1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tebow our starter!!!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by dcorbett, Oct 11, 2011.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

You were the one who said his stats, which included the 45% completion percentage, were "not bad". Let's do the math here. If his stats are "not bad", then can we reasonably conclude that you think his stats were "good"? Then can we reasonably conclude that you think he's a good QB?

I will agree that being a QB is more than passing, but you must agree that the main thing a QB should be able to do is consistently pass the ball well. And Tebow does not consistently pass the ball well. This isn't really up for debate. A QB who cannot complete more than 50% of his passes simply will not be able to keep his job on a long-term basis in the NFL. He may have short-term success, but, unless he somehow makes huge gains in accuracy, it will eventually catch up to him.

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

That doesn't matter one bit. If we can't debate sports here, then the sports section should go away.

So, you rest your case that Tebow is a good QB on one game. Well, I'm going to use 2 games to determine that he's not good and I choose the Buffalo and Kansas City games. In the week 16 Buffalo game, he was 13 for 29 for 185, had 3 picks, lost a fumble and had a rating of 37.9. In the week 17 Kansas City game, he was 6 for 22 for 60 yards with 1 pick and 1 fumble and had a rating of 20.6.

Cherry-picking 1 or 2 games to determine if a QB is good or bad is a bad idea.

Lots of other players are Christian too and they say the same thing. What does that have to do with being a good NFL QB?

3. mandym

mandym New Member

I am completely amazed by the Christian Tebow haters. Astounding

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobody on BB hates Tim Tebow. I like the guy. I hope he wins the Super Bowl. He's a great testimony. Great quarterback? Not so much. I hope he gets better at it.

And that's the whole argument--great guy, not so great of a QB. Why can't you see that?

5. mandym

mandym New Member

Sorry but your sincerity on your statements here are questionable at best because , as I have proven, when someone posts just to praise his testimony you have to tear him down.

Your attitude toward Tebow, being harsh and excessively judgmental, reminds me of why it has been said "I like your Jesus but do not like His followers".

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and I'm completely amazed by your ignorance.

Your attitude towards those here leaves you no room to call out anyone's attitude.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

There seems to be an idea in some minds that unless you are a die-hard Tebow fan and agree that he is an amazing quarterback you must not be right with God.

I like the kid. I love his testimony. I hope he does well. But it is only a game and he is not a superstar. He may be one day, but not now.

I don't think that makes me, or others who feel the same way, a hater.

8. mandym

mandym New Member

Really? Who said that?

You are ignoring some facts here. Every time someone posts something praising him (even if it is only about his testimony) others feel an uncontrollable need to respond negatively about him. So the facts are in on this.

9. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or maybe every time someone posts something about his deficient passing skills you have to pipe in and complain about it.

10. mandym

mandym New Member

Since you cannot back that up with any evidence I will assume you are grasping at straws. But you however, in post # 71, quoted someone who said nothing about his playing ability and only spoke of his testimony and turned it into an opportunity to continue your unnecessary criticism of how you see his playing ability. What is plain is folks like yourself cannot stand to see anything positive said about him regardless of the subject matter. A clear example of the hate.

#90 mandym, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  11. mandym

mandym New Member

First I have never said that but i have no problem saying that now. They are good and the "stats" are not only made up of passing. Of course in all of the unwarranted criticism I have seen the other portion of his "stats" that place him in a much better light gets left out. Gee I wonder why?

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Previously I said:
    So that's what hate looks like in your world?

13. mandym

mandym New Member

Great, clear up post 71 and I will recant and repent of the whole thing.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Here is post 71. Where is the hate?

15. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I rest my case that Tebow is playing tomorrow night and Big Ben is not. Tebow is a work in progress, he is not where he WILL be. And I will be glad to say I knew he would when he does.

It is the fact that he is in the spotlight. If you haven't seen the stats on his popularity on Twitter and Facebook, I don't know where you have been!!! I got an e-mail from Billy Graham Evangelical Association declaring that, because of Tebow throwing for 316 yards, averaging 31.6 a throw, they had more hits on their website than ever before because people want to find out about John 3:16 !!!

I admire and respect the young man - both for his abilities AND his testimony.

16. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which in the grand scheme of things wins/losses is the only 'stat' that matters. 10 years from now nobody really cares if you played well or poorly. The question will be, "Did he win or lose?"

In Super Bowl XXXII, Elway completed only 12 of 22 passing attempts, throwing one interception and no touchdowns! Anyone remember that? Packers were favored by 11 and lost to the Broncos 31-24. Oh, I remember that part!

Craig Morton led the Orange Crush to the first winning season in Broncos history. Anybody remember his passer ratings? Denver lost Super Bowl XII 27-10 to the cowboys. Oh, I remember that.....

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Whew!! And I thought he wasn't gonna make it as an NFL caliber QB. Whew that was sure a close call.

Bad stats in a bad played game.

Lost 45-10......9/26 136 yds.....'nuff said. Time to start him as an H-back like Frank Wychek of the Oilers/Titans.....

18. mandym

mandym New Member

I am sure it is for those who are just looking to tear him down.

19. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

It seems he has to stay a QB, and be loved as a QB or people are alleged to be "against" him. If they don't love for him to remain a QB and support him at that position, then it's just hate and/or persecution?

Like Urlacher said "He's a good RB." :thumbsup:

Nothing against the kid, I'm happy he professes Christ, I just happen to think he can have a testimony as a RB as well as a QB.

I'm glad my team doesn't have the drama that comes with the kid. If it were my choice, based on his QB stats, I'd cut ties with him. I know, spare me, that means I'm an apostate. :laugh:

Convicted1, I agree with what you say here.

I wonder if he came to the Pats, if the fans there would want him to supplant Brady??

- Peace

#99 preacher4truth, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
  20. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Would you care to retract that?

Here's a link.

A 45% passing completion percentage is good? Where do you get the idea that 45% is good?

Perhaps you'd care to post where I've given unwarranted criticism. For example, I gave Tebow his props for completing passes at 30 yards per catch against the Steelers. Just because you don't like the criticism doesn't mean it's unwarranted.

You seem to misunderstand the question. How does being in the spotlight make Tim Tebow a good NFL QB? I didn't ask how it makes him a better Christian or a better person, I asked how it made him a better QB. What skillset of his is enhanced by being in the spotlight? I am separating Tim Tebow the Star from Tim Tebow the QB and I want to know how what Tebow does that everybody admires him for makes him a better QB.

#100 ccrobinson, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012