Texas judge rules for cheerleaders in Bible banner suit

Discussion in 'News / Current Events' started by Revmitchell, May 8, 2013.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell
    Expand Collapse

BEAUMONT, Texas – A judge ruled Wednesday that cheerleaders at a Southeast Texas high school can display banners emblazoned with Bible verses at football games.

But the ruling might not have settled the issue of whether the banners are protected free speech, according to an attorney for the cheerleaders' school district.

State District Judge Steven Thomas determined the Kountze High School cheerleaders' banners are constitutionally permissible. In the ruling, Thomas determined that no law "prohibits cheerleaders from using religious-themed banners at school sporting events."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/0...erleaders-in-bible-banner-suit/#ixzz2Slf5RZhj

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist
    Expand Collapse

My thoughts and feelings on these matters are sometimes ambivalent.

3. go2church

go2church
    Expand Collapse

Almost always ambivalent.

I love that young people want to "confess" their faith publicly. Just not sure scripture verses on banners at football games is the best way to accomplish that goal.

This is Texas and like a lot of activities in he Bible Belt, far too often we like and strive for the appearance of belief.

Be interested to see how the next court will handle this. Also would they allow a banner that said "praise Allah" or "god doesn't exist"?

4. Salty

Salty
    Expand Collapse
    20,000 Posts Club

If this were to happen, who would complain the most? Would the ACLU demand it too stop?

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist
    Expand Collapse

My thoughts as well.