1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ten Commandments in School

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Gina B, May 15, 2013.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

These plaques had apparently been up for decades. One student complained, which was enough to have all the Ten Commandment signs removed from the classrooms.

It's amazing what just one person can accomplish.

Here is the link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...s-oklahoma-muldrow_n_3279658.html?ir=Religion

Now for a bit of personal observation: I've lived in this area for a few years now and from what I've personally observed, this area of Oklahoma has a LOT of Baptists. It is almost cult-like in that if you are not Baptist, you are likely to be viewed as evil, pond-sucking scum. I have to wonder if this child who complained reacted more to the Ten Commandments being in view or to the general attitude of hypocrisy and simply couldn't take it anymore.

Will this child be ostracized now and have this constantly thrown in his face, or will he be accepted and shown Christian love and charity despite his having complained and insisted that the law be followed? Whether one believes that the law he used to have this enforced should exist or be tossed out along with every other law that tries to ban the truth from being told at every opportunity, it still is a law, right?

2. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

I live within 20 miles of this school and I am proud to be from this part of this great country and the way this was handled. The school board said they were in agreement with the parents but this issue had already gone to the SC from the state of Kentucky and no use in wasting money on legal battles that had already been settled. No one went home happy but they went home peacefully. Did you live in moffet Ok?

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I saw how they handled it and it was done with grace and calm in the face of what I would call oppression. They followed the law, despite my belief that the law is wrong, and they did so like sheep, and I mean that in a very positive way.

I do not live as close as you. However, my observations about the general attitude here in Oklahoma are what they are. This has been my experience and others who have moved here have discussed it at length. I've seen people and families destroyed over it and people's faith deeply shaken when faced with church culture shock of coming from other states, especially ones like California, Nevada, Oregon, etc., and adjusting to the difference here.

I know and understand that those from Oklahoma find it offensive when outsiders say these things. It is, however, a battle many of us find ourselves facing when we're here and one we see students dealing with on a regular basis even if they are raised here but do not quite fit in with the common accepted beliefs. You have to admit that even those who aren't exactly Baptist still kind of are...they attend functions, the teen groups get involved at least in the peripheral stuff like the camps and such and youth groups even if it is just activities, and there is a culture of intolerance for those who are different - not just in stated religious preference, but in many ways.

That is what makes me wonder about the deep down motivation of this student. Sure, it may have simply been that they bothered him. Perhaps there was some type of conviction going on and it was just the words themselves that bothered me.

But...based on my personal experiences and what I've observed among the many teens I've dealt with and others in the area, it does lead me to wonder if there is more because quite frankly, even I get so sick of hypocrisy around here that I have been tempted on occasion to stir something up just to make the "appearances" stop when I know so many are ONLY appearances. I don't, because mature people don't do that. They cast those thoughts away and pray for the people they get annoyed with. Teens aren't usually that mature yet and end up acting out what annoys them. But if I, who would never have dreamed of doing something like that in the past, get so riled up that it would even OCCUR to me, to be so disheartened by hypocrisy that it would flash through my mind to go ahead and call someone to enforce government rules I don't believe in on a place not following them just because the people are so annoyingly hypocritical and don't PRACTICE their little signs and quotes and verses they put up and get away with, then how much harder would that be for a teenager who is still grappling with who they are and what they do or do not believe?

I hope that explains it somewhat. Likely you're still offended, but I'm not going to be dishonest about my views. The pain and suffering my family has gone through in this state has all been done at the hands of people who claim the name of Baptist and I've watched it happen to many others. It's the oddest, weirdest cultural thing I've ever witnessed.

4. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Not offended at all just expressing my opinion of a situation and how everyone responded. We have more wheel on our houses in Oklahoma then most any other state.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ was 100% christlike, and the world still hates Him.