a previous post about teachers.

Perhaps in the length of the post, it became lost.

I really have to work on more editing to shorten the posts! :tonofbricks: