1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Texeira traded (Hey Andy....)

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Jul 30, 2007.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

He goes to the Braves, and the Braves give up some prospects along with SwH C Jarrod Saltalamachia (Sp?) Buster Olney just gave this trade high marks for both since Salt is a SwH C :laugh: I guess he forgot that this is just a novelty :laugh:

2. Cutter

Cutter New Member

You guys are getting a great player with just as good an attitude in Salty. I hate to see him go. I think if the Braves had of put him at first regularly he would have posted some impressive numbers. And to get our top prospect at short, Elvis, makes me think the Braves have hurt themselves.:tonofbricks:

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Andy is not a Rangers' fan. That's an inside joke.

The Rent-A-Braves strike again. The Rangers may well be doing themselves a favor for the future. 5 years from now, this could be a great deal for them. I still don't think the Braves have addressed their real problem, which is bullpen help (I just don't see Wickman as the answer, but that's my opinion). Remember - I'm a Reds fan - I have no idea what a good bullpen looks like :laugh: I'd ask Andy for his help, but he's a Tigers' fan, so he doesn't have much more experience with a good 'pen as I do.

4. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Gotcha on the joke:laugh:

Now on Wickman. He came in real strong, but has faultered of late. I think it's more in his head than in his arm. I hope he can get it straightened out. Seems like Soriano has fallen prey to the same thing. :(

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I was half-hoping the Tigers would get Texeira, so we could just out-slug the opposition. I would like to get Gagne and move Jones to setup.

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Well, that strategy worked out great for the 2006 New York Yankees. Oh, wait, that's right, it didn't. :)

In last night's game, I heard that the Tigers have allowed something like 85 runs over the last 3 games and 600 runs since the All-Star break. Or, you know, something like that. At least I can say that the Tigers haven't been very good lately, which counts for something in my little world. :)

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I hear you. But scoring runs is so fun! The only good news is that as poor as the Tigers have been playing, the Indians are doing almost as poor - only gaining a game and half over the last couple of weeks.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Gagne is a great fit for the Tigers, IMHO. However, the Yankees are supposedly interested.

David Weathers might be available. Maybe he'll be the answer for the Tigers! :laugh:

The Reds need pitching. SP, RP, SU, CP....doesn't matter. Good to know that trading away RP Shackleford to the Rays for INF Julio Lugo will do the trick. We've got Castro and Gonzo, and Keppenger is tearing the ball just up from Louisville...so we definitely need another LSINF. Sheesh. But then again, maybe if he can be an everyday SS, and move Keppenger to 3B, we can deal Castro, Gonzo, and Encarnacion and pick up someone's Single-A long reliever who's 34 and moonlights as a Wal-Mart greeter.

I am serious about Lugo at Short and Kepp at 3B. Keep Castro or Gonzo, and get rid of Encarnacion with the other one to get a prospect or a Costco gift card...ANYTHING at this point. Maybe one of those will be packaged with Dunn (who I hate to get rid of, but hate to watch trying to play outfield).

Sorry...typical trading-deadline rant from a Reds fan.

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Julio Lugo plays for the Red Sox, do you mean Cantu from the Devil Rays?

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I thought I heard that Gagne's contract says that he has to be the team's closer. If that's the case, I doubt the Yankees would get him and demote Rivera to setup. Don't see that happening, but I could be wrong about the contract.

I would take Griffey Jr. for some left-handed pop. ;)

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'm sorry...it's a Monday and I have about four screens up at once. Yes, Cantu. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if maybe Cantu will be 3B, Keppenger at SS, and....wait..I'm using logic. I'm obviously not a Reds' front office guy. :laugh:

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Don't know about the contract. That would be hard to quantify. Who knows what Torre is thinking. Even worse, who knows what the front office for the Yanks is thinking. I've heard Farnsworth used in trade talks, but I can't see Gagne taking his role. (I wish BR had "holds" for RPs)

And you can't have Junior. :thumbs: He has a no-trade clause and is a 10/5 guy to boot. Hal McCoy wrote that Jr. isn't going anywhere, based on what his agent and Junior are saying. I just don't think the Reds will deal him, even to their detriment on the field. Junior is winning back some fans in Cincinnati, and the Reds have other folks teams are interested in.