1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Texas Mother Given 5 Years Probation for Spanking Her Daughter

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by gb93433, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Rosalina Gonzales, a mother of three from Corpus Christi, Texas, was sentenced to five years’ probation, a $50 fine, and parenting classes after pleading guilty to spanking her two-year-old daughter on the rear-end last December under the charge of “Injury to a Child.” Gonzales did not use an object to spank her daughter, and the spank did not leave a bruise, but when the child’s grandmother noticed red marks, she took the child to the hospital.

The rest of the story: http://www.parents.com/blogs/parent...-5-years-probation-for-spanking-her-daughter/

2. mandym

mandym New Member

Activist judges need to be removed from the bench.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ridiculous abuse of judicial power.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

Texas Law!

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I believe in spanking. However, if you spank a 2 year old hard enough to leave red marks long enough for the doctor to see at the hospital, something is wrong, IMO.

6. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. A simple spanking should not leave marks, especially long lasting ones.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Bad judge, bad decision. Different children bruise differently then others and this one did not bruise at all. What we are seeing is a government ripping away our freedoms and liberals helping them do it. I do not necessarily see a problem with marks.

#7 freeatlast, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2011
  8. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

I would normally side with the mother based on what I know, but this woman admitted she broke the law.

9. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

What?! Apparently you have never dealt with a kid who is punching, kicking, and turning, and refuses to be spanked. All it takes is one misplaced slap, and it can leave a welp that will last for a couple of days.

Frankly, it was none of the Judges D$%$ business. This is just plain sick!

10. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

She admitted to SPANKING the child. That is not against the law.

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was it a spanking or a beating? No one has mentioned the line from the article in the quote below:

A spanking is one thing. A beating, what else can we call it, that injures a child is something else again. Spanking a 2 year old? IMHO about the only thing that will happen if you spank a 2 year old is the child will cry and that will probably make the situation worse.

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The only thing that the child suffered was red marks. There was not even any bruises so there was no beating.

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Court Records, Police Reports Show Corpus Christi Case About More Than Spanking

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

15. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No, to be honest, I haven't. I don't know if it's how we raised them, their personalities or what but while they were never happy to get spanked, they never punched or kicked us - or refused to be spanked. They knew it was coming and while they might turn a little to deflect it, they never turned away refusing.

But to leave a welp that lasts a few days means that you are spanking too hard - and that there are deeper issues there. The longest I think my children have ever had a mark on them was about 20 minutes. If that. And I've made it to 19 and 21 with two of my children and they are GREAT kids so I didn't underdiscipline them.

17. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Leaving a welp as you call it is beyond a spanking. This woman needed a wake up call, and the child needed protection. Kudos to the judge, the doctor, and the grandmother. This mom was lucky not to get jail time.

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For most boys, spanking doesn't work unless it raises welts. Everyone should have a good switch-growing tree in his yard.

19. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Did all of you people read the judges comments? He didn't condemn here for spanking too hard, or anything else: he said that SPANKING in and of itself was criminal!

Second, that is an absurd statement. Welps, red marks, etc., are all a function of ones skin type, complexion, and thickness of clothing, not necessarily how hard you are hitting. I don't bruise; you can beat the tar out of me, and I won't have a mark. Others get bruises just from touching them too firmly.

Whether or not the mom happened to swing too hard and leave a red mark, it was still not the government's job to interfere (for that: I admit I had not read anything about the other bruising/fractures that someone posted above, which would have been cause for interference). Government interference should be reserved for serious physical and sexual abuse, not for a parent simply swinging a little too hard and leaving a "red mark." Again, the judge specifically referenced her spanking AT ALL...which is worrisome.

20. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Also, since I've been hearing about this case in the local news, I have heard that this mother has had run-ins with CPS before for other forms of abuse. It was time she was put out of commission.

Spanking is an antiquated way of dealing with a problem. All it really does is make the parent feel better, teach the child that violence is a legitimate option, and control behavior by intimidation and coercion. Besides, many Christian parents I know have told me that there are many more effective means of discipline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.