1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Teen looking for the right Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by JRG39402, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Several have mentioned this, but there are quite a few good Bible software programmes, many of them free.

I am very happy with e-sword and at the moment have access to

Bishops Bible
    Geneva Bible
    KJV1611
    KJV1769 with Strongs, Tense, Voice, and Mood
    KJV 1769 without references
    ASV
    EMTV
    LITV
    NET
    GNT-TR

It also has many commentaries and reference tools.

This would give you a good opportunity to check out a few translations

2. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bruce,

It is a good idea.
    Do you have any parallel Bible published in mind ?
    I want to know which publishers Bible is easy to read and convenient to look at. I would think about KJV/NIV because Language update or Colloquialism is well covered by NIV while KJV maintains doctrinal issues.

That information may be useful to many.

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    E-sword and other bible software allow you to create parallel bibles with any of translations included in the software. However e-sword does not have the NIV.

An online site that allows you to create parallel bibles of NIV and KJV is Studylight.org.

4. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we need the Info on Hard print, Parallel Bible in paper to carry. Because some parallel Bible contain too small letters difficult to read. Otherwise, it may be too thick.

5. standingfirminChrist

I use Bibleworks 6.0 as my preferred Bible software. Included:

o English

American Standard Version (1901), The Bible in Basic English (1949/64), The Darby Bible (1884/1890), The Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition, The English Standard Version (2001), Geneva Bible (1599), Jewish Publication Society OT (1917), King James (1611/1769) with Codes, LXE LXX English Translation (Brenton), The New American Bible, New American Standard Bible (1977) with Codes,
    New American Standard Bible (1995) with Codes, New International Version (UK), New International Version (1984) (US), The New Jerusalem Bible, New King James Version (1982), New Living Translation, New Revised Standard Version (1989), Bishops' New Tesament (1595), Revised Standard Version (1952), Revised Webster Update (1995) with Codes, Jewish Publication Society Tanakh (1985), Tyndale New Testament (1534), The Webster Bible (1833), Young's Literal Translation (1862/1898)
    Miscellaneous Databases

WCS Westminster Standards, The Treasury of Scriptural Knowledge, Nave's Topical Bible, Robertson's Word Pictures, QSM/QST - Qumran Sectarian Texts, JOE/LOS/JOM - Works of Josephus, (English, Greek and Morphology), APF/APL Apostolic Fathers

Also comes with 22 different languages ( French, Spanish, etc...)

Greek and Hebrew 23 books

and much more!

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I would love to get Bibleworks someday.

But for a 17 year old starting school, free is a little easier to handle than $350 [​IMG] .

E-sword has several more versions and commentaries I have not downloaded.

7. BruceB

BruceB New Member

Eliyahu wrote;
    "Bruce,
    It is a good idea.
    Do you have any parallel Bible published in mind ?
    I want to know which publishers Bible is easy to read and convenient to look at. I would think about KJV/NIV because Language update or Colloquialism is well covered by NIV while KJV maintains doctrinal issues.

That information may be useful to many."

There are several out there, here are the two I was referring to and a list of some more. The publishers have them in bond leather and hardback, regular print (as in really small) and large print (as in just barely readable!!). Like you, I prefer a printed copy; it can ride with me in my car (I am a traveling salesman) and I can choose when to read - this past week I read from the Psalms while sitting on a boardwalk overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, on the NC coast. I like the versatility of electronic versions, but nothing beats print for carrying around with you. Bruce

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Bibles/ParallelTextBibles/NewInternationalVersion/?view=usa&ci=0195281799

http://www.zondervanbibles.com/0310929954.htm

http://www.zondervanbibles.com/types%2Dparallel.htm

8. standingfirminChrist

Actually C4K,

The total cost of Bibleworks with all unlocked versions is over 800 dollars.

Expensive? Yes... but well worth it for serious Bible Students.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

$800...

man, I just went from "serious" to "just kidding." [​IMG]

10. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I use 3 Chick's tracts for soul-winning purpose only. [​IMG]

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Guess I'm not a serious Bible student [​IMG] . $800 is almost €1000, just don't have it.

