1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Terri Schiavo

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Bro. James Reed, Mar 23, 2005.

?
  1. Yes, and I am Baptist.

79.3%
  2. No, and I am Baptist.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, and I am Catholic.

1.7%
  4. No, and I am Catholic.

3.4%
  5. Yes, and I am Protestant (non-Baptist).

6.9%
  6. No, and I am Protestant (non-Baptist).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Yes, and I am another religion not listed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. No, and I am another religion not listed.

8.6%
  9. I don't know.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is yet another tragic case that appears to capture public imagination from time to time.

"Thou shalt not kill." as a nurse and a Christian I will not participate in the murder of a human being whether friend or foe. Starvation is murder when it is wilful, withholding of fluids is murder.

If the person who is in a vegetative coma and becomes unwell I do not necessarily see the need for active treatment although others may see that as withholding treatment.

I worked for a while in a state facility for severely disabled children who were wards of the state. These kids were fed, clothed, washed and loved but no medical intervention was given. When the child died, there was always the need for the cot as there were so many more to be cared for.

I believe that these persons are there/here to make us as a society reaffirm our HUMANITY in the care of these vulnerable folk. [​IMG]

2. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I've wondered the same thing....

3. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by Ben W: Is it time for Christians to take part in Civil Disobediance and do something about it?

I don't think civil disobedience is the answer. I think we should organize as the body of Christ and come against them with the biggest law suit they have ever seen and make some positive changes.

4. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

No! As I have posted in detail in another thread, the Bible expressly forbids civil disobedience and we do not find a single case of it in the New Testament. In early church history we find civil disobedience on the part of Christians with the sanction of the Church exclusively when they chose to worship Christ as God rather than the Emperor of Rome.

Rom. 13:1. Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.
    2. Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves.
    3. For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same;
    4. for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil.
    5. Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of wrath, but also for conscience' sake.

1 Pet. 2:13. Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority,
    14. or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right.
    15. For such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men. (NASB, 1995)

[​IMG]

5. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I have three questions for you:

1. Precisely whom is the "them" that you propose should be sued?

2. Precisely who is the “we” that you propose should organize?

3. Precisely what kind of an organization do you propose the “we” should organize into as the plaintiff in the law suit?

[​IMG]

6. Pete

Pete New Member

Baptist on all, then 1: No 2: Yes 3: Yes.

Ben, I can't see it happening. The murder of a million or so unborn babies in U.S. each year doesn't seem to promote much of an effort in things that can be done against that practice even in obedience...What's another murder I guess [​IMG]