1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thank Calvin for your freedom

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

Luke, as a Calvinist, you should understand that this country was ordained of God and not John Calvin. I will thank God and Him alone for my freedoms, thank you very much.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Then you will yield here since I ahve proven the truth of it, no?

If not then you ARE obstantely opposed to truth that does not sit well with you.

It's one or the other Amy. Which is it?

I have provided quotes and facts and EVERYONE knows this nation of ours was MOSTLY Calvinistic in the glory days of her founding.

EVERYBODY knows the Pilgrims were ALL Calvinists.

EVERYBODY knows the Puritans were monumental in carving out this great land.

EVERYBODY knows MOST of our forefathers were Calvinists.

Why then do you obstinately demand that Calvin NOT be thanked for his contribution to this nation you enjoy?

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Luke, I'm not getting sucked into your endless vortex of arguing.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Who said God is not to be thanked for our freedom???????????????

But we also honor the memory and contribution of George Washington and Ben Franklin and John Calvin.

Do you celebrate Washington's birthday and Memorial Day? Are you thankful for the troops who have died for our freedom. Or do you obstinately say, "This country was ordained of God and not George Washington and NOT OUR TROOPS. I will thank God and Him alone for my freedoms, thank you very much!"

#64 Luke2427, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
  5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Excellent observation. Thanks first and foremost to God, and second to the countless persons who have died to bring and maintain the priviliged religious and other liberties we enjoy.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It is not great because of the context of it Quantum.

It is not great to REFUSE to recognize the contributions of Calvinists to the founding of this nation.

He should not be commended for his refusal to do so. You should not have commended him here, IMO.

Two thirds of the revolutionaries were Calvinists. The Pilgrims were Calvinists. The Puritans who carved out our great nation were Calvinists.

The Presbyterian form of government is the primary one our founders looked to for the formation of OUR government.

To just thank baptists as the only humans worthy to be thanked for their contribution to our freedom is not commendable at all.

7. quantumfaith

FYI:

Catholicism arrived in what is now the United States during the earliest days of the European colonization of the Americas. The first Catholic missionaries were Spanish, having come following the 1492 arrival of Christopher Columbus in the New World.[2] They established missions in what are now Florida, Georgia, Texas, New Mexico, California, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.[3] French colonization came later, in the early 18th century, with the French establishing missions in the Louisiana Territory districts: New Orleans, St. Louis, Biloxi, Mobile, the Alabamas, Natchez, Yazoo, Natchitoches, Arkansas, Illinois,[4] and Michigan.[5]

8. quantumfaith

Luke no one is "discounting" any contribution to this great country, REGARDLESS of their religious heritage. YOU are the one seemingly making it a matter of personal pride.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I don't mean to be testy here but it seems to me that this post has no point but to distract from the truth which has already been well established.

Catholics did not occupy a significant percentage of the founders. So why would you post this.

The Pilgrims who fled to America were not Catholics persecuted for their Catholicism. They were Calvinists persecuted for their Calvinism.

The Puritans were sure fire not Catholic.

So why post this? What is your point other than to water down the fact that Calvin was rightly considered by many historians to be THE father of America.

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You're darn right, Brother. I am proud to be an American. I am proud to be a Christian. I am proud to be a Calvinist. And I am proud of how prominantly those things interacted in the founding of this nation.

Why NOT be proud of the Calvinistic heritage of this country?

I am proud that Calvin is called the "father of America."

I am proud that the capitalistic system was founded upon the "Protestant Work Ethic" which came forth from Calvinistic teachings.

If you are jealous then switch over to the good side of the force.:smilewinkgrin:

#70 Luke2427, Dec 17, 2010
  11. quantumfaith

My point, is that a great many people of all "flavors" came to this country under a variety of reasons. All of them have a share in forging this great nation.

12. quantumfaith

Luke, I am proud of all my Christian brothers and sisters who endured and settled this land. Their theological heritage is not of primary import to me.

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Fine. But shares are to be divided appropriately.

Calvin still gets to be rightly considered the "father of America" if we are to divide those shares you mention based upon the accurate numbers and contributions.

All I am saying Quantum is that to say that Calvinism is a scourge is pure outright idiocy- especially when Calvinism was the primary driving force behind the construction of this great nation we all enjoy.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke, did you also mention the efforts of the Calvinist leaders to give schooling to all. My wife would also like to mention that the stoicism of creed made strong souls of the Scottish Covenanters (her people are Scottish).

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's unfortunate. It sounds warm and fuzzy and I am sure that some will read this and be like those on the Shrek movies who react to Puss and Boots big eyes routine.

But others will read this and say- Wait a minute!!! I'm a baptist and I am proud of my baptist heritage and the Baptist contribution to this country!

It's ok to be proud of one's heritage.

Others will read this and say, "Wait a dang minute!! I am a Calvinist and I am darn proud that Calvinists occupied the vast majority of those who bled and died for our freedom!"

But the sweet tone and all inclusiveness of your words will no doubt win some to your side. I just think that ought not be the way we try to convince people. I think we ought to use facts not warm and fuzzy words.

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

:flower:

No but excellent point.

17. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Several of my friends have asked me at one time or another why I would even spend my time reading or discussing theology with obsessed people on internet boards such as this. And no doubt, if I were to dare speak of this topic it would leave me without defense as to why I would waste any time doing so.
    :laugh:

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That then is your problem. You need smarter friends.

If they don't have education enough to recognize the contributions of Calvin to the founding of this nation- well...

19. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Those baptists were not calvinists. They believed in the doctrines of grace, but they were not followers of Calvin. Calvin was not where they derived their doctrine from and certainly not their practice. Why should we thank Calvin for a contribution to the group most responsible for religious freedom when he made no contribution to them.

I'm surprised that someone who rattles on about others being ignorant cannot understand the difference between the system of belief derived from Calvin and the system of belief derived from the bible. They are not synonomous. Sometimes Calvin was right, but there were times he was dead wrong and when people claim historic baptists were Calvinists they leave our forefathers in the faith wide open to the same attacks which are rightfully hurled at Calvin's doctrine. I'm willing to bet those baptists weren't high on Calvin, weren't thanking Calvin when the bill of rights was adopted, and didn't consider themselves his followers.

Again, it was the Baptists who fought the good fight. Other groups would have been happy with a church state. The baptists, who alone had been persecuted by everyone else at various times, knew that such a situation would leave them in persecution yet. Thank God for the baptists, not Calvin.

Finally, this whole thread shows a certain shallowness of thinking. If one believes in election and predestination then people are apt to label that person a Calvinist. That's nonsense. True Calvinists, the ones who agree wholeheartedly with the doctrine and practice advocated by Calvin, will tell you that one cannot be a baptist and a calvinist. Baptists are not Calvnists and they never have been. Baptists in the past and still today held doctrinal beliefs that sometimes agreed with Calvinists, but that doesn't make them Calvinists. A Calvinist is one who follows Calvin. I don't follow Calvin. I follow what the bible teaches. The bible teaches election, predestination, particular redemption, etc. Sometimes Calvin agreed with the bible on those things, sometimes he did not. There were men before, during, and after Calvin who were in total agreement with the bible and were right where Calvin was wrong. It is they who I identify myself with, not Calvin.

20. quantumfaith

Let's be honest, Calvin himself had no knowledge of the country (US) which was to come. It was those who followed his teaching and the fact that they were persecuted where they were. They simply looked for a place to "live peaceably". I commend them, not for their theology, but for their courage to set out toward the "unknown"

"Calvinism is a scourge" may be a bit harsh, but remember, there are those whose passion "against" Calvinism, is equally as strong as your passion "for" Calvinism, so you seeking to be mature, spiritually and intellectually should recognize it for what it is.

"Calvinism the driving force behind this great nation" That is a statement of personal position and a great deal anecdotal.

#80 quantumfaith, Dec 17, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.