Still think E-sword (free) will do a fine job for our young friend.

12. standingfirminChrist

For one who cannot afford it, I would agree, C4K. E-sword is a great price when the price is free. There are a great deal of addons for E-sword that one can add for free, but there are many that cost as well. Haven't added the costs of all those addons yet. Will get back to ya

Ron

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Are there pay add-ons for E-sword? I haven't come across one I had to pay for yet.

E-sword has a neat free macro for Word that lets you search and/or insert passages straight without leaving word.

Someone showed me where to find the verse, tense, and mood module for the KJV as well.

14. standingfirminChrist

I know there were some in the past. They may have lifted them. I am searching

15. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Personally, I would steer clear of any theory that suggests that any particular English Bible version is perfect and that all others are in error. There is not a single English Bible version that is without some sort of error.

As some others have advised, pray, PRAY, PRAY about the version you should use. If the Holy Spirit leads you to use the King James Version, that that is the version you should use by all means. If the Holy Spirit leads you to use the NASB, the NIV or the NKJV, then that is the version you should use. It can be as simple as that!

Some have suggested that you use e-sword to examine various Bible versions, and that is a good idea, too. Also, there are web sites where you can examine various Bible versions to your heart's content. The most complete selection of English Bible versions I have seen online is at StudyLight.org.

Don't just rush out and buy a print Bible until you have prayed and examined various versions for yourself. Then go back and pray some more. Once you feel comfortable that the Holy Spirit is leading you to use a particular version, then go with that version for your print Bible. I am sure that at 17 you can't afford to go out and buy a whole library of various Bible translations. (No offense intended! [​IMG] )

One thing that you might want to take into account is whether you are comfortable with all the language changes that have occurred in the years since the KJV was translated. If you were raised in a Christian home and are familiar with the 17th century English of the KJV, then that should be a consideration in selecting a Bible varsion. If you were not raised in a Christian home and you did not "cut your teeth" on the KJV, then you might want to seriously consider a modern version that has language that is easier for you to understand.

Also consider the differences between the various types of Bible versions. A formal equivalence or literal translation (KJV, NASB, NKJV, etc.) gives a fairly accurate word-for-word rendering of what the original languages said - at least as far as it is possible to have a word-for-word translation. A dynamic equivalence translation like the NIV may give a fairly accurate thought-for-thought rendering of what the original languages said while not rendering it in a word-for-word method. Personally, I would avoid the paraphrase translations if I were you - they can often convey the biases and denominational stance of the translator(s) while leaving the most room for error.

I would advise that you really do get a print Bible version that you can carry with you. It is great to have access to all the various Bible versions that the computer can provide, whether at web sites or through Bible software. But remember that there are going to be times when you are not near your ocmputer and you will need a Bible that you can actually put your hands on.

May the Holy Spirit guide you in this decision!

16. standingfirminChrist

C4K, Just ran into first snag...

Encyclopedia of Bible Facts needs to be purchased.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are a couple. I know NASB is one of them, NIV may be another.

I would second the vote for e-sword for this young man. I currently have 20 different translations, and 16 commentaries, not to mention greek / hebrew / english dictionaries, maps, daily devotions, topic notes and a place to type my personal notes...ALL FREE!!

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

The lack of the NIV would be a detriment if you wanted to use it. Apparently Zondervan have no interest in allowing the NIV to be used by e-sword, even for pay.

19. standingfirminChrist

The Complete Word Study Dictionary is another program that requires pay for downloading

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Okay, point taken. There are a couple of modules I would have to pay for, but e-sword has quality encyclopeadia and dictionaries that would suffice for the difference in cost, imho.

Saying that - if a supporting church wanted to buy me a full Bibleworks I would gladly accept it ;) .

Still thinking e-sword would suit our young friend for college, in spite of its weaknesses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.