1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Tebow Cancels First Baptist of Dallas Appearance

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Google him and you will find his if you don't agree with me you're wrong mentality aplenty. He claims to just be presenting the truths of scripture but does so in such an abrasive and caustic way it instead violates the whole idea of speaking truth in love

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm...sounds familiar, does he post here?

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you're wrong. He is a fundamentalist nut because of what he says. That's what makes him a nut. Even he has come to realize his caustic rhetoric needed to change

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765621458/Evangelical-churches-refine-message-on-gay-issues.html

Because of his very narrow literalistic interpretation of scripture, his dispensationalism, his bias toward women in ministry (just a few examples) make him a fundamentalist.

5. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

Ok, before I google, let me get something straight. Do you agree with his truths of scripture, you just disagree with the way he presents them? Is that what makes him a fundamentalist nut?

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that scripture is true, don't put a lot of stock in Jeffress. I'm not going to split hairs on my hyperbole concerning Jeffress, could have used several different expressions, happened to choose nut. He is a fundamentalist as I briefly mentioned to Remitchell earlier.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And, thanks for proving my point.

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How exactly is being a fundamentalist a good thing? Hasn't ever worked, ever. Believing in the fundamental elements of the faith is good, but it's not the same as being a fundamentalist, not a good thing.

9. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why does this surprize you?

I think, from what I've seen, Tebow is for real....but in this case he took bad advice in order to protect his product and name. Instead of standing for Jesus, he apparently made a choice to appease the world. If this is the case, it is toooooo bad! Maybe next time he'll grow up and stand for Jesus! :thumbsup:

10. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

My Answer

What makes one what the WORLD OR the liberal church calls a "fundamentalist nut" is taking an unwavering stand for the Bible and its truths, values, and standards without apology to anybody either outside (or inside) the church. I also think that for someone who is a professing Christian to "sit in the cheap seats" (like on this forum) and call fellow brothers in Christ and God-called Pastors or Preachers unkind names is a sad shame and a disgrace and terrible testimony for Christ. Might be the better part of valor and grace to re-think that kind of behaviour.IMHO

Bro.Greg:praying:

#30 Gregory Perry Sr., Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2013
  11. Gregory Perry Sr.

Amen!

Oh...you mean the things the Bible ACTUALLY does teach that are so unpopular in our compromised liberalistic churches. Phew...you really had me worried for a minute. The more I hear about this guy the more I like him! Thanks for the information. I'd love to visit that church if I'm ever in Dallas!

Bro.Greg:thumbs:

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Jeffress was standing right her in front of me I wouldn't hesitate, if asked, what I thought about him or his ministry, not even for a second. He represents a type of baptist I don't want to be or become. His fundamentalism clouds the Gospel he preaches. He speaks truthful words but in what I believe to be an intentionally devise manner. So much so that one of the most outspoken Christians of our day is backing away from him. A guy who wore bible verses on his face, was part of an anti-abortion campaign, went on missions trips and prayed after scoring touchdowns. Perhaps the problem isn't with Tebows, maybe?

Here is a link to Jeffress response to Tebows cancellation

http://www.firstdallas.org/featured-news/dr-jeffress-comments-on-tebow/

There is plenty of truth there, but note how in the tv interview he says he doesn't want to throw Tebow under the bus, then throws him under the bus. Note how he doesn't miss a chance to advertise the churches upcoming grand opening or to tell us how much it cost.

13. Gregory Perry Sr.

Thank You Brother

Thank you Bro. g2c....That interview link you posted was EXCELLENT and inspite of the attempts by the media guy to mis-characterize and "trip-up" Dr. Jeffress he aquitted himself and his church family well. I really thought it was real dirty and underhanded for the media guy to try to equate or compare Pastor Jeffress and 1st Baptist Dallas with the wackos at Westboro. That was really trashy. I think Tebow really got this one wrong and let his "handlers" influence him right out of what would have honored the Lord in this instance. I feel badly for him but knowing how many stupid mistakes I have made in my lifetime I can't condemn him too harshly. I'm not near as bold as he usually is. I image it is a serious "tightrope" to walk being a Christian and a celebrity in this world. I also think thats at least one of the reasons why Billy Sunday eventually gave up Professional Baseball if I remember my history correctly. The "give away" on why this is all so wrong is when the gay female "pastor"(so-called) said she would feel comfortable INVITING TIM to speak at her church (so-called). That should speak volumes to anybody who REALLY loves God and His Word.
    On a funny note...that interview kinda makes me want to Go 2 Church!:laugh:

Bro.Greg:saint:

14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I agree with George Perry, I think interview with Pastor Jeffress was excellent. Tim is young and receiving advice from celebrity "handlers" and will certainly grow in wisdom and stature in his faith over the years.

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

If Pastor Jeffress is a fundamentalist nut, then call me one also. I'm SO tired of the limp-wristed appeasement preachers like Osteen and his ilk who keep the truth covered up.

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Best post on the thread!!!:type::type:

In today's media----if a church so much as wiggles its little toe toward the fact that ho)*ose(&*uality is a sin before Almighty God--the media immediately attempts a castration on that particular church---labeling them as another "Westboro"

17. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

Uh, the inteview I heard showed a very articulate person that did not come across as hateful, and he stated that Tebow cancelled because of pressure from his advisors. I have yet to hear any of his sermons, but so far what he has said is right on. If I believed everything the press says, I would have voted for Obama. Did Jesus cross the line when he called the Pharisees whitened sepulches, full of dead mens bones? Sometimes there is no good way to portray the awfulness of sin and those who oppose God. People mistakenly think that love equals compromise, when compromise is so far from love it isn't even funny. Not warning someone and telling them they are all right is not love. But I have not heard his sermons, so I will do that today and see what is what.
    As far as throwing Tebow under the bus, it seems to me that is what Tebow has done to him. Preachers promote their ministry and they always let you know what it costs. That has been my experience.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Listen to Dr Jeffress live streaming on KCBI-FM, 830 AM & 8 PM CST, and 3 live services on Sun AM 8 AM, 930 AM, 1050 AM. There is also a Sunday evening service at 6 PM

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Listen to DR Jeffress live streaming on KCBI-FM.

Here is the program schedule

20. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Bears repeating one more time!

:thumbsup: :applause: