1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Textual Criticism

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by KJVBibleThumper, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KJVBibleThumper

KJVBibleThumper New Member

I appreciate the balanced tone that C4K brings to discussions like this, but I am afraid brother that you are a hair off :smilewinkgrin: if you will recall, I was pretty much exactly the same as far as defending the KJV almost 5 years ago when I first got on as I am now. PCC has merely taught me how to better argue a point, and how to attempt to put my thoughts into a more organized fashion. The majority of my knowledge comes from my own study in my spare time and the fact that I have had almost 5 more years in which to study.

And I might also say that PCC is actually a TR school, not a KJVO school, and I have (politely) debated the issue with a number of the faculty there. ;) I am not in perfect agreement with them on all of their stand. ;)

Logos, and Annsi,you have perfectly illustrated how I like to see responses, you organized your points clearly, you made an answer to everything my post raised, and you did it politely. As our brother C4K stated, it is good to always hear both sides, and while I do not agree with your position, I appreciate the way you carefully responded. You really must have put some time into that one :thumbs:

I appreciate that, I will get back to you later tonight with my response as I am going to have to double check the Greek part of my premlinary response with my dad, who has a degree in it and so can make sure I have got it right.

In Christ,
    Thumper

#41 KJVBibleThumper, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
  2. Askjo

Askjo New Member

"repentance" is found in some manuscripts. Other manuscripts removed "repentance."

I agree with you. :thumbs:

3. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Some manuscripts contained "repentance" on Mark 2:17. Other MSS removed it from this verse.

4. Askjo

Askjo New Member

See Red above -- you are correct.

5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Now if MV proponents would consider the science behind TC to see it is a human concept that man needs no repentence for salvation!:tonofbricks:

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Or maybe some manuscripts didn't contain "repentance" and other MSS added it in.

7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Do you really think Jesus was that confused about repentence?

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Are you saying that modern versions have removed repentance for salvation? Can you show me that - other than this set of gospel verses?

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why do you think I think that?

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

My brother, I do not believe anything malevolent is being done in any deliberate way here, but any stretch, nor do I think you hold anything less than the most honorable of intentions. That said, what you are repeating, note I did say repeating, not making, is still an outright lie, as I have previously posted, and of which Logos1560 has also demonstrated instances, in at least three posts, on this thread, alone, where this is simply not true, namely posts 3 11, 12, &15. Here is my own quote, which no one has remotely tried to show any evidence to refute, apart from merely saying it is incorrect, regardless of what is actually being said.
    Apparently you do not mind restating what was said, which does change the meaning, here. The statement is still false, BTW.
    Already previously addressed.
    The honor of the individuals involved, is an entirely different question. But a nice ad hominem, anyway. BTW, speaking of honor, does the small fact that King James I, and the Anglican Church decided they wanted thiws new 'Modern Version' that would better support the so-called "Divine right of kings" or the "ecclesiastical hierarchy" of the church of England, as opposed to some of the 'practices' the GEN appeared to support, which was attracting the 'common man' of the realm, make any difference, here? No?? Somehow, I thought not. :rolleyes:
    Congratulations on another excellent ad hominem.
    Which seems to be the practice, I would say. :rolleyes:

I have never tried to suggest any support any version, and in fact, far prefer some of the King James over any other, simply because of my own beliefs about the majority text. I have used one of them for the great majority of my adult Christian life, simply for that reason.
    KJVBibleThumper is not the underdog, here, from what I have seen, nor is the KJV. Were you, Samuel Owens, or KJVBibleThumper to come into my home and pick up the Bible I am using, you would note that it is a King James. And you, he, and I can really 'thump' on it, considering it has a "hard back" which makes a better sound than one of leather, BTW. But I am in no manner willing to see false statements made, or go beyond where the translators of any version go. And the "KJVO" position is simply not consistent with that of the translators of the KJV.
    FTR, I find your statement where you are perfectly willing to support the "adding to" of the text, something that is not found in the so-called 'CT', nor the 'MT', nor even that of the 'TR', simply because it happens to be in a copy of the KJV you possess, appalling, to say the least. That, my friend, is the exact essence of radical "KJVO", in that it amounts to "new revelation" for the KJV, regardless of how many times 'lip-service' is paid to all the Bibles that preceeded this, and that is precisely what I reject! FTR, the VUL (425), WYC (1380 some-odd) and the MCB (1535) all got it right, here, in Mk. 2:15.

BTW, I am still waiting for responses to about four replies I have already made, in the past, to your posts, when I challenged some misstatement of fact, but I am not holding my breath.

