1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Teen Girls Face Hate Crime Charges Over Anti-Gay Flier

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dragoon68, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

2. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

It's one thing to have anti-gay/religious beliefs concerning homosexuality, it is an entirely different thing to target a specific individual, using hateful and slanderous language. Did you read the article? The girls targeted a classmate and neighbor they had been feuding with, they were in no way trying to exercise their right to free speech and/or religion.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A good example of the idiocy of thought control legislation. No physical harm was even threatened, let alone action taken.

The first amendment is continually being eroded by liberals.

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

What was the crime he was targetted with? Felonious handing out of fliers?

5. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Yes, I did read the article. It's yet another example of the misuse of the force of law. Even it it was, as you suggest, about targeting a specific individual it is still not a crime to dislike someone nor to tell them so. But this is really about much more than that!

6. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Are you guys reading the same article I am reading? They were handing out fliers in their SCHOOL parking lot with HATEFUL LANGUAGE about a fellow student, no different from a neo-nazi handing out hate material about a fellow black student. The girls were not targeting homosexuality as much as they were THIS BOY! Do you really believe these girls should be the poster children of free speech, especially considering the one already has a lengthy criminal record? Please..... I'm sure there are much better "test cases" out there.

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

While this may be a matter for school discipline, I don't see any crime. What next? Little kids calling 'nanny nanny boo boo' on the swingset and hiding from the boy with cooties are going to be arrested?

8. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

That's right James! It's not a "crime" at all. It's just a matter for the parents and the school to deal with. It's not something for law enforcement or the courts to get involved in.

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congratulations, people!! :applause:

I've been on the BB since 2002 and thought I had seen it all. I don't get shocked much here anymore.

But, you've gone and done it! This thread wins the prize! :applause:

Did you all read the same article that I read?!

These girls are 16 years old. They are LONG PAST the "nanny nanny boo boo" and "boys have cooties" stage of their lives.

One of these girls has had 13 run-ins with the police. Including...
    • Marijuana possession
    • Driving without a license
    • Consumption of alcohol by a minor
    • Consumption of tobacco by a minor
    • Trespassing
    • 3 curfew violations
    These aren't a couple sweet of little Sunday School girls who have never said a curse word and never held hands with a boy who are passing out revivial fliers to lost people!!!!!

In fact, these aren't even a couple of fine Christian girls passing out God's Words of warning concerning homosexuality.

These are two mean-spirited girls, passing out fliers containing images of two guys kissing and hateful speech about gays.....and about ONE particular boy who is their neighbor with whom they have been fighting!!!!

Their intent, as anybody can tell from the article was to at least assassinate his character. I think they intended a whole lot more.

So, they got arrested for disorderly conduct and may get 30 days in juvenile detention. SO WHAT?!?!?

Their attorney said that it couldn't be proven what their disorderly conduct was....that only their free speech was being attacked. :BangHead:

I'm afraid if I roll my eyes back any further in my head, they will get stuck. :BangHead:

10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Too bad they weren't a group of black thugs who tortured, repeatedly raped, and mutilated a couple of white youths.

Then, no hate crime laws would have been broken.

11. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

The point isn't whether what they did was good or bad. The point is that none of what they thought, said, or did constitutes a "hate crime" that merits the attention of the federal government. If we don't get a handle on this concept we will have Washington regulating all of us all of the time in all that we do. We need an article 10 commission.

12. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

The three acts you mentioned would be crimes covered by state law.

13. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Again, what article have you been reading? The article says nothing at all regarding a FEDERAL hate crimes statute. You do know that Illinois has a STATE hate crimes statute that specifically addresses actual or perceived crimes against homosexuals, don't you?

http://www.hrc.org/Template.cfm?Sec...EMPLATE=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm

14. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Yes, and they are also covered in the state hate crimes stautes, IF they were committed for the sole reason of bias against the white youths. Some of you really need to brush up on your hate crime stats before you post. It helps if your preconceived ideas are backed up with facts......

15. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Some need to understand the real issue here. The fact that such crimes are covered by state law exclusive of being "hate" crimes is good. The fact that there's such as thing as "hate crime" law is not good whether state or federal. The fact that such crimes are increasingly desired to be covered by federal law is also not good. It's a serious threat to our liberty. My facts are very solid.

#15 Dragoon68, May 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2007
  16. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

You seem to miss the point of this all relates to the increased emphasis put on "hate crimes" and the growing momentum to make them all federal crimes whether or not the individual states such as Illinois have "hate crime" laws. The motive behind all this and where it's taking us is the concern - not the particulars of this case or this state's laws. It's too bad that Illiniois has already fallen victim to the trap.

17. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

This is sort of the point that I was making in my post. Pointing out that it's the thought police in action, but also pointing out that it's very one-sided.

Crimes are crimes. Thoughts are not. Not even if those thoughts are vile.

18. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

In your humble opinion I suppose. I see that you have amended your previous rant based on supposed 10th amendment violations. I wonder what argument you will use now that you do not have a consitutional leg to stand on, so to speak?

BTW, I would love to hear how hate crime laws are a serious threat to our liberty, using actual facts/stats, and since this thread concerns a state hate crime why don't we stick to that. FTR, are you even a citizen of Illinois?

Right.... Why don't you prove it.... (Keep in mind I am looking for actual facts and not superfluous opinion.)

#18 Filmproducer, May 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2007
  19. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

:laugh: Of course that's your argument now.... Just a minute ago you were ranting and raving about these poor young ladies falling prey to the unjust federal government. Do you even know how many hate crimes were actually reported in the last few years? What about the types of hate crimes committed? Here's a good one, what about the hate crime rate in correlation to the overall crime rate?

20. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

We are still free to think whatever we like. We CANNOT put our thoughts into criminal action, and that is what these girls did. It was not a general flier about their beliefs on homosexuality. It was a flier that specifically targeted an individual with the intent of damaging said individual, whether in character or deed. There is a BIG DIFFERENCE. Hate crimes statutes, as they stand now, do not target speech, they target criminal action.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.