1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Temporal and Eternal Punishment

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by mozier, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Again, please educate me on this. Were not the early Christians Catholic? When did the Catholic Church begin?

Joseph Botwinick [/QB][/QUOTE]

On Simon Christ promised to build His church, saying; "thou art peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church" (Matt. 16:18). After the Resurrection He confirmed Peter's authority over the Church, saying to him "Feed my lambs; feed my sheep" (John 21: 15-17).

In this the RCC has Peter the first pope of the church established by Jesus Christ...

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is easily refutable, but just so you don't accuse us of getting our facts all wrong, we will ask you to provide the facts for us.
    1. When (what date) did Peter become the first pope at Rome.
    2. How long was Peter in Rome.
    3. When did Peter come to Rome.
    4. When did Peter die?
    5. How did Peter die?
    6. At what age did Peter die?

3. violet

violet Guest

This is easily refutable, but just so you don't accuse us of getting our facts all wrong, we will ask you to provide the facts for us.
    4. When did Peter die?
    5. How did Peter die?
    </font>[/QUOTE]What difference does it make since those events are not found in Scripture? Giving a date or details of death would have to come from other sources and, well... I think we all know how you feel about other sources...

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    4. When did Peter die?
    5. How did Peter die?
    </font>[/QUOTE]According to Eusebius, Peter went to Rome to confront Simon Magus who was talked about in Acts and died by the hand of Nero in Rome. Footnotes in Philip Schaff's translation discuss possible dates and disagreements with other historical sources.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

4. When did Peter die?
    5. How did Peter die?
    </font>[/QUOTE]What difference does it make since those events are not found in Scripture? Giving a date or details of death would have to come from other sources and, well... I think we all know how you feel about other sources...
    </font>[/QUOTE]It makes a great deal of difference. Briony is a Catholic. No Protestant accepts the view that Peter was a Pope in Rome, let alone even a pastor or bishop in Rome. Perhaps he went there under compulsion to die--if he was even there at all. Let the burden of proof fall on the Catholics to give what they believe and from what sources. After all, we would not want to be making "false accusations." Let them first set the stage for this discussion.
    DHK