1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"teaching you in public and from house to house"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by whatever, Apr 22, 2006.

1. whatever

whatever New Member

- Acts 20:18-21

Anyone here have a pastor who teaches from house to house? Ever heard of one?

Baxter as Beethoven

2. Seth&Mattsmom

Seth&Mattsmom New Member

Sure...my pastor and his wife and other members from the church go door-to-door witnessing. Isn't that teaching?

3. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Anyone here have a pastor who teaches from house to house? Ever heard of one?

The first-century church met in homes. Paul went house to house because they didn't have one big building where they could fit the whole church like we have today.

4. whatever

whatever New Member

But it says "in public and from house to house". What was "in public" then?

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Well, sometimes the church met in the synagogues, and it's not unlikely that sometimes they would gather in a public place as well.

Paul could also be making a distinction between public teaching and private, in which he ministered personally instead of congregationally.

6. whatever

whatever New Member

So you're thinking this was evangelism then? I took it for more than that.

7. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

So you're thinking this was evangelism then?

Sorry, I reconsidered what I had written, and completely rewrote it.

No, I don't think Paul is telling the Ephesians about how he did evangelism. I think he's talking about his pastoral ministry to the church.

8. genesis12

genesis12 Member

"In public" was on the one hand outside, and on the other, before the public in an enclosure. Remember Paul's "unknown god" speech?

9. mima

mima New Member

To whatever: If you want to understand how truly difficult it is for most people to believe and follow what the Bible says about Paul's teaching in public and house to house. I suggest you ask some people to accompany you in witnessing and/or teaching house to house. Oh what wonderful elaborate excuses you are yet to hear.