1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Testimony Time

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Spinach, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Please tell me your salvation testimony, as well as any other stories of praise. I love to hear what great things our Lord has done!

Brag on Him a little.

2. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I guess this got moved.

3. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I was raised in a home that taught me to be good. Great Mother and father who taught me right from wrong and for the most part I was a "pretty good guy". Quite confident (cocky) in an Appalacian sort of way, was pretty sure that I was smarter than the rest of the world and would retire before 30 as a millionaire. I was married and settling into life quite well when my wife decided to ruin it by starting to attend this church. She told me that some of the men there played basketball on a weeknight at the local Elem school, so I went and played ball with them. After getting to know them I thoght that if I played ball with them I should probably go to church some, so I went one morning and though it was the most boring thing I had ever experianced. I didn't hear a word and hated every minute, but when the preacher gave an alter call something made me want to go and repent of my sins. However, being the tough redneck hick that I am, I proudly resisted.

Yet all that day and into the week that drawing was there. They were holding revival that week and I had made a decision to go and be saved. I had no idea that I could get saved anywere else but the church. I had only attended a service one time. Well on Thursday night March 27, 1983 I went for the sole purpose of becoming a christian. One again my ignorance came to play because I wanted to get saved but they weren't getting around to calling the preacher. Everyone kept giving testimonies, singing, and crying, etc I didn't think they would ever preach and I had to leave at a certain time (don't remeber when or what for). Well they finally called this guy up to preach. He had driven from Columbus Ohio down to our town about 1.5 hrs to preach but when he stood he said "I don't feel led to preach but feel like someone want to come to the alter to be saved". I ran.

I'll never forget Rev. Kline and his obediance to the spirit. If he had preached that night I probably would have left to keep my appointment and may or may not have given my life to Christ. I'll never forget the time, the place, and the people who prayed next to me. The Lord has led me to work elseware, but every time I drive by this church I thank God for the Godly people there. Their prayers, and there faithfullness.

Needless to say, my life has never been the same since. The hours I worked chasing castles in the sand I now spend working for the Lord.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

5. DarrylB

DarrylB New Member

My Testimony

I've lurked for years; I guess there's no better introduction than my testimony. It's posted on my blog.

Darryl

6. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Welcome, Darryl.

Thanks, everyone. I enjoy reading the testimonies of others!

I came to Christ as a child. I loved Jesus so much. I asked him to wash away all my sins and take me to Heaven with Him.

Later, at the age of 12, I felt such a burden for missions. I didn't know what to make of it. I clung to all the visiting missionaries. I cried at every slide show. I read all the prayer letters.

At a tent meeting around that time, I couldn't help myself. I had to get up out of my seat to an altar, and surrender my life to the work of Christ.

Later in my teens, I strayed away from all of the above. I was rebellious. I wanted nothing to do with the church or it's rules. It was the church, in my mind, that was ruining the loving home I had belonged to.

So....I got married, had kids, and attended a church because that's what I was raised to do. I taught Sunday School. I played piano and sang. I worked the nursery. Dh and I were youth leaders. I wanted to work for God. It was all motions, though.

Then one day God came by in such a mighty way and I was refreshed in Him. I surrendered all over again. My husband didn't know about the surrender to missions at 12. Too much had happened since then that I didn't figure God would use me like that anymore.

In 2001, God got ahold of dh. He wrestled with it for a month or so. Finally he surrendered to the mission field. It was then that I told him about the tent meeting when I was 12. We rejoiced together.

We went full-time in the Spring of 2002. Deputation soon followed and in November of 2004, we landed on foreign soil.

So many things have happened since then, but God has never failed us. We see His hand, leading us all the way. I praise Him for His faithfulness!

7. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I could tell from your post that you were in a mission field somewhere but where are located now? If you don't mind my asking.

8. quickened1

quickened1 New Member

Thanks for sharing those God glorifying testimonies. Its interesting that so many that were saved young, eventually backslid but came back. Im in that number myself. Of course the Lord had everything to do with bringing us back.

9. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Eastern Europe

10. quickened1

quickened1 New Member

My Dad is Catholic and my Mother was saved as a teen and is Baptist. Mom never sat me down with her bible but she taught me the fear of the Lord. She didnt drive in the earlier years so we only got to church when Dad was willing to drop us off and pick us up. Deafness is hereditary in my family and comes in from Dad's side. Dad was almost completely deaf before he turned 30. My brother is deaf but Im able to hear some with hearing aids.

My childhood was mostly fun and games. Looking back I can see where God was dealing with me. I know he was teaching me the fear of the Lord. He did so by making sure I got caught nearly everytime I got out of line. Ususally after I was caught the consequense followed. In time I became convinced that God existed. I also noticed that He protected me in many different instances. There were some very close calls with cars while riding my bike. I was also taken away by current in a lake and nearly drowned. In fact I was exhausted and had given up. I had accepted my fate momentarily and was on the lake floor when I made a final attempt. I was then rescued.

When I was 11 or 12 one of my Aunt's died from cancer. Her wake was the first wake I attended. That night I realized that death was real. Up until then death was just something in the movies. That night I did some thinking about death and although I had some questions, those thoughts eventually passed and life got back to normal.

When I was 14 I noticed something going on at the house. My Mother was acting a little different and she was hiding something from me. I would enter a room where she was talking either on the phone or to my Dad, and she would have me leave. I would find notes at times which were reminders of her doctor appointments. I would ask her about it and she would not tell me anything. This went on for awhile and eventually I became convinced Mom had cancer and was going to die. I was worried sick over it and felt helpless. I became depressed and the matter dominated my mind.

For the first time in my life I began to pray. I prayed the best way I knew how and this went on for many days. One night I was really torn and told the Lord I needed help. That I didnt want Mom to die and didnt know why she would have to. I told him I needed answers. I got up off my knees and got in my bed. I had only been laying there a few minutes. My mind was kind of blank. Then I recieved a message; "If you want the truth, read the bible". I said "What ?" What I meant was "What is going on? Is that the Lord speaking to me". I was thinking that to myself but once again the message came; "If you want the truth, read the bible". I was awe struck and couldnt believe it. Why the thought of reading the bible never came to my mind before is something I cant explain. Anyway knowing that my Mom kept a bible in the lampstand in my room, I went and got it. I just lit up with hope as I sat on my bed, bible in hand.

There was this moment of peace and something caused me to pause before I opened the bible. Another message came to me; "This is the word of God. This is the truth. If your beliefs do not line up with the bible, throw them out." Again I couldn't believe it and I sat there amazed. My hope had sky rocketed. Then I began to read and my desire to read was very strong. I read it everyday, every chance I got. I read through the O.T. and into the N.T. I found my answers about death. I learned there was something wrong with man and that I needed to be saved.

Before I finished reading the N.T. I knelt at my bedside on 2 different occassions and prayed that the Lord would save me. I had repented and confessed my sins and I knew the Lord could save me. However it didnt happen. Something wasnt right as I was holding onto something. After the second time I became afraid that I wasn't going to get saved. The 3rd time I prayed (these 3 prayers were not the same night but were spread out over a few days) I had this sense of urgency and this fear that the Lord might pass me by. This time I got saved and felt the peace, joy assurance and everything else. I was 15 at the time.

Maybe 2 months had passed and I had been reading my bible a lot. I was out in public somewhere. I dont recall where. I also dont recall if I heard a comment from someone standing near by or whether it was from someone on tv. Anyway this comment brought to my attention that there was more than one bible/version. I was suprised by this and a little confused as I thought there was just 1 bible for the english language. I did not take notice of what version I had. I was very anxcious to find out what I had and I had no idea what it was. I remembered though that the Holy Spirit had told me it was the word of God and the truth. When I got back to the house I got to the bible as quick as I could. I opened it up and read that it was the Authorized King James Version.

Im a 46 year old man now. Dad and Mom are still with me. The Lord works in mysterious ways. For Mom never had cancer. She wouldnt tell me what her problem was because it was a female matter. Go figure.