1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ten good, solid reasons marijuana should remain illegal

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by thisnumbersdisconnected, Jan 31, 2014.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

"Fine with me if Texans enjoy spending $378,820 everyday or $19,698,640 a year to keep people incarcerated for minor drug possession"

But these arrests aren’t cheap. According to the Texas Criminal Justice Coalition, it costs taxpayers $120 to arrest and book one person in an urban Texas county, and then another $62.97 for each day that the individual is detained. In 2011, Texas jails housed an average of 60,000 inmates a day: That’s $3,788,200 per day spent on incarceration. In 2010, 10 percent of total arrests in Texas for any crime were for simple drug possession — and that figure has been increasing. In other words, taxpayers spend $378,820 every day on those arrested and incarcerated for drug possession, and that number will only increase if current trends continue.

Who's being misleading here?

Did I say just marijuana? Nope. I said, "incarcerated for minor drug possession".

Then why does the article say . . . Texas jails housed an average of 60,000 inmates a day: That’s $3,788,200 per day spent on incarceration.? So for a year (365 days) that works out to $1,382,693,000. Wow! Oops I made a mistake in my math. The total for keeping Texans incarcerated for drug possession is actually $138,269,300 a year not $19,698,640 a year.

That's alot of mulah just to keep Johnny Nickel Bag off the street for a whole year.

By contrast taxpayers have paid zero dollars to incarcerate the big banksters that launder 500 billion a year for the drug cartels because they haven't even spent one day in prison.

Hey that's fair right? Like the Rev says "the rules is the rules". Unless of course you happen to be one of the big banksters or another member of the ruling elite class, then the rules don't apply to you.

#61 poncho, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2014
  2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unprovoked ad hom acknowledged.

Actually, in this case, my first duty is to acknowledge the Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land.

If the Constitution doesn't give the government the authority to pass a law or if a law falls outside the restrictions set by the Constitution, then I have no obligation to follow an illegal law.

Then it isn't against the law in every state.

Based on what? Where does the Constitution say that the federal government has that authority?

Well, that's certainly the logic Emperor Obama would like us to us.

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember yesterday when you called me a punk and told me to shut up? What made you so concerned with rudeness all of a sudden?

What "law of the land" supersedes the Constitution?

Unfortunately, neither the federal government nor your fellow progressives agree with you.

But you believe we should obey laws that were made without any authority?

Such as the right to decide what we eat, drink, and smoke?

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is one of the side effects you will get with legalized pot.
    ----
    DENVER– All day long, customers at LoDo Wellness Center, one of Colorado’s new recreational marijuana stores, reach into the refrigerator and pull out tasty ways to get high. They buy sparkling peach and mandarin elixirs, watermelon Dew Drops, and sleek silver bags of chocolate truffles, each one packed with marijuana’s potent punch.

“The stuff just flies off the shelves,” said Linda Andrews, the store’s owner.

But the popularity of edible marijuana has alarmed parents’ groups, schools and some doctors, who say the highly concentrated snacks are increasingly landing in the hands of teenagers looking for a sweet, discreet high, or of children too young to know the difference between pot brownies and regular ones.

Colorado, like the other states with medical or recreational marijuana, has tried to keep the products away from children. It has ordered stores to sell them in child-resistant packages and bars labels designed to appeal to children. It requires manufacturers to list ingredients and serving sizes.

One survey has found a small but growing number of children seeking treatment after accidentally consuming marijuana. Fourteen such children visited the emergency department of Children’s Hospital Colorado in the Denver area from October 2009 through December 2011, researchers reported in 2013 in the journal JAMA Pediatrics. Before 2009, researchers reported no such exposures.

The research took place after an explosion of medical-marijuana shops in Colorado, but before voters passed measures to legalize the sales and use of recreational marijuana to adults 21 and older.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/02/0...se-concerns.html?ref=marijuana&_r=0&referrer=