1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Term and Age Limits on Politicans... Is This a Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by righteousdude2, Apr 16, 2010.

1. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree that upper age limits would be a bad thing.

I do, however, favor term limits. More like 6 two-year terms for the House and 2 six-year terms for the Senate.

Concerning the bolded portion above, is that really bad? I for one want Congress to be full of people who get virtually nothing done. Note to Congress: "STOP passing laws!" I want gridlock in Congress. I want them to get their grubby hands off my constitutional rights and stop destroying my freedoms "for my good."

2. daveme7

daveme7 New Member

To me this runs into discrimination issues. It is fairly easy to nadvocate for a restriction until others advocate the same thing about you.

This somewhat fails to show the real problem-sinfulness of humanity is the problem-not if someone serves at an older age.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it is discrimination - but contrary to popular belief the USA does sanction much discrimination.

Airline pilots must retire at a certain age (65?), handicap only spots, Congress must be at least 25 to serve, certain products are limited in sales - alcoholic - ect, use of restrooms by gender, who a coach puts on his football team, and ect. We discriminate against the President of the US from more than 8 years. Therefore, term limits are constitutional.

Now let me address your second statement "others advocate the same thing about you."
    I have been wanting to get a different job. I have two things against me; my age and I do have a slight physical disability (which would prevent me from some physical activity). - I am able to hide the fact of my bad knees at least for a while.

My belief is that an employer has the right to hire whomever he wants for whatever reason he deems necessary. - Yes, even if it prevents me from getting a job!