1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ten Commandments, So What??

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Nov 10, 2007.

?
  1. Paul says Christians should not pay attention to them

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. Christ and all other NT writers said to ignore them

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. They are good ideas but not binding Law

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. The Ten Commandments are reduced to nine that are still binding

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  5. The Ten Commandments are still 10 - but the 4th is edited to apply to Sunday

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  6. All ten are still binding, written on the heart -- and unchanged

27 vote(s)
    62.8%
  7. Not sure if God still cares about the Ten Commandments

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is a Sabbath thread started where the conclusion for some is that the Sabbath is one of the Ten Commandments and God's Ten Commandments shouldn't matter to Christians.

Others argue that they shouldn't matter to lost people either because they were eliminated - abolished at the cross.

Others argue that all but one of the Ten Commandments were resurrected after all of them were nailed to the cross.

Others argue that they are all still valid but the Sabbath commandment has been "edited" to apply to another day.

Then there are those who claim that they are all still valid just as God gave them -- no change.

What say you?

in Christ,

Bob

2. s8147817430

s8147817430 New Member

What did Jesus say and do?

I have an opinion, but so did Jesus.

I am not baiting. I am simply reverting to my early teaching as a Christian.

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Gal 4 says He lived under the Law and obeyed it perfectly.

In John 14 He said "if you Love Me Keep My Commandments" pre-cross.

BTW - so far the voting is unanimous

in Christ,

Bob

4. skypair

skypair Active Member

BR,

You left off the one option that Paul says applies. 1Tim 1:9 -- "Knowing this, that the law is NOT made for the rightous man [the man who is rightous in Jesus] but for the and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for unholy and profane..."

But it would be just like one who wants to put us all "under that law" to give only false options. I'm glad you are not my cancer doctor or I'd have a choice of all kinds of "false positives" here! :laugh:

skypair

#4 skypair, Nov 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2007
  5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    By the "law" do you mean all 10 or just one commandment?

IF you mean all 10 are dead -- might want to vote that way as well.

6. johnjudge

johnjudge Member

Jesus Christ came to fulfill the law, not do away with it. If you love God with all your heart, and your enemy as yourself, all the laws stand anyway, IMHO....

7. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All of your options lack clarity and therefore I can't select any of them.

For example you add the word "binding" to some of them. What does this word "binding" mean in your view? Does it mean if one does not keep the law they will be punished in some way or lost? What is the consequence?

God Bless! :thumbs:

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I believe this too and might add that I can only obey the "law" through Christ who fulfilled it and who is my righteousness.

9. soninme

soninme New Member

exactly amy , and well said . :godisgood:

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Binding means they "define sin" so that when you do not honor your parents for example - you have sinned.

When you murder -- you have sinned.

When you covet -- you have sinned.

In Romans 6 there is a statement about being a slave to sin -- if sin in this case is transgression of the ten commandments and if even today we are not to be slaves to sin -- then they are binding.

James states that God's law is like a mirror and that it shows us our defects -- are you saying the Ten Commandments are included in that "mirror" that you look into -- showing you your defects?

"If you Love Me KEEP My commandments" -- those are "binding commandments" pre-cross.... what about post-cross?

in Christ,

Bob

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Love God with all your heart - Deut 6:4
    Love your Neighbor as yourself - Lev 19:18

These were the commands pre-cross and as you point out... honor to parents, not coveting, worshipping the One True God etc are all outcomes of being in subjection to the Word of God, having the Law of God written on the heart etc.

So the Ten Commandments? In or Out?

Good or abolished?

Valid or -- done away with?

in Christ,

Bob

12. ByGracethroughFaith

ByGracethroughFaith New Member

In. The purpose is to remove self-righteousness, pointing to righteousness that is found only in Christ.

As an SDA you are not so concerned with all ten though, it is principally the fourth one that gets your attention at the expense of the first one. I am curious what made you feel at liberty to break the fourth commandment in the creating of this thread?

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/6528/fund77.htm

The seventh day sabbath required absence of work, the eighth day is for fullness of worship.

BGTF

13. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Ten Commandmments

I would agree that the options are written in a way that doesn't offer the right answer as an choice. Kind of like "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" If the choices are yes or no I couldn't answer.

If one of these were in the options I could have voted:

The 10 Commandments (along with the entire Law: every jot and tittle) is established and giving strength to sin for them that are under it. (I Cor. 15:56)

OR

The 10 Commandments (along with the entire Law: every jot and tittle) is still helping honest people see their sin. (Rom. 7:13)

OR

The 10 Commandments (along with the entire Law: every jot and tittle) is still giving the minds of men something to delight in while their members are subject to another law and is still bringing them into captivity. (Rom. 7:22-23)

OR

The 10 Commandments (along with the entire law: every jot and tittle ) is still a schoolmaster for those who have not come to Christ. (Gal. 3:24)

OR

The 10 Commandments (along with the entire law: every jot and tittle) are being turned to by those who know God and are bringing them into bondage to weak and beggarly elements. (Gal. 4:9)

OR

The 10 Commandments (along with the entire law, every jot and tittle) are a yoke a bondage for those not standing fast in the liberty which Christ has made them free. (Gal. 5:1)

The 10 Commandments (along with the entire law: every jot and tittle) are being use to glory in people's flesh. (Gal 6:13)

OR

Is still nailed to the cross (along with the entire law: every jot and tittle) having been taken out of the way for those who have been crucified with Christ.
    (Col 2:14)

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'll take the last one! Nailed to the CROSS! :thumbs:

15. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Trustitl,

Now those I must and can easily agree with! Good work :thumbs:

God Bless!

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So far 6 out of 8 agree that the Ten Commandts have not been "downsized" to 9.

Not even ONE vote saying that they are "no longer binding"???? What about all those who want to say that the Ten Commandmetns are "taken out of the way and nailed to the cross" - surely that group could vote for "no longer binding"!!

So far ALL votes agree that the commandments are still binind and 75% agree that ALL ten are still valid-authorotative and binding as the Law of God

I find that amazing!!

For those looking for Bible support of "Nine Commandments not Ten"

Hint: Do a word search in scripture for "Nine Commandments". Then do another one for "Ten Commandments".

Tell us what you find.

in Christ,

Bob

#16 BobRyan, Nov 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2007
  17. billwald

billwald New Member

"The Law" refers to the 613 positive and negative statements in Torah. <G>

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Only because the righteous of the Law is fulfilled in us, through Christ.

BBob,

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Point of correction - no text says "the Law of God is nailed to the Cross" no not even Col 2:14.

What we find in Col 2 is that "our certificate of debt" is paid at the cross. When someone pays the debt that that law demands -- that is the definition of "law that is UPHELD" not law being abolished.

IF you can ignore the debt that the law demands instead of having it paid -- that is the definition of law being struck down.

We all know this but for some reason when it comes to God's Law we pretend to be confused on the matter.

(Of course I am preaching to the choir here since we have not a single vote for the law - the commandments of God - being abolished, no-longer-binding etc)

in Christ,

Bob

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Kinda' tough to vote, when all the options are unacceptable, as given;

I seldom 'vote' in any of the polls, anyway; and

I never play on an unlevel playing field, if I can possibly help it, especially when 'the rules' are one-sided, IMO.

Three strikes and you're out.

So I just stayed "out".

Ed

#20 EdSutton, Nov 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.