1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Teaching Baptist History in church

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by baptistteacher, Nov 18, 2009.

1. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

How often is Baptist History taught in your church? How is it approached, and in what setting/class? Is it ever taught in your church?
    Have you ever had a "Baptist History Month," where perhaps a Sunday night or Wednesday night is dedicated to Baptist History and/or Distinctives for the month?

I ask this because it seems that many Baptists are totally clueless regarding our history and heritage, as was I for many years.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've never heard of it done before in our church. But then again, while we are "Baptist" by name, we are not strictly "Baptist" by heritage in that we never belonged to a larger group or anything. Instead, I'd define us as Bible-following and as such, we do study the Bible a lot. :)

3. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

Our church doesn't belong to a larger group, we are independent Baptists. But we are Baptist in doctrine and heritage, and as such we need to know the heritage, or lose it - and thus risk loosing the doctrine along with it, as I have seen happen.

Yes, our doctrine is Bible doctrine, as you said. But without a knowledge of what our ancestors withstood
    at the hands of many "religionists" in order to maintain the purity of that doctrine, the attitude can easily become "Oh well, it's not that important anyway."

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even if you do not (formally) fellowship with other Baptists, I believe it is important to have a general working knowledge of all the different Baptist groups.

5. MrJim

MrJim New Member

Never ever~~I guess there's not that much since it's only what, 300 years old?:laugh: Lot of gaps to fill in between the apostles and whoever wants to be the first group to claim the term "baptist".

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I've done some very short sketches here and there, not just re:Baptist History but Church History as well. Most people are anti-history. Christians shouldn't be. We stand on others' shoulders. Much of the Bible is historical narrative.

I've always wanted to do 16 consecutive weeks on Baptist history, Church history, or historical theology, but haven't done it yet.

The more I talk about it, the more I want to do it!

7. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptist history

I for one would be very interested in your topic of Baptist history. Go for it.
    Tom Riggle

8. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

About a year and a half ago, I taught on a Sunday night on "Baptist Distinctives" and included a little Baptist history with that.

I am currrently teaching the teen class a series on Baptist Distinctives, and prefaced it with a few lessons on Baptist history. Teaching Baptist distinctives serves a double purpose - 1. What makes us different as Baptists from other denominations - 2. A good way to teach basic doctrines.

9. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Agreed. It seems churches (and therefore people) don't want to talk about the past, they always want to look ahead, which is good, but I wonder sometimes, are they afraid of the past or they just don't know it?

One of the first things I look for in a church website is their history. Not every church wants to talk about their history. I found that interesting.

I've done a study with our church about the general history of the United Baptists and some interesting historical tidbits involving them.

10. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

About 20 years ago I taught a series of classes on Baptist history. The material we used was published by Lifeway (known then as the Sunday School Board). We did it on four to six Sunday nights. If they had the material then, they probably still have it so I would suggest checking with Lifeway. Incidentally, I must have done a very good job of teaching it because we haven't had anything on Baptist history since then. :laugh: