1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TENNESSEE Baptists

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by rlvaughn, Jan 21, 2002.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are from Tennessee, or are interested in Tennessee Baptist History, you will be glad to know that rootsweb is putting online A History of Middle Tennessee Baptists by J. H. Grime (1902). Four chapters have been added so far.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The Tennessee Baptist Convention recently published a large history of the TBC as well.

3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be the one by Albert W. Wardin, Jr. - Tennessee Baptists: A Comprehensive History, 1779-1999. It is great and I highly recommend it. For non-SBC'ers, you will be interested in that it touches on many things beyond the Tennessee Baptist Convention.

4. Doc Yankum

Doc Yankum New Member

Robert, When you mentioned Bro. Grimes history in your post my ears perked up. I have three copies of his book in my library. On page 52 he gives the date and the ministers involved in the organization of Old Union Baptist Church in 1795. This is the church in which I hold membership.

5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wanna sell a copy?? :eek: Do you know if any of the Church History Research and Archives reprints might still be available somewhere? I read Eld. Grimes' book over 20 years ago and would love to obtain a copy.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rlvaughn:
    That would be the one by Albert W. Wardin, Jr. - Tennessee Baptists: A Comprehensive History, 1779-1999. It is great and I highly recommend it. For non-SBC'ers, you will be interested in that it touches on many things beyond the Tennessee Baptist Convention.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct. Good resource. Worth having in every library on Church History.

7. Doc Yankum

Doc Yankum New Member

Robert, I guess I'll keep my copies for my sons. I have two that are interested in Baptist history. If I change my mind I'll let you know.

8. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was mostly tongue-in-cheek; I didn't really think you would want to sell them. But I had to give it a try. [​IMG]

9. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. David Cooke Jr

David Cooke Jr New Member

Does anyone know who founded the FBC in Tennessee?

11. lidia

lidia Guest

A distant relative of mine, Elijah Hanks, was an early Baptist minister in Tennessee, starting in the 1820s. He was pastor for the Knob Creek Baptist Church in Maury County. He looked a bit like Abraham Lincoln and was said to be a cousin of Nancy Hanks Lincoln.
    Some of his relatives were Baptist ministers in southwestern Missouri and in Texas. He was quite an interesting character.