1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Televangelists' reportedly lavish lifestyles draw senator's scrutiny

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by gb93433, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Since the senate is of a mood to investigate lavish lifestyles, maybe they should have a look at:

Sen. Herb Kohl
    Sen. John Rockefeller
    Sen. Dianne Feinstein
    Sen. John Kerry

Each of whom is worth more than $25 million in personal wealth.

[/start mock outrage]

Surely something must be illegal here!

[/end mock outrage]

2. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Then in a free democratic society (of the which we are not BTW) we should be able to stand up and shout on the hill tops that these people are frauds.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. Both are frauds.

4. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Apples and oranges, those you mention are not amassing their wealth as a tax exempt church. Did you even read the article or any others on the topic? They are not being investigated just because of their wealth, they are being investigated for the possibility of breaking the law, using the tax exempt status of their church for personal profit.

5. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Another thing on this topic. The man instigating this appears to be even handed, with his motives. To suggest otherwise without proof is reckless.

IMHO it is unfortunate when Christians blindly defend these people, just because they are calling themselves a church, doing so does harm. To become outraged without looking at any facts or proof themselves, is exactly why so many of the world look at Christians as hypocrites, and does damage to our witness. If we do not demand, and stand for what is honest and right, then who else? If these people are indeed breaking the law, we should be the first to want the light shown on that.

6. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Searching for something to disagree with here...

Nope. Nothing. I agree. :applause: Well said, NiteShift. If we're gonna scrutinize preachers of the prosperity gospel then the televangelists you aptly noted certainly deserve an interrogation themselves.

...ending poverty...pffuhhh.... religious nuts

#26 Ivon Denosovich, Nov 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2007
  7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What you may have forgotten is that Grassley is an evangelical Baptist.

He also led in the effort to investigate hospitals too.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

This has got to be about the most hilarious thread I have seen in a while. We have two groups, politicians and TV evangelists, questioning each others ethics. Maybe we could add lawyers.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Give the Missouri Southern Baptists some time and it will most likely happen.

10. atestring

atestring New Member

Is the govt suppose to set standards for churches and ministries? I thought this was the United State not Russia.
    Is there a govt assignment of auto's and houses that Preachers should have?
    Should all preachers drive a 6 year old white malibu?

Should the govt suppose to decide what kind of a house a minister should live in?

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Perhaps if the US had been more involved in religion then the [SIZE=-1]Jonestown Massacre could have been prevented. [/SIZE]

12. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

That's twice in one week we have agreed Ivon. What's going on here??

13. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Yes, I read the article. And if televangelists are breaking the law there should be penalties. And very likely if you went over the finances of those named wealthy senators with a fine-toothed comb you would find irregularities there also. Let the investigations begin!

14. atestring

atestring New Member

I missed something!
    What does the automobile and house of televangelist have to do with the jonestown massacre?

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I assuemd you were in favor of the US goiernement keeping away from religious activities. The Jonestown Massacre is a good example of how religion took over the people and they became a slave to it in favor of godly wisdom and actions.

16. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Actually it is because the govt. started an investigation that made Jim Jones move his operations out of the US. Then when Representative Leo J. Ryan went there to continue the investigation, Jim Jones and followers killed Mr Ryan and then assisted his flock in a mass murder suicide. :tear:

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Their time would be more productive if they investigated how so many Senators and Congressmen become rich, or richer, while in office.:thumbs:

18. atestring

atestring New Member

I don't tink you can take a quantam leap from Jonestown and a televangelist. there is no koolaid involved here
    Is it right for a senator that has a certain docrinal persuasion to slam those that he disagrees with. Think of the danger of this.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, it is a matter of doctrinal persuasion. Evil and wrondoing is a matter of doctrinal persuasion. Everything we do is based on the foundation of what we believe.

Those who are being investigated have been warned for several years.

It reminds me of an old saying, "Humble yourself before God has to do it."

The Securities and Excahnge Comission investigated the Baptist Foundation of Arizona and found some criminals among the leadership. Had those criminals continued on like they had by continuing to lie to the investors it would have continued to steal millions of dollars. The SBC did not investigate itself and continued to rely on an outside auditor who were crooks. Finally the governement stepped in and shut them down.

There is no law against doing good. Laws can only reveal wrongdoing. If those "ministries" have nothing to hide and have done nothing wrong they have nothing to worry about. They should be willing to welcome scrutiny. Every Christian ministry should be held to the highest standard of excellence because more is at stake than just money.

20. atestring

atestring New Member

My problem with this is that it is not the job f the gov in the U.S. to regulate relgion. I assure you that they will n ot regulate moslems or The Nation of ISLAM.
    Whe the Iowa senator said that If jesus rode on a donkey why do televangelist need a airplane? this tells me that this senator is using his influence as a senator to try to force a religious preference.
    BTW why is it only word of Faith preachers ( please don't start a rabbit trail on wheither you disagree with WOF that is not the issue). What about Paige pattersons safari hunts( I cannot afford to do this so does that make him a crook).
    If the Senator will take a donkey to Wasington I'll listen to him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.