1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thank you, Global Warming !!

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by targus, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. targus

targus New Member

Your article says, "An ice age or, more precisely, glacial age, is a generic geological period of long-term reduction in the temperature of the Earth's surface and atmosphere, resulting in the presence or expansion of continental ice sheets, polar ice sheets and alpine glaciers."

You read that as, "Ice ages seem to be localized and not global."

Can you detect the difference in those two statements?

A MENSA IQ is a terrible thing to waste.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

>presence or expansion of continental ice sheets, polar ice sheets and alpine glaciers

is not the equivalent of global. It means existing ice sheets got larger. Expanding = getting larger.

glob·al   [gloh-buhl] Show IPA
    adjective
    pertaining to the whole world; worldwide; universal: the dream of global peace.
    comprehensive.

In other words, if there were no wars anyplace in the world we would have global peace.

3. targus

targus New Member

It's too bad that we are talking about "global warming" and not "global peace".

To repeat, "...long-term reduction in the temperature of the Earth's surface and atmosphere..."

This is not referring to a localized reduction in the temperature of the Earth's surface and atmosphere. A localized reduction happens every winter. In the desert it can happen for a single night.

It is referring to a global reduction in the temperature of the Earth's surface and atmosphere.

I'm beginning to doubt your claim to a MENSA IQ. :smilewinkgrin:

4. mandym

mandym New Member

Lack of wars is not peace. Lack of threat of wars is peace. So long as there are terrorists allowed to roam free there is no world peace. So long as Iran is allowed to threaten Israel there is no world peace. So long as North Korea is allowed to harass South Korea there is no world peace.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I realize a serious discussion is going on here but I just can't resist.
    II Peter 3:10
    Now THAT'S global warming.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

7. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. lol

And it is for this reason I see that we as believers need not buy into a disaster that will precede this event.

God bless.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

We have been waiting 2000 years. What will Christians be preaching in 20,000 years?

9. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should the Lord tarry so long...the same Gospel that we preach to day, and have done for this nearly 2000 years so far: Christ crucified.

Yet we trust that we nearer today than when we first heard.

God bless.

10. Borneol

Borneol New Member

That would be nice if global warming saved the day! Just like I doubt other claims on global warming, I doubt this also, but nice to read if that turns out to be the case.

Overall though I think the bigger problem with the way global warming has been addressed is with the ideas presented at solving the problem. Solar panel maker Solyndra was involved in crony capitalism for example, as have several other firms. And as I've read today, expensive solar panels should be a last option for many Americans looking to become greenhouse gas conscious.

"Why you don't need solar panels"

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/01/14/why-dont-need-solar-panels/?intcmp=features

11. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Solar devices are a great way to harness energy, the only problem with it...is the cost.

I took a class concerning a water heating system that is fueled by a rooftop solar panel/s that is, I think, brilliant (no pun intended). But the way it is built as well as the fact that it is built in Germany puts the cost out of reach as well as makes it a wash (almost) to install, like many of the high efficiency systems today. The choice we have is to pay a lot now (and get high efficiency) or pay a lot over a period of time (and use standard systems).

It is my belief that the high efficiency systems can be built on a comparative cost basis as the less efficient, but, no-one is doing that because there is too much money to be made.

Another system that is being developed are solar roof shingles. Again, a great idea. But cost is going to keep this from being a standard purchase for probably 99% of the population.

If those that are so worried about global warming are really that concerned about this issue, perhaps their should be a concerted effort to get the cost alternative power sources to a place where the average person can afford them.

That is not an unrealistic goal.

God bless.

12. mandym

mandym New Member

It is not the only problem. The amount of energy it produces compared to other sources is meager at best. Same for wind turbines.

13. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Concerning solar generation of power, this is true in large part, I think, however, the sytem which I took a class on that would be a replacement for electric and gas hot water heaters is an exception, at least from waht I learned in the class. How they are designed makes for an exceptionally efficient source for hot water production, though, where it will take a beating is in it's requirement for...sun.

lol

But, if there is an electric backup, for occasions when the sun is having a bad day, it would still reduce energy usage for the better part of the year.

Solar roofing shingles, as well, expand the area where collection takes place. I am interested to see how this particular idea progresses. If the shingles themselves can be brought into the average person's reach, which is not unreasonable, I think, we might see a trend toward harnessing energy that will alleviate other resources.

Of course, this is just wishful thinking...lol.

Hope all have a great day.

God bless.

14. billwald

billwald New Member

>But, if there is an electric backup

That's the catch! Most the do-gooders with solar panels on the roof want commercial power on cloudy days. They should have to pay triple for what they suck off the grid. Why should the rest of us pay for equipment for their down days?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.