1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Tell the Truth by Will Metzger discussion

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Aug 24, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh yes. Its a good one, but I am overwhelming myself with too many books.

2. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be back on the BB tomorrow or the next day. My 5th gospel should be arriving today or tomorrow and I will be reading Metzger in the meantime as well. As I got a $50 instant Credit for opening the amazon Credit Card I was also able to get some more books and all for FREE and I am not breaking my book buying freeze. This credit Card of coarse will be slashed and no debt will be added to it, but the instant credit is not bad.

4 Views on Revelation--- Thanks to Greek Tim for opening the can of worms
    Jesus Christ Our Lord
    Answering the objections of atheists,agnostics, and skeptics
    Chosen By God

The last one seems relevant to our discussion on the election debate.

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Conway what are the three ways that God has made himself known?

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Turn to page 98 of Tell the Truth. Do you agree or disagree with Metzger? Should evangelism only focus on the conscience, or the mind? Or both? Why or why not?

Since you have read Tell the Truth twice would you be open to some pop quizzes? They help the both of us especially since this book is the best book on evangelism I have read and it's very important.

#64 evangelist6589, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
  5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a suggestion, instead of that book and the WOTH, why not do an indepth study and application of Acts?

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really don't like pop quizzes. Part of my problem is keeping who said what separate. When I study something I normally put it in my own words (in my mind). So pop quizzes for me are often an exercise in "go back and look."

Evangelism should focus on the conscience and the mind. I really do not think it can successfully do one or the other. With the mind we understand, and apart from that understanding there is no advantage towards the conscious (think of Paul's focus on edification). There is no such thing, IMHO, as appealing to the conscious without first prevailing upon the mind.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Next time as we would need to agree on what study guide to use and there are many.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

I am going through Acts now. Perhaps it is best not to use a guide and simply (and slowly) go through the book. I do have a few commentaries handy.

#68 JonC, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
  9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Next time. This is a topical thread not a Biblical Studies thread. At church we will be going through the gospel of Mark and are gonna using a Wiersbe study guide and yes they are handy as they give lots of insight into the text.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On page 108 which of the two views do you personally take on the will and why?

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the "God centered living - two rules of the road" section (the "law of life" and "love")? I'm not exactly sure, if I'm in the right place in the book, what two views you mean. Could you elaborate?

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The section on the will. Don't have my book on me but he talks of two views on the will.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Metzger that “labels are deadly in Christian circles. For example, when it comes to the topic of the will, immediately certain views are categorized as Reformed or Arminian. The discussion then ends because it is thought (wrongly) that as soon as you have given a name to something, you understand it” (pg. 108). Too often people fall into this fallacy.
    I agree with Metzger. “Both views have at least this in common: as a result of trying to be faithful to Scripture, you might begin with either view and go beyond Scripture, not keeping the doctrines of divine sovereignty and human responsibility in balance.”

I agree because I also believe that people in both camps go too far….they, as Spurgeon noted, see one truth and magnify it out of proportion. Human responsibility without God’s sovereign election is just as unbiblical as divine election without human responsibility. When all is said and done, both views are unbiblical.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God saves sinners due to his soveregn Will and grace, but those not saved are also without any excuse, as are accountible to God for their own choices!

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

We are discussing "Tell the Truth." This goes a bit further than the book we are discussing. How did you view The authors conclusions? Personally, I agree with him in this chapter.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would say that labels are useful. as long as one who self identifies with that actually holds to what is taught in that theology though...

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Buy the book!!!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0830823220/?tag=baptis04-20

$2.99 you can't beat that.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Sometimes. I prefer SBC congregations because it should mean they believe the SBC F&M (labels are descriptive there). But the author is speaking of Cal and Arm and of labeling others. If I tell you I hold a Calvinistic understanding of election then you can narrow my position (probably) to one of two views. It is different when you label others. For example, when I said I believed Christ is the propitiation for the sins of the world it was a short time before two members erroneously labeled that view Arminian. Do you disagree with the author, and if so what is your justification?

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a tough one. I believe in God's sovereign election granting faith and repentance to His elect. However others disagree with me, and teach Human Responsibility which is another word for FREE WILL. This book is not focused on this topic so we should not detract the thread on this debate. But if you wanna debate that issue get the books Chosen by God by Sproul and Chosen but Free by Geisler.