1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Temple Complex or Courts Is A Better Choice...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TCGreek, Dec 20, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I have to commend the newer versions for rendering hieron as "Temple Complex or Courts" and not just Temple at Acts 2:42 and other such places, when an obvious difference is in mind.

2. For example, when Jesus spoke of his body as a temple, he didn't use hieron but naos, the sanctuary, and not the Temple complex, hieron.

3. The HCSB scores big with making an obvious difference at John 2:19; Acts 2:46 and 5:42; 1 Cor 3:16 and 6:19. :thumbs:

2. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

I don't think the word "temple" should be in Acts 2:42 either, Greek.

:laugh:

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I now got it! I meant v. 46. Thanks. :thumbs:

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a technicality,
    I certainly don't want have to tell you I'm going to my "church complex" this Sunday; "church" will do.

Mt 27:5

Rob

#4 Deacon, Dec 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2007
  5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I have no idea about this "church complex" thing.

BTW, naos is used in Matt 27:5, which the HCSB renders as "sanctuary."

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think for those who hold to a trichotomous view of mankind (body soul and spirit), it does make a difference, as the temple illustration is one that is used as a proof text (outer court, inner court, holy of holies)

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm. I never heard that one and I'm a trichotomist! :saint:

I've been translating hieron with a Japanese word similar to "temple complex."

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

John,

You got it right, then. :thumbs:

9. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Maybe this is a technicality, too, but will "church" really do? Biblically, a church is not a building that you go to, but a company of believers.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then the next day, Paul took the men, having purified himself along with them, and entered the temple, [hieron / iερoν] announcing the completion of the purification days when the offering for each of them would be made. As the seven days were about to end, the Jews from the province of Asia saw him in the temple complex, [hiero / iερw] stirred up the whole crowd, and seized him, Acts 21:26-27 HCSB

He said to them, “Haven’t you read what David did when he and those who were with him were hungry— how he entered the house of God, and they ate the sacred bread, which is not lawful for him or for those with him to eat, but only for the priests? Or haven’t you read in the Law that on Sabbath days the priests in the temple [hiero / iερw] violate the Sabbath and are innocent? But I tell you that something greater than the temple [hierou / iεροu] is here! If you had known what this means: I desire mercy and not sacrifice, you would not have condemned the innocent.
    Matthew 12:3-7 HCSB

Then the Devil took Him to the holy city, had Him stand on the pinnacle of the temple, [herou / iεροu] [also see Luke 4:9]
    Matthew 4:5 HCSB

But I tell you that something greater than the temple [hierou / iεροu] is here!
    Matthew 12:6 HCSB

The site where my church meets of has many buildings.
    The sanctuary is one building, some might call this “the church”.
    Yet when I bring my daughter to youth group [a different building on the site] we still say we are bringing her to “church”, not to the “church complex”, that’s understood in context.

The Greek word, Hieron is used similarly.

Hieron is a general term for temple; it’s used in the bible for the main Hebrew Temple, the temple complex and even for various pagan sites.
    The only differentiation between the main Temple sanctuary and the temple complex is in the context of its use.

Holman’s CSB has differentiated its meaning using the context.
    As I looked at it closer, I like it too!

The Greek word, naos seems to be a more specific term for the Temple.
    Matt 27:5 may be its only use that might be less than specific.

I’ve been mulling over purchasing Holman’s CSB for use this year.
    I really likes its OT translations; I haven’t really examined its NT translation well.
    It will be either that or Zondervan’s TNIV [its new reference bible is due out next month].

Rob

#10 Deacon, Dec 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2007