1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tenors

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by FR7 Baptist, Jun 22, 2010.

?
  1. First

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Second

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Does your church choir have more first or second tenors? Mine has more firsts. I sing second.

2. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I've only been in one church choir where we actually sang in parts, soprano, alto, tenor, bass. Many churches don't have a choir, or they all just sing the melody. People who willing to sing at all are rare in churches (at least Baptist ones), and people who read music and can sing something other than the melody are even more rare. At least that's been my experience. I have heard people with some very good voices sit in the congregation and not offer to use their God-given talent to glorify the Lord.

I love to sing and have been doing it since I was a teen, and I'm now 64. I went to Bible college to study music to better use the talent God gave me, and I get upset at people who won't even use their talent for the Lord. They say, "I can't sing", while they have one of the best voices in the church. You can hear them during the congregational songs. While I have attempted to sing bass in a choir, I am a baritone.

3. FR7 Baptist

I've never heard an adult choir that only sings the melody. I've visited churches without a choir, but all the ones with a choir sing in parts. It's interesting that you've had a different experience. My choir has done some really cool stuff that goes into up to 8 parts, such as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir version of "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing." That's one of my favorite hymns.

4. ccap74

ccap74 New Member

my first post... We have four 2nd, one 1st and two baritones

5. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

I read music and have no objection to energizer bunny music, but I find it very difficult to sing the melody simply because of the key that it is written in or played in it is either too low or too high.

6. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I have a fairly wide range, but some songs are written too low or too high for me also, or they have such a wide range of notes and go from very low to very high so that most people can't possibly sing them. I met a man once who said he had a four octave range, and he told me about a woman with a six octave range!

I never liked the "Hallelujah Chorus" because of it's constant repetition until I sang it with a 200 voice choir; it sent chills through me. I generally can't stand songs that repeat the same music or words over and over and over.

#6 Jon-Marc, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
  7. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a small choir and very few music readers. Most of our men (5 or 6) sing melody. The "basses" sing it an octave lower!

But... we've got that "joyful noise" thing down! We have a great time in worship.

As for me, I was a voice major in college - second tenor.

8. FR7 Baptist

I liked it until I sang it with a 200 voice choir. For some reason, I just don't like it any more. I do like "For Unto Us A Child Is Born" also from Handel's Messiah.

Couldn't you have a sectional rehearsal and isolate the part and drill it into their brains, or teach them the part by rote before you do any other parts? Since you only have 5 or 6 men, have you thought about doing some three part stuff? How many sopranos and altos do you have?