One more thing. Moderators, can this be moved to the "All Christians" forum, since once again, a brother does not seem to understand the concept of "Baptist Only" for this forum? :rolleyes:

Ed

#50 EdSutton, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
  11. Samuel Owen

Samuel Owen New Member

I am not the best of debaters, and am not gifted in this respect. As I can see some here seem to be. I can find much better things to do with the time, I would spend trying to make a counter to every rebuttal.

So the probability of the best thing I could do, is make no more statements here. :)

12. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

First, the Peshitta is an edition of the Syriac version, and second, the Syriac Peshitta differs in many places from the TR, not the least of which is its omission of John 7:53-8:11.

I've heard this before too. May I ask the primary source for this historical claim?

13. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Predictable. And scary. I'm glad Samuel Owen isn't translating my Bible now. What happened to "changing a single word in any sentence, can severely affect the thought that sentence projects"? Where were you when the NKJV was falsely being accused of demoting our Lord's name by omitting "Jesus"? Have you checked those other accusations from Melton yourself?

14. KJVBibleThumper

I have eliminated the original quotes by me on here in order to make this a shorter post, to any one interested in them, refer back to the I believe first page of this thread.

To answer this, allow me quote David Cloud "...statement does not answer the matter of whether or not the British government was right in so

copyrighting the Word of God. ...attempting to use the British copyright of the KJV to justify...copyright...just because the British government copyrighted

the King James Bible does not mean that it is right to do so.

...statement fails to answer how a private American company today can compare itself with the 17th century British government. The Crown’s copyright of the

KJV was secured in the historical context of a state church. This is comparing apples and oranges.

...statement passes over the significant fact that the KJV can be freely published today and effectively is not copyrighted."

The truth of the matter is that the King James can be freely published without a fee paid to any organization. May I remind you that the Bible says in 1Ti

6:10 "For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with

many sorrows."

Modern Versions have reaped millions of dollars for their publishers, they are always advertised as being neccessary to have in order to better understand

the Word of God(Until the next new version comes out) and they almost always compare themselves to the King James, the King James is the benchmark by which

all modern versions that I have ever looked at there preface are measured by. In the end, although there are many good, godly men who are sincerely

attempting to make a good translation, there are man more who merely do it for "filthy lucre".

You are only partially correct, Authorized Version Publications has this to say, "The NKJV logo is the ancient symbol for the pagan
    trinity, not the Christian Trinity. Use of number symbols (like this 666)
    can be traced back to Pythagoras (582 B.C.), initiate into the Egyptian
    mysteries. The symbol was popularized again by satanist Aleister Crowley (circa
    1900) for the Royal Arch (Lucifer) of the 3rd Degree of the York Order of
    Masonry. The symbol's shape is duplicated as three initiates join arms and feet,
    while repeating the names of the ancient pagan trinity. The NKJV's symbol can
    be seen on the satanic rock group albums like Led Zeppelin, as well as on New
    Age best sellers like The Aquarian Conspiracy. Remember Acts 17:29 —"we
    ought not to think that the Godhead is like {anything}...graven by art...""

It is indeed a symbol for a trinity, just not The Trinity. Further, Constance Cumbey had this to say about it "On the cover of the Aquarian Conspiracy is a

Mobius, it is really used by them as triple six (666). The emblem on the cover of the New King James Bible is said to be an ancient symbol of the Trinity.

The old symbol had gnostic origins. It was more gnostic than Christian. I was rather alarmed when I noticed the emblem..." (The New Age Movement, Southwest

Radio Church, 1982 p.11)

Given that 95% of MSS support the King James rendering, yes we can use it as a standard. I might point out as a side note that claiming that we cannot know

the exact words of God and that we must go to "men of education who are qualified to render a reason on it" is suspiciously similar to Roman Catholic

teaching.

"Mostly spelling errors?"

"Lord"-removed 66 times
    "God"- removed 51 times
    "heaven"- removed 50 times
    "repent"- removed 44 times
    "blood"- removed 23 times
    "hell"- removed 22 times
    "JEHOVAH"- removed entirely
    "new testament"- removed entirely
    "damnation"- removed entirely
    "devils"- removed entirely

See above answer.

You are in trouble if you want that, the originals have not existed for thousands of years. If we were trusting in men to preserve our Bible, then we would

be in trouble, since I trust in God, I have no trouble. And a point about the Greek, referring to it for authority is a rather misleading position, may I

remind you of the varient readings among the 2 major families of texts? Not to mention that fact that depending on the lexicon and text you are using you

will get an different reading? And finally, that the Greek text underlying the new versions (Kittel's) was the work of a man whose son supported the

Holocaust and was tried at Nurumberg for war crimes?

