1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Teaching Evangelism

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by pocadots1990, Jan 13, 2007.

1. pocadots1990

pocadots1990 Member

I pastor a church of about 25 people. This church has been through a lot of problems in the past. This year, God has really impressed on my heart to teach my congregation how to witness.

When I approached the congregation about buying material that will cost about $400, I met some resistance. One person said "Why don't you just study the Bible and not buy any material at all?" A few other people did not like the time in which I wanted to teach (during Sunday School) because they are teachers. If I mentioned doing it on a Saturday morning, then people were complaining about that time as well.

I am a bi-vocational pastor that teaches/preaches 4 times a week. I have two young daughters (10 & 6) and a wife that needs my time as well. Can you give me some suggestions about curriculum to use? Also, do you think using Sunday evening services will be a good time to teach it?

Thanks for all of your help.

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I have always heard that 'soul-winning is more caught than taught'. My experiences in the USA and on the mission field have proven this to be true.

Would it be possible for you to take a man and your wife another lady with you on visits? That might be a good way to introduce them to the joy of winning someone to Christ. That also might break down some of the resistance you are facing.

I am not a big fan of programs of any kind. They usually bring a brief spark of energy and then die out quickly. Faithful, consistent living by example is the best 'program' of church motivation there is.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Sword of the Lord has many very cheap pamphlets and books on soul winning, anywhere from 60 cents to $9.56. Some of them teach methods of witnessing and others just try to get you fired up. You could order some pamphlets or a book or two and go through them with your folk.

Check it out at: www.swordofthelord.com

God bless!

John

P. S. Yes, I think Sunday evenings would be a great time. Do you have a "training union" time before the evening service?

#3 John of Japan, Jan 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2007
  4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said, Mexdeaf! :thumbs:

5. pocadots1990

pocadots1990 Member

You are right 'soul-winning is more caught than taught'. It all begins with having a burden to reach people for Christ. I have had one person to tell me that she would love to reach out but she does not know what to say or how to respond to other people.

We do not have a Sunday evening "Training union" time before the service. We could do that.

Thanks Mexdeaf for what you said about our actions. I have been preaching on that issue for a while now. There are a couple of people who have said that they will not come to our church because of one family and their testimony. I have two responses about that, one is we need to watch our testimony and the other is that any is looking for an excuse not to attend church.

6. whatever

whatever New Member

I was once temporarily part of a church where I visited an ex-member who said the same thing. This couple had been through great trials and really needed ministering to, but she would not come back to this church because "those people just cannot get along with each other". After I had been at the church for just a little while I came to agree with her, and I could not blame her for not attending.

I do not know whether the case at your church is similar, but it could be that you need to do some evangelism within the church before you can stir up your church to do evangelism on the outside. I pray that God would grant you wisdom to meet the needs of your people and that they would follow your leadership in accordance with Hebrews 13:17.

7. Rachel

Rachel New Member

8. bapmom

bapmom New Member

One large church I was at had a very effective way of teaching us how to witness. They had a brief teaching time every Saturday morning before we went out visiting/door knocking/tract handing. There were simple lessons on how to approach people - politely, etc. - and specific verses given out which would effectively answer common questions we see on the street. This was not a program that taught a script, but it did give us tools to use so that we could find the answers we needed to give to people. This was also the time when questions we might have would be answered by teachers who were experienced soul-winners.

Since it was done directly before going out, it was fresh on our minds. This also gave us the excitement we needed to get out there immediately before we actually went out there. There's no lag time, like there would be if the lesson is done in Sunday School or a Wednesday evening.

9. Brother Randall

Brother Randall New Member

10. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

11. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

12. Rachel

Rachel New Member

That doesn't seem like bad prices. But you could do it like they do at wayofthemaster, when they go fishing, and it wouldn't cost anything. Law to the proud, grace to the humble. :)
    It's wild isn't it how most people think they are "good". Man. I used to think that way too.

13. mima

mima New Member

Learning to evangelize

About this time last year a man after watching me witness and pray with a person asked me how can I become a soulwinner? I told him to go home get in his prayer closet and ask the Lord for a burden for loss souls. Later I understood that he was winning many people to the Lord when finally I got to meet him again he said to me, I did what you suggested I do and the Lord did exactly the same thing for me that he did for you years ago. The Lord has made me a soulwinner, I have stumbled, mumbled, made outrageous statements, misstated the facts, had to stop witnessing and look at my outline that I had to take out of my pocket and still the Lord blessed me with the thrill of leading others to his kingdom. Words cannot express what the Lord has done for me. I'm not smart, I'm not rich, I'm not young, yet the Lord has used me.
    Today I work right beside this man sometimes and the blessings continued unabated. All I can say is if the Lord makes you a soulwinner you will indeed be as soulwinner.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Brother,

Anything will cost you time. Any method of evangelism will take time away from your family - you will have to spend time on the study yourself.

First, can you encourage one (or two) of the men of the church to take over responsibility for one or two of the sermons that you are preparing weekly? I must admit that 4 times a week is admirable - but, time consuming.

Can you then enlist the men to partner together with you in fellowship once a week for 3 months . . . saturday morning breakfasts at the church might be a good method of enlisting their participation.

Invite them over for the supper bowl (miss sunday night service if possible) march madness . . . enlist them in 'manly' activities and encourage them to invite their friends -ESPECIALLY the lost and unchurched. This is not to grow the church by proselytizing.

As you prepare for the men's get togethers (team meetings), I suggest you read some stuff by that Rice Character. Forgive me John.

http://www.swordofthelord.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm/ID/442

http://www.swordofthelord.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm/ID/521

http://www.swordofthelord.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm/ID/471

The Evangelist

http://www.swordofthelord.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm/ID/4198

PM me your address and I will send you a copy of The Evangelist - it is the best available book that I have found on the work of the Evangelist.

With Christ after the Lost - Scarborough This is OP (out of print) but get it if you can - sorry John, I think this is a little better than The Evangelist. Personally, I think it is one of the three best books written in the last century. The third book in the Pastor's Library should be Southern Baptist program of evangelism by C. E. Matthews - also OP.

mmm ... gotta wonder if this has been addressed by anyone on the board . . .

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=34471

:saint:

I'll post more later if you want . . . not that evangelism and church growth are things that I consider important . . . (not to be confused with proselytizing).

;)

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

"I offered God every excuse I could. He would take none of them. 'Preach, preach!' he seemed to cry in my heart. I read several Scriptures, but came finally to the sixteenth chapter of Luke, the story of the rich man and Lazarus. I read on to the place where the rich man saw there was no escape from hell for him . . .
    I heard that pitiful call of that Christless soul in hell, appealing for someone to go to his five brothers and preach to them the gospel of repentance. The load was too heavy. I cried, ‘I surrender: take me, Lord Jesus . . . Ever since that hour I have been looking for the brothers of that Christless soul in hell [emphasis added]."

Can we do as R. L. Scarborough did?

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

17. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

And remember that you must believe. With all of your heart, you must know that you stand between them and eternity in Hell. For some reason, that little difference allows the Holy Spirit to work through you mightily.

I will be praying for you.

Wayne
    PS - If you need a faith booster - pm me.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post, mima! :thumbs:

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rice character indeed! I'm more of a character than Grandpa was! [​IMG]

20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

m m m m

I am not so sure about that . . . He put up with J. Frank . . .

Unless you might be saying that you're havin' to put up with me?

:saint:

Wayne