1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Tenn. assoc. disfellowships church with female pastor

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You will have to break it down how it is hypocritical. I don't get it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This may be interesting. When I was a boy in school and had a woman teacher I didn't do so well. When I had a man teacher I made good grades. I believe the reason is you can't get away with stuff as easily with a man teacher as you can a woman. Men have a different respect for other men than they do for women. There respect for a woman is a protective one. The respect for another man is that other man's leadership. It's hard for a woman to set a good example for a man. Simply because she's a woman and the man doesn't see what she sees the same way.
    MB

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How sad that some are vexed with such hangups.

Charles Spurgeon, "The Whole Machinery of Salvation":

"I learned my theology, from which I have never swerved, from an old woman who was cook in the house where I was an usher. She could talk about the deep things of God; and as I sat and heard what she had to say, as an aged Christian, of what the Lord had done for her, I learned more from her instruction than from anybody I have ever met with since."

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Who cares what Spurgeon said?

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No one said one couldn't learn from a woman. Heck, I know my husband has a dear friend who is a senior saint now who taught him a lot. She is an amazing Bible teacher and worked with youth alongside him for many years. But she never even began to approach the pastorate, knowing that was not for a woman. But her gifts never have gone to waste.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Then remain single. But you do not qualify to pastor. That's just one of those consequences of divorce.

I love Charles Stanley. But I do think he should have, no matter what good he's doing, should have stepped down after his divorce IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What if a man is divorced and remarried long before he ever wanted to enter the ministry? Like 30 years before? When he was divorced and even when he remarried, he was not saved but came to Christ a few years into his marriage and now he and his wife serve the Lord helping addicts overcome their addiction. Is he disqualified?

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Sin is sin, either in Christ-centered marriage or outside of it. IMO, non-Christians are held just as accountable. When they stand before the Great White Throne of Judgment, it will be for rejecting Christ and choosing to disobey what He has commanded. And to not divorce is one of those things.

God takes marriage seriously.

If he came to Christ a few years into his marriage, that means that he and his ( I'm assuming) already saved wife committed another sin of being unequally yoked. Unless his wife is dead, he is committing adultery.

This type of stuff is , I believe, one of the reasons why God takes marriage so seriously.

I'm sure there are some who will say 'that can't be right. Surely God would not have someone who wasn't saved before he got married and divorced" to remain single or be reconciled to his wife?' even if the wife has remarried.

Why wouldn't He?

But praise Him for His grace and His mercy that forgives us even when we sin in such a way.

#28 Zaac, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just about every Calvinist. John Calvin was Spurgeon's forerunner, after all.

10. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zaac doesn't really care! He thinks his word is without reproach! Sad indeed!

11. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are saying that God can't forgive the sin of DIVORCE? That is brazen! And a little beyond what the Word teaches!

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Where did anyone say that God couldn't or wouldn't forgive the sin of divorce? He'll forgive the homosexual offense too, but I don't see you or anyone else on here making that known. The heterosexual sin of divorcing and remarrying when the spouse isn't dead should be right up there with living a fornicative homosexual lifestyle.

13. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Old news .... more ranting and raving from what has become an old tactic of yours to draw people into nothing arguments. I think they call that "trolling?"

14. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't get it either! Roflmao

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Be gone. You just have to make up lies so that you can write something. Sad.

16. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

No one has said that God can't forgive the sin. What you are failing to acknowledge is that there can still be consequences for that sin. When you get heaven, go ask David if there were still consequences for his sin.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So this means any man who did not handle his household well or has been an alcoholic cannot be pastor either. It doesn't matter where he stands now - if he did it once, he is forever disqualified. At least that's what it seems what you are saying.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did God stop using David because of his sin? Did He remove him from his rule?

I agree there are consequences but I also think some of those consequences "age out" after a time and there is a difference before and after salvation. If a pastor is in office and divorces his wife so he can marry the church secretary who he had been having an affair with, I agree - pretty much he's done. However, I do not see anywhere that a young man getting a divorce because of addiction, getting remarried then coming to Christ and overcoming his addiction - and proving over the next 30 years that he is a faithful servant of the Lord and he has repented of all of his past - that he would be disqualified from ministry.

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

No one said he was disqualified from ministry. He's disqualified from pastoring. You're stating subjective situations in which MEN have to decide if someone is disqualified based upon feelings. That's unnecesary because God has already said what disqualifies him from pastoring. A person can fix being a drunkard. The only way to fix the divorce is to go back to the person you divorced.

Marriage is different from addiction.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So divorce is the only thing that can prevent a man from becoming a pastor?