1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Tell the Truth by Will Metzger discussion

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Aug 24, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

#41 evangelist6589, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2014
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I finished the book. It is good, but really not much different from many others. I think he was focused more on how evangelism "fits in" with Reformed theology much of the time. But it was a good book and I am glad you "talked" me into getting it. As far as evangelism goes, and even his outlook at sharing the gospel, I still do not view it as "Reformed." His understanding of salvation is, but not his evangelism.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is "Reformed" evangelism model though?

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhh...that's why I bought the book. Turns out there is no "Reformed" model. It's regular biblical evangelism. What is Reformed is the understanding of how God works towards salvation...everything else is biblical evangelism.

But it is a good book. I think I like "The Fifth Gospel" better in terms of evangelism...but perhaps "The Art of Personal Evangelism" trumps both (IMHO). What I don't like is all of the stories. I don't know if you've noticed, but books on evangelism are full of stories.

#44 JonC, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
  5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Why do you keep on dodging trying to read the book slowly and meditate on the words? Man I am reading the book very slowly and am focusing on the content of what he is teaching. In a seminary environment they would read the book in a semester and focus on the content of the book more. But you keep on avoiding to do this and I wonder why.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Did you buy the book?

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Of coarse not. Arminian and Reformed both use gospel tracts and do open air preaching.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John…this book is 207 pages not counting the Appendix. It is not written at a difficult level by any means, and much of the chapters contain stories of his experiences with different people. I have had this since the 23rd. I have read it more than once. And please stop telling me what people would do in a seminary environment. I am not in seminary, I am at my home and can adequately concentrate on a 207 page book and easily read it slowly with understanding in a matter of days (given it is written at a popular level...it has taken me a week to digest one short chapter of some books).

Yes… I know. It has nothing to do with the book...as Metzger seems to question the communication value of both at times (his preference seems to be more conversational)...but I know that both use these methods. Evangelistic churches who are neither Arminian or Calvinistic also use these methods.

#48 JonC, Aug 31, 2014
  9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You need to read the book slowly and it can get deep for an evangelism book and I have read many of them. You are cynical of the book because you do not like it but look at amazon reviews and plenty disagree with you, and many Reformed seminaries use it. Also Reisinger spoke very highly of it as well as Paul Washer.

Look you can pick a non Calvinist book on evangelism and I will read it slowly with you. I want to be completely fair to that side as well and not skim over it because I am cynical of it.

Looking at amazon reviews I see a pastor whom had read 20 books on evangelism says this one is by far the best!!

#49 evangelist6589, Aug 31, 2014
  10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

At the Calvinist men's study we are reading through the book called The Exemplary husband very slowly... That book I would say to be a lighter read. You get what you put in.

Or perhaps you are not reading many books at the same time as I am.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John....stop and read my previous comments SLOWLY. Please point out where I said I did not like the book. I don't care about amazon reviews - The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins got good reviews. I never said it was not a good book. I LIKED THE BOOK JOHN. It just is not my favorite book in terms of evangelism.

Put it this way, it took you less than 3 hours to read the 13 page article by Aune. The article was a more difficult read…yet in those short hours (if you didn’t do anything but read the article…which obviously is not the case since you were posting during that time) you read and considered what the author said and dismissed it as “hogwash.” If I devoted only a few hours to “Tell the Truth” each day I could have read it easily read it with the same focus you gave the article in even less time than I did. It was easier for me as I was stuck in waiting rooms for a few days.

Now if you want to legitimately discuss the book...lets have at it.

#51 JonC, Aug 31, 2014
  12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are my comments incorrect or untruthful, or otherwise contradict scripture?

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who invited you here? This thread is for people whom have the book or whom have questions about the book, not for antagonizers whom do not have the book, nor have a desire to buy the book.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Jack Rabbit is waiting for you to chase him Don!

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who John, who is a better choice. You have to be weaned off of whom.

15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You spent more effort being un-Christ-like toward me, than you would have by simply answering the question.

Not my intention to antagonize. I made observations about your comments/interpretation regarding the book. If those observations are invalid, it's your responsibility to show why. THAT'S called "scholarly" discussion.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well if what you said in Post #31 then I would agree with you. Yes there are those that preach on the streets but live bad lives. For example there are those that do not want to work, but only want to preach. This is called laziness as God has not called everyone to work in the ministry FT.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see. Well that article I did not read slowly since I did not agree with it, nor the POV of the partial preterist/amill author, but that is for another thread. :) Yes lets discuss the book. I am on page 96 and plan to get more reading done today. However I am also reading at least 3 other books at this time, but 2 more will be added this week when the 5th gospel arrives, and the church starts their study of Mark and we are using Warren Wiersbe. However he is a very very easy to read author. His commentaries are simple at best probably geared best for Sunday School and undergraduate students. Undergrad would only read him as a combination of multiple commentaries as I did at that level in NT Biblical studies type classes. For example read a commentary by John Stott and then one by Wiersbe. Well another thread :)

I am curious as to your opinions on pages 93-94. This is good reading.

#57 evangelist6589, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2014
  18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with his comments. I remember this being a topic of evangelism in the late 80’s. Dr. Kennedy asserted that a large percent of Christians are not born again. Here is another observation from a different book I’m reading:

“[The cause of the gospel is not helped] by the explosion of young bloggers with just enough knowledge of history to be dangerous and almost no understanding of Scripture or how to interpret it. Their mantra: “If we’re just nice to people, they’ll see our perspective. Don’t judge anyone’s beliefs. And whatever you do, don’t offend anybody!” Their apparent goal is for all humanity to coexist as one, singing in three-part harmony some sort of postmillennial world peace anthem. They believe if we simply say we’re sorry, tone down our language, and redefine some key biblical truths to accommodate our culture’s tolerance-based morality, that’ll do it.” (Conway)

Yes…the whole gospel needs to be preached. But I do not think that it will prevent weeds from growing among the wheat. Christ says that some will come saying “Lord, Lord, did we not…”. They emphatically acknowledge His as Lord (κύριος, κύριος), and they have done work in the ministry…it appears reasonable that they have been used by God in the ministry. But Christ is not the Lord of their lives. Evangelism cannot fix this…wheat and tares will exist together in the Church. But preaching the full gospel may help prevent misunderstandings, some false converts, and is obedience to Christ. Anything less is disobedience and "another gospel" than the "repent and believe" of Scripture.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Good observations.. I will be reading Conway soon. Had a busy day as it's my birthday (37). But when I get home plan to do some reading until I retire.

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Happy Birthday! Did you get that theology book you wanted (Wayne Grudem, if I remember correctly)?