Doctrinally, here are a few verses, on salvation that have varient readings between the KJV and the NKJV:
    NKJV-------------------------------------------KJV
    1 Cor. 11:1 Imitate Christ---------------------followers...of Christ
    Rom. 3:3 faithfulness------------------------- faith
    Rom. 11:30, 32 disobedient...disobedience not--believed...unbelief
    Rev. 19:8 righteous acts of saints-------------righteousness of saints
    1 Cor. 1:18 are being saved------------------- are saved
    2 Cor 2:15 are being saved --------------------are saved
    Eph. 2:8 have been saved ----------------------are...saved

First of all, "Servant" is a much weaker word then "son", Jesus was God's only (begotten) Son, and the sacrifice He made is greatly diminished by the word

"servent". See my response above for appealing to the Greek.

So you are admitting that the translators or the NKJV changed the Greek to make it say what they felt it should say, rather then what it did say? Well, at

least you are being honest. ;)

Have to split it here.

15. KJVBibleThumper

Well, first of all, I want to know what grammar you used when you received your education in Greek, give me the grammar book and I want a citation of the

relevent portion of it.

Your problem apparently also stems from an inability to understand english, there is a pronounced difference between "are sanctified" and "are being

sanctified", the former is the Fundamentalist viewpoint, the latter matches the Roman Catholic viewpoint. There is a pronounced difference between "are

saved" and "are being saved", again, the former matches Fundamentalist doctrine, the latter matches Roman Catholic doctrine, as the manuscripts that the NKJV

rests on when there is a difference of opinion over the true rendering of the Greek, are Catholic in origin, this comes as no surprise.

First of all, Strongs does not support your conclusion of such a translation(3049 and 3053), the fact that you are apparently trying to match your Strongs

against the translators of the King James is rather amusing in the first place. (No offense intended)

Second of all, the English definitions of both words according to Webster are vastly different
    "imagination-
    1. Conception; image in the mind; idea.

Sometimes despair darkens all her imaginations.

His imaginations were often as just as they were bold and strong.

2. Contrivance; scheme formed in the mind; device.

Thou hast seen all their vengeance, and all their imaginations against me. Lam.3.

3. Conceit; an unsolid or fanciful opinion.
    "

and "argument-
    1. A reason offered for or against a proposition, opinion, or measure; a reason offered in proof, to induce belief, or convince the mind; followed by for

or against.

2. In logic, an inference drawn from premises, which are indisputable, or at least of probable truth.

3. The subject of a discourse or writing.

4. An abstract or summary of a book, or the heads of the subjects.

5. A debate or discussion; a series of reasoning; as, an argument was had before the court, in which argument, all the reasons were urged.
    "

God does not merely defeat our "arguments", He casts down our "imaginations", every "Contrivance; scheme formed in the mind" that man can come up with, God

can overthrow. "Imagination" truly is the correct doctrinal rendering of the passage nd is immensly superior to the weaker "argument".

Um...you just proved my point? :D "Heretic" clearly is a superior word,for example, someone who decides to hold to the fundamentals in a non-fundamental

church could be characterised as "divisive" but never as a "heretic" biblically speaking.

Yikes this is going to be a long post, I am having to pretty much mainline caffeine just to stay focused =)

Anyhow, since you are throwing the Strongs around again, let me whip(not really, this thing is MASSIVE) mine out, let me remind you that the Strongs is based

on a text, perhaps the Strongs made an error and put kapelueo(2585) when it should have had kataphthero(2704), but so what? God commends those that search

"the Scriptures", not those that search their lexicons. My faith is in the King James, not a man made lexicon.

Here I am in error, I did double check this post before I posted it but I missed James Melton's language there. My apologies to all, this will NOT happen

again. I ask the moderators to please forgive me for breaking BB's rules there.

Back on topic,
    There is a difference between "changed" and "exchanged", Webster's defines them i nthe following manner

"changed-
    CHANGED, pp. Altered; varied; turned; converted; shifted"

and "exchanged-
    EXCHANGED, pp. Given or received for something else; bartered."

A big difference clearly in meaning.

I have always understood it to mean
    " 1. Literally, a setting of the mind or thoughts upon a subject; hence, application of mind of books, to arts or science, or to any subject, for the

purpose of learning what is not before known.

Hammond generally spent thirteen hours of the day in study.

Study gives strength to the mind; conversation, grace.

2. Attention; meditation; contrivance.

Just men they seemd, and all their study bent to worship God aright and know his works.

3. Any particular branch of learning that is studied. Let your studies be directed by some learned and judicious friend.

4. Subject of attention.

The Holy Scriptures, especially the New Testament, are her daily study.

