1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Terrel Owens attempts suicide

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by webdog, Sep 27, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's hard to tell about Owens.

He likes to be the center of attention.

This may be another one of his stunts or he might have some real emotional or mental problems.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Who is he?

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Terrel Ownes is a receiver on the Dallas Cowboys who has had off the field issues the last few years. He's probably the best receiver in the NFL.

As far as it being a "stunt", I highly doubt it. When the police asked him if he was trying to hurt himself he replied "yes". You don't risk your life by swallowing 35 pain killers for media attention only...you have serious issues beyond celebrity status.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I could agree he is probably the best individual contributor receiver but he is not a team player. Unfortunately, NFL requires team participation like running a real pattern even if the pass is not coming to you or blocking for your teammates.

I imagine he does have a real battle going on in his head. He has great potential yet he is pulling himself down. I will keep TO in prayer.

6. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

“The fact that it has been reported a suicide attempt, he’s laughed at that notion. It was a case that medication that was taken wasn’t accepted well in his system with the other vitamins he’s on,” Sanders said."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15021827/

thjplgvp

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Should we believe the publicist...or the police report? Hmmm....

8. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

As an Eagles' fan, naturally I can't stand the guy. But it's obvious that this guy has serious emotional issues and has for a long, long time.

I don't like him, but I do pray for him and I do ask God to teach me to love him.

As for the suicide attempt, I don't believe it.

I was a paramedic for about ten years and transported literally hundreds of suicide attempts.

I can tell you from first hand experience, if the doctors have even a speck of evidence to believe that you're suicidal, they're not going to release you the next day.

In fact, if I remember correctly, there is a mandatory 72 hour observation period.

Whatever his problem is, I do hope he gets the help he so obviously needs.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Mike, you remind me of an old saying I once heard, "if anyone wants to kill themself they will. Other attempts are really a cry for attention".

I'm sure I didn't get that right but that was the general idea.

10. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Killing yourself isn't rocket science and killing yourself by overdose is extremely inefficient.

I tend to agree with you. Suicide "attemps" are almost always people who don't want to die, but don't know how to make it through life and they desperately want someone to reach out to them.

Jimmy Buffett has a great song called "Permanent Reminder of a Temporary Feeling". Suicide is a mind under extreme emotional duress seeking a permanent solution to what is really a temporary problem.

11. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

I thought the same thing but decided to give the man the benefit of doubt. Its pretty obvious he's at the very least a partial nut case and a publicity hound anyway. You know any notice is better than no notice.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Police reports are not always factual. When you report an incident to the police, they ask you for a statement and write down what you say happened. It doesn't meant that what they write is exactly what took place. If fact, if two people having an argument both give statements to the police, their reports will seldom agree.

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

He says he was out of it when the police spoke to him. He doesn't remember any of it.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It still doesn't seem right. I mean, the publicist plucked pills out of his mouth, told the police...and then retracts?!? How does one get that "out of it" taking only 2-3 pain pills?