1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured ten-reasons-to-not-ask-jesus-into-your-heart-0

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked' (Jer. 17:9). "....Out of the heart of men proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, deceit, lewdness.....etc." (Mark 7:21-22). And you're going to invite Christ into that? No, salvation is God saying to you, "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes" (Ezekiel 36:26-27).

Then He will come and make His home with you (John 14:23)

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Yet in your description of Him and how He must act to remain just and fair, you're making His standard bow to yours. That standard my friend isn't very high since it is a given you are not God.

• Like Like x 1
  3. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

No God is clear about His Standards. He lays them out in the law and scripture. No man except one has ever lived by those standards. By His standards not one person should go to Heaven and yet a murderer was chosen to make it by your standard while a just Pharisee was condemned

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh oh:

Hanserd Knollys, The World to Come (1681)

"Secondly, Open your hearts to Christ, when he knocks at the Door of your Souls, and calls you to come to him, to receive him, and let him come into your hearts, and dwell in your hearts by his holy Spirit, and sanctifying Grace, Rev. 3.20. Behold I stand at the Door and knock, if any man hear my voice, and will open the Door, . . I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. If the Sinner be willing to open the door of his heart, Christ will come in by his holy Spirit, and HE will communicate of his Grace to his Soul."

John Bunyan, The Doctrine of the Law and Grace Unfolded (1685)

"Object[ion]: But, I am afraid the day of Grace is past, and if it should be so, what should I do then?
    Answ[er]: . . . .First, doth the Lord knock still at the door of thy Heart by his Word and Spirit? If so, then the day of Grace is not past with thy Soul; for where he doth so knock, there he doth also proffer, and promise to come in and Sup, (that is, to Communicate of his things unto them) which he would not do, was the day of Grace past with the Soul, Rev. 3. 20."

Thomas Killcop, The Pathway to Justification (1660)

"Obj: There is a passive receiving of Christ without a hand, when God forceth open mans spirit, and powreth in his Son in despite of the receiver.
    Answ. This contradicts Christ, who saith, Behold I stand at the door and knock, if any man will open to me, I will come into him and sup with him, and he with me, Rev. 3.20."

Benjamin Keach, The Glory of God's Rich Grace Displayed (1694)

"O know you, Sinners, this Day, that Jesus Christ, this glorious King, and Prince of the Kings of the Earth, this mighty Saviour is come to your Doors: Behold, I stand at the Door and knock: Rev. 3.20. Will you not open the Door, nor cry to him to help you to open to him, to enable you to believe in him? What do you say, shall the Son of God stand at your Doors, and you not so much as ask, Who is there? Who is at my Door? Shall Christ be kept out of your Hearts, and stand at your Doors, whilst Sin commands the chiefest Room, and has absolute Power over you, and rules in you? How will you be able to look this Blessed Saviour in the Face another Day?"

Charles Spurgeon, "Knock" (1883)

"There stands the Ever-Blessed, knocking at the door of the soul, but the hinges are rusted, the door, itself, is fast bolted and wild briars and all kinds of creeping plants running up the door prove that it has been along time since it was moved. You know what it all means—how continuance in sin makes it harder to yield to the knock of Christ and how evil habits creeping up, one after another, hold the soul so fast that it cannot open to the sacred knocking. Jesus has been knocking at some of your hearts ever since you were children—and still He knocks. I hear His blessed hand upon the door at this moment! Do you not hear it? Will you not open?"

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to be having some trouble following the discussion. Nobody is talking about Christ's living a perfect life.

We are talking about your suggestion that God is not being fair unless He does things your way, the way you approve of. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

You seem to miss the fact that Christ Jesus is the only one who can and ever has met The Fathers standard. So by God's Standard all have sinned and come short of God's glory and therefore His standard. He demands a sacrificial Death for sins and we can't pay that price why because one has to be perfect to be the sacrifice. Without that sacrifice no one would make it to Heaven. How does one come to Salvation by accepting the sacrifice. That sacrifice is Jesus who appeased God's standard for payment. That is His requirement! Yet some believe God must supply the Faith for one to believe on the Sacrifice God provided. Jesus those who believe are not condemned and those who believe not are condemned already Why? Because they failed to believe on Jesus, they failed to do as Paul and call upon the Lord. Yet some say God didn't allow them to believe instead according to their belief certain to perish for their unbelief while God choose murderers and theives to go to Heaven

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    they do not want to believe being bound in sin....they love their sin.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, that is not what we are talking about. :rolleyes:

We are talking about your assertion that God has to do something the way you think it ought to be done in order to be fair. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He does.

Did Adam run to God after he sinned or did he go and hide in the bushes? Hmmmm? He willfully ran away from God. No one made him run, he freely chose to flee. It's that way even to this day. None seek after God...NONE. He hunts them down. Romans 3 and John 15 state this as biblical fact. There's only One seeker...God.

You have no clue do you? Who on here has ever stated, ever avered that God makes anyone reject Him? God did, in fact, harden Pharaoh's heart, but he was a pagan to begin with. He was born fallen in Adam, and was already in a state of rebellion at birth.