5. A building or an apartment devoted to study or to literary employment.

6. Deep cogitation; perplexity. [Little used.]"

Am I in error?

It 1611, it meant
    " In a general sense, knowledge, or certain knowledge; the comprehension or understanding of truth or facts by the mind. The science of God must be perfect."

I fail to see a problem here.

"The great KJV translators" as you put it, were men whose scholastic ability is above reproach, given that context determines the correct rendering of a

word, and given that neither you apparently nor I read Greek, it comes down to pitting men;s words versus other men's words. My dad, who holds a Bachelors

from Bob Jones says that that is the correct rendering of the passage. Your pastor may say differently, fortunently, we are not putting our trust in men, or

lexicons, but rather in God, and His power bot to inspire, and to preserve His Word. But if we were to put our trust in men, no other group of translators is

equal to the KJV ones.

We do indeed become a new "creature", 2Co 5:17 "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are

become new."

If every part of us becomes new, then we are a new "creature", God no longer imputes sin to us.(Ro 4:8 )

Wow that was a long answer, possibly the longest I have ever posted. Logos, I am unable to respond to your posts in the way they deserve due to time

contraints on me, I am putting my pcc email address into my profile, if you wish to continue the discussion, feel free to email me, although I warn you, my

time is limited at college for these things. If you get together the list you have of problems with Dr. Streeter's book, feel free to email them to me, I

will then email them to Brother Streeter and have somebody who can access the boards here post it. Regarding accessing this website from PCC, as somebody

brought up, PCC's filter blocks all chat sites unless they are specifily approved by the college. This does not refer to what doctrine is discussed, merely

that the administration must one by one turn off the filter for each site, as it by default does not allow any sites of this nature. I can only access the

main page and the last thread responded to, and I do not believe I can sign in to respond.

I appreciate the debates here and have enjoyed the thought and care put into many of the responses to my threads. I apologise again for not catching the

error regarding rules that I accidently made above.

May you all have a wonderful winter, and those of you in places as cold as MT is right now...I will try to think of ya'll as I spend the remaining months of

the winter in Florida. :D

God Bless,
    Thumper

#55 KJVBibleThumper, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2009
  16. KJVBibleThumper

Double post, sorry.

Thumper EDIT: Since I hate to post and run, and not give anyone who wants to, a fair chance at responding, if anybody really desires to discuss my response here with me, feel free to email your response to my PCC address, I will get back to you as fast as I can, classes permitting.

#56 KJVBibleThumper, Jan 14, 2009
  17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

You posted your opinion earlier that it was dangerous to delve into the Greek, so I assume that your opinion of the school you attend is on dangerous ground for supporting a Greek text instead of the KJV?

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "To make this a shorter post"?! You have not studied brevity as I suggested earlier.

You know very well that money is not the root of all evil. It is the source of 'many' kinds of evil however.

I'm glad that you recognize that fact.But you are not willing to call their translations "Bibles" or "The Word of God",are you?

Would you care to name the men who translate merely for filthy lucre?! You really have the bad habit of saying very bad and untrue things though pretending to be objective at other times.

You are aware that when you use the word "removed" you assume that the KJV is the standard by which all English versions have to be measured against.(Of course which KJV is another question which complicates your situation.)If you want to use the NIV as a reference point -- the KJVs have removed and added a significant number of words too.

Do you believe in one Devil,or many?According to the Bible Satan is one entity.There are a number of demons though.

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

FTR, the late beloved Dr. Mark G. Cambron was the Dean of two and maybe three Bible Colleges, all of which would have been considered fundamentalist, and was also the co-founding Vice-President and later the President of the Florida Bible College. "Doc" Cambron was one of my Professors, when I was in Bible College, over 35 years ago. He went home to be with the Lord on May 24, 2000, at the age of 88, to once again, be with his beloved "Miss Mary" who had gone on home, only a short while earlier, although I am not certain of the exact date, for her homegoing. :godisgood:

Ed

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you aware that the word 'English' needs a capital "E"?

My faith is in the completed work of Christ Jesus.

There were a number of revisers on the team who were rather proficient in Greek;a few were competent in Hebrew knowledge at that time.It's my understanding that most were more versed in Latin than the original languages.

Our eternal destiny doesn't depend on on the use of a particular translation of the 17th century Anglican Church.

"No other group of translators is equal to the KJV ones"?! One man alone i.e. William Tyndale, would have been a pretty good match against the lot of them.

Come on now,you think that the translation teams of the NASBU and NIV for instance, were not as capable?Think again.

Don't let it become habit-forming.

#60 Rippon, Jan 14, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.