1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ThB at SATS

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by labaptist, May 1, 2010.

1. labaptist

labaptist Member
    Site Supporter

The liberal arts credits are what I'd be worried about. Would a seminary such as Southwestern consider a BTh up to snuff since it didn't have any general ed credits like Math (Man, I hate math!lol) or science. Also does anyone know of anybody from SATS who has gotten admission to a seminary on the basis of the degree?

2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I was offered admission to NO Baptist Theological Seminary on the basis of my SATS degree, pursuant to an evaluation by, if memory serves me right, World Education Services (foreign degree evaluator).

However, if you desired to pursue such a path, you could always CLEP out of those classes, filter the credits through a Credit bank, and transfer them into your SATS degree. It would still be a HUGE savings...

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Some seminaries do require a liberal arts curriculum. You'd have to take extra writing courses at most seminaries and some rudimentary courses perhaps in languages, philosophy, logic, etc.
    Kinda makes my point...it's not germane.
    Aristotle, Plato, et.al were still who they were then. Again, it's not like Boyce and others lived in the 1500s. And logic is pretty much logic. It's what you do with it, much like math, that counts.
    I see. I just wondered why you'd go to all the expense to earn that many hours.

As for saving money, that may be the case by credit banking. the Bible college I went to was very cheap. There are many that way. Boyce College would be a good place to learn math, science, etc :thumbs:

4. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Being taught Aristotle and Plato, and even logic, by a person who respects the scriptures, and is approaching the subject from a Christian point of view, is a far cry from taking classes from Ward Churchill. I have taught enough to know that facts are bendy and they bend in the direction of the persons' bias.

For instance, a Baptist History class taught by Ergun Caner, would be decidedly different than one taught by someone like Mohler, Dever, etc.

A hundred and forty dollars for 24 credits is not expensive. In fact, it's just as cheap as trying to get the minimum number of credits from CLEP tests. And I would rather have 24 credits than 6 to 12.

Can't beat 5 dollars per credit.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't disagree that bias can creep in. But you've yet to demonstrate why liberal arts taught by a bible college or Christian college prof would be anti-God.

And history is different than math. You can bend (call it, twist or falsify) historical events. You can't bend 2+2 or the law of antecedent causality or the second law of thermodynamics.
    Did that help you in undergrad or was this for fun?

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I have heard horror stories you would not believe from some Bible colleges and Christian Universities. Not sure if I can mention names on here, but Baylor is where one of these particular stories comes from.

Oh, my friend. You cannot bend 2 +2 (pure math), but you would be unbelievably surprised at how some secular Science professors bend scientific laws and theory...ESPECIALLY the Second law of thermodynamics!

I could have (and still could, I guess), get six more Biology credits, plus algebra and English Lit., and get a Bachelor of Liberal Arts in Biology. But I have no idea what I would use it for.

A couple of Seminaries that I had looked at, prefer you to have Science and/or math credits in your undergrad. So it was kind of a "just for fun" but "it could help me later" situation. Since the Credits were issued from a RA University, it couldn't hurt, right?

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I suppose there's always an exception (don't get me started on Baylor....that's a different animal)

If they're bending 2nd law of thermodynamics, they aren't teaching it.
    Can't hurt. You're right about the usage. I have thought about doing a law degree for fun once the doctoral work is done. But I'm getting older, the family responsibilities keep growing, and I wouldn't want my wife to kill me ("How many degrees do you think you need, honey?"). I don't think a church search committee will be impressed with a J.D. In fact, it might scare some off :laugh:

8. UZThD

UZThD New Member

While I now am doing evaluation of grad level bridging coursework and theses for SATS, I was for about two years marking undergrad work and writing a little undergrad curriculum. Though several of the undergrad courses I was involved with do require (in the context of under grad curriculum) a lot of reading, thinking, & writing in English, and though I am a retired public school English teacher in Oregon & Calif , I never, when marking SATS undergrad work, counted off for errors in English usage more than a few % points.

It is acceptable in SA for students to have a grammar editor of their work.

Recently my first PhD student switched his PhD studies from Stellenbosh to SATS at the recommendation of his Stellenbosh advisor. The former advisor informed the SATS post grad dean that this Korean student struggles with writing English. Correcting his English is OK , but accepting faulty research (and his research is good) would not be acceptable..

Many students at SATS have English as their second or third language!

I guess I'm saying that one considering the SATS ThB-or grad work- should not worry very much about his/her English.