1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Teen looking for the right Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by JRG39402, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I whole heartedly second this.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

For following along in class, you might do well by having a MKJV or KJV2000. Both are KJV but remove all they 'thy' and 'thou''s and replace them with modern english.

For easy readability I would go with HCSB and NLT. If you want more word for word and you don't want to use the MKJV, the NASB and ESV are easier to read than the KJV1611.

examples:
    Mat 18:34

(ASV) And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due.

(CEV) The king was so angry that he ordered the official to be tortured until he could pay back everything he owed.

(ESV) And in anger his master delivered him to the jailers, until he should pay all his debt.

(HCSB) And his master got angry and handed him over to the jailers until he could pay everything that was owed.

(ISV) In anger his master handed him over to the torturers until he could repay the entire debt.

(KJ2000) And his lord was angry, and delivered him to the jailers, till he should pay all that was due unto him.

(KJV) And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.

(MKJV) And his lord was angry, and delivered him to the tormentors until he should pay all that was due to him.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I used this bible as a teen as well. I loved it. I just went and got it off my shelf. I have marked all the sermons I heard as a teen along with a lot of different notes.

4. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I just did a Google Search and found some used copies for sale. [​IMG]

Amazon.com

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

no one should give you a hard time for the version you choose, if it is a Spirit-guided decision.

The "bad things" you've heard about the NIV are probably refuted very easily. That's not to say that the NIV is a perfect translation, but it ain't bad either. Most of the "NIV-bashing" is misinformation. Having said that, I heartily endorse KJV if the Spirit leads you there...

I work with students, and I bet I use seven or eight translations when it's all said and done...

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I have no reason to question his salvation. But he is, without a doubt, a wolf in Chick's clothing.

7. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Someone should make a cartoon of that!

In reply to the topic: I like the NASB, which has already been recommended, but since it attempts to be as literal as possible it is sometimes wooden and doesn't flow well. I would suggest picking up an NIV as well since it is "prettier".

8. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

By calling Cloud a 'wolf in Chick's clothing' you are indeed questioning his salvation.

You are saying he is following man instead of Christ.

9. Diggin in da Word

choosing a Bible because it is 'prettier', or has 'easier readability' does not necessarily mean it is the more accurate Bible, or that it is a true Bible at all.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Your confusion appears to stem from having been exposed to the false dictrine of KJVOism. That's understandable.

That's about as accurate as saying the KJV is perfect. Admittedly, I myself have not studied the TNIV. But in places where I've seen people complain about gender neutrality of the TNIV, that seems to be in line with the scriptural source texts (such as, when the greek uses the word "anthropos", which means "people, but translated "men" in most translations, but correctly translated "people" in the TNIV.

Again, it appears that this stems from having been exposed to the false dictrine of KJVOism.

The NIV, NASB, KJV, NKJV, MKJV, ASV, and similar translations are all very accurate, and good translations.
    You have been fed a pile of garbage. All of the above translations are good translations. None of the are a "false Word". So long as you stick with a faithful translations, and not a paraphrase (such as the Living Bible or Message), you should be fine.

Sidebar: I have nothing against paraphrase bibles, but don't recommend the use of paraphrases as a translational tools. They're fine, so long as one understands that they're paraphrases.
    Then it sounds like using a KJV will be your best choice, imo. I defer to SFIC's prior suggestion to seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

11. Petrel

Petrel New Member

You just sprang straight from point A to point Z touching nary a point in between. . . If it comes down to that none of us are saved, because some of us are Calvinists and some of us are Armenians and some of us are pre-tribbers, post-tribbers, mid-tribbers, and amillenialists. Everyone depends on other people's opinions to varying degrees. Someone can be actually saved and believe something that they are told by their pastor who is completely wrong. These things are not mutually exclusive!

12. Petrel

Petrel New Member

You are making the assumption that I haven't looked into its validity. I have.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not at all. I'm accurately pointing out that he subscribes to the same error, inaccuracy, and deception that Chick does. That calls into question his credibility, but does not call into question his salvation.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Okay folks - lets not get sidetracked here into a Cloud/Chick discussion. That is not the topic at hand.

15. Diggin in da Word

How can they all be accurate when one version removes key verses? another adds? one has Goliath being killed twice?

When they contradict themselves so many times, they cannot be all accurate.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Why do you exclude the KJV from that? What about when, using your logic, the KJV does the same thing?
    COntradict when compared to what? The KJV? Again, your logic is flawed, not to mention the fact that your statement demonstrates you lack of knowlege in the area of scriptural translations and history thereof.

17. Petrel

Petrel New Member

How do you get from "Bible versions all have minor differences derived from differences in the source manuscripts" to "therefore the KJV is the only valid one"? Especially considering various editions of the KJV differ from each other?

Perhaps none of the extant Bible versions is the true one! Horrors!

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's easy Petrel. It's called circular reasoning. The KJV is perfect, because there is no imperfection in the KJV. Therefore, if anyone finds an imperfection in the KJV, that alleged imperfection must not be an imperfection at all, because the KJV is perfect. [​IMG]

19. Diggin in da Word

The KJV was listed in the list of versions you posted as all being accurate. Even if the KJV was not listed, they all contradict each other in many verses.

Therefore, they are not all accurate.

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

So, if there's a contradiction between the KJV and its source texts, which is more accurate?
    Again, you're selectively excluding the KJV from your litmus test, based on absolutely nothing objective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.