No one possesses a free will. It is either bound in Satan or bound in Christ. In Satan, the will is bound, is bent towards sin and self. In Christ, it is directed towards Christ. Man freely acts in accordance with their wills.

Already answered this.

And yet the bible avers something entirely different than this. Jesus proclaimed no man can come unto Him unless they are first drawn. That's not free in any way, shape, form or fashion.

Did the bones in Ezekiel 37 have a choice when Ezekiel prophesied? Did dead Lazarus have a choice when Jesus yelled, "Lazarus, come out!!"? This is two pictures of divine quickening that no man had/has lot or say in. Jesus told that to Nicodemus in John 3:3 and John 3:8. Then there is John 1:13. Then there is Romans 9:16.

Once they have been quickened, brought back to life, they then have something to do, and not before. They exercise God-given faith and God-given repentance and are saved.

10. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When someone is regenerated by the Spirit of God. That is when this happens. If someone believed prior to the Spirit's moving within them, then you have belief prior to faith. You are espousing Pelagianism Monsieur.

11. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More eisegesis I see. None of these verse...I reiterate...NONE...have anything to do with asking Christ to come into their heart.

12. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's the problem. The heart is desperately wicked and who can know it?[Jeremiah 17:9] Yet ppl on here aver that asking Christ into your heart is founded upon scripture? Only God can change the heart of sinners from hating Him to loving Him...from being His enemies to being reconciled. The hearts of the unregenerate are wicked, hate all things God. And yet they can ask God to come into that wicked, God-hating heart?

13. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even more eisegesis I see. God being just is that He always does the right thing. If He sends someone to hell, He did the right thing. If He saves a sinner, He did the right thing. If He hardens a heart, He did the right thing. If He kills someone, He did the right thing. Everything He does is just. But He has never been fair in the way you purport fairness to be. He chose Noah and his family and killed the rest. He chose Israel over every other nation and left them to themselves. He chose Jacob over Esau. He chose His sheep over the goats.

If I bring one co-worker something to eat, and the others got nothing, I did no harm to them I brought no food to. I am not obligated to bring that one co-worker something to eat to begin with. It is out of kindness I bring them some food. I did no harm to those who I brought nothing, as they didn't have it to begin with. That is how it is with God. God did not have to give salvation to anyone, yet in His mercy, He is saving a multitude that no man can number. The ones He left in their fallen state He did no harm to. They were already fallen in Adam.

Read Romans 9 and the vessels of wrath and mercy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He never missed this, but what you said here is true...and refreshing to see it from you. :D

Agree.

Agree.

How does one accept this? It is by faith. Not innate faith...but God-given saving faith. Supernatural faith.

Agree.

Yes it is!!

These 'some believe' are correct. The others? Not so much. :)

Yes.

Bzzzzzz! They were already condemned in Adam. Many died never hearing of Jesus. They never heard the gospel and died condemned because they were sinners. Period. End of story.

How can those who never knew Jesus call upon Him. Read Romans 10:8-17.

God does not restrain sinners from coming to Him, their love of sin does that. Granted, He does not seek after many and leave them to their own devices, but He does not hold a palm against their face and hold them from coming t Him. If He does not seek them FIRST, they will never seek Him. Period. End of Story.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you, IT, in the position that you take with salvation being entirely the work of God. But there also seems to be an inconsistency (or at least an area which needs explanation), regarding this justice.

It seems to me that you are accusing (or approaching that accusation) MWC of idolatry because he fits God into what he believes to be fair and just. I agree with you that the doctrine he holds approaches that (if taken to it's logical conclusion). But at the same time, many Calvinists argue that God must punish the wicked because not to do so would be unjust (God's justice must be satisfied) and therefore he satisfies that demand for justice by pouring out his wrath on his Son so that he can forgive men (and remain just). I am not sure that MWC is holding such a different view of justice and fairness here. How do you see it differently?

16. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

That you for the false accusation

17. Internet Theologian

I am only going by your own logic presented here. You have laid claim to what God must be in order to be just and fair, note your post in post #28:

Others have called you on this as well, and have addressed thte same error, 'accusing' you of the same.

Note this post that addresses your belief in the same manner:

There are more posts that do the same from others toward your position. You put your beliefs out there, then handle the repercussions of your error without the accusations and slanderous comment.

IOW don't go around calling me a liar. That is one thing I don't tolerate from any person and is not one thing I practice. Thanks. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Internet Theologian

You are one confused individual. Perhaps your army of straw men have led you astray? Yes, that is what it is. :)

19. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

No your going by your indoctrination and beliefs about God. God must fit into your box, where as God in His Sovereignty deals with mankind by His attributes.

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agreed with your conclusion, but was asking you a question. I asked how MWC's idea that God must be just differs from the Calvinistic doctrine that God must be just. If you are unable to answer that's fine. Just say so.

But you need to stop the asinine and foolish insults when people ask questions of you. When you do things like this it looks as if it's a defense tactic to hide ignorance. I am asking how his view of divine justice differs from yours, not challenging you to a battle of insults. How is his understanding that God must be just idolatry when Calvinists also believe that God must be just (I also believe that God is just)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.