1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Texas attitude towards UN

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by mont974x4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Texas officials this week launched a prickly and very public dispute with the Organization for Security and Co-Operation in Europe, which plans to send monitors to polling sites across the U.S. on Election Day. The group has done this since 2002 -- but this year, Texas took exception to what officials perceived as a challenge to the latest wave of voter ID laws.

Attorney General Greg Abbott is now threatening to prosecute any observer who breaks state law by getting too close to any polling site.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...st-international-poll-watchers/#ixzz2AQLXoqgg

Texas is making in tempting to move there.

2. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

haha! Well you're welcome here! I've heard it said "You can always tell a Texan. But you can't tell'em much!". While I'm generally sympathetic to the Great State and Republic of Texas (<wink-grin>) I'm slow to get excited about sloganeering and bumper-sticker mentality/politics. I'm not saying that this is one of those cases but I'm just expressing reservations. Is it really necessary or helpful to come out like this against these 'observers'? Maybe so, but idk.

3. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

LOL I was in TX in '94. The Army sent me to Shepherd AFB in Wichita Falls for the aircraft pneudraulics course. I had a great time. That's where I got my 2nd tattoo.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you AG Abbott. The UN should monitor Chicago and shake hands with the new black panthers while we check IDs as the law requires.

5. billwald

billwald New Member

>Attorney General Greg Abbott is now threatening to prosecute any observer who breaks state law by getting too close to any polling site.

Goofier than a three dollar bill. Polling places are PUBLIC. A person is supposed to wait outside in the rain for their spouse? Stand inside with eyes closed? Around here some were in churches and had coffee and whatever.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the Texas AG is warning the monitors of the Texas' statutory 100 feet polling place perimeter. I.e. unless you are actually voting, standing in line to vote or are a poll worker, you can't come inside 100 feet of the entrance to a polling place. In many states, it's considered an anti-electioneering measure. In others, it's a anti-intimidation measure.

And by the same measure, I assume Texas law does not make provision for persons other than voters and election officials to be inside a polling place.

#6 Squire Robertsson, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2012