1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The 400 years of Gen 15:13

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by musicman, Dec 4, 2007.

1. musicman

musicman New Member

In Gen 15:13, God tells Abraham that his seed would be stranger in a land, not theirs and that they would serve and be afflicted for 400 years. I would like to know what your take is on when the 400 years begin.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. In Stephen's memorable speech before the Council: "The God spoke to him in this way: 'Your descendants will be strangers in a country not their own, and they will be enslaved and mistreated four hundred years" (Acts 7:6).

2. Whenever the enslavement and mistreated began, that is when the four years began.

3. Remember, they were in Egypt in good favor before the were enslaved and mistreated:

"Now Joseph and all his brothers and all that generation died, 7 but the Israelites were fruitful and multiplied greatly and became exceedingly numerous, so that the land was filled with them.

"8 Then a new king, who did not know about Joseph, came to power in Egypt. 9 "Look," he said to his people, "the Israelites have become much too numerous for us. 10 Come, we must deal shrewdly with them or they will become even more numerous and, if war breaks out, will join our enemies, fight against us and leave the country" (Exod. 1:6-10).

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I would say it started at 1845 B.C. to 1446 B.C., the date of the Exodus or there about.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

How can this be, when the Israelites are departing--the Exodus?

5. musicman

musicman New Member

TCGreek,
    I have to agree with you Stephen's speech in Acts was memorable. I know the 400 years is part of the total 430 yrs. I believe the the starting point of the 400 years was when Israel (Jacob) enter Egypt at the age 130. And the beginning of the 430 years started when he left Padanaram.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

But the text says enslavement and mistreatment for 400yrs--are you advancing that from the time they got there, they were enslaved and mistreated?

7. musicman

musicman New Member

Let me do some re-thinking on this.

8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I believe Exodus 12:40 and Galatians 3:17 shows the Egyptian bondage was 430 years (from 1876 to 1446 or there about). Apparently, then, Genesis 15:13 and Acts 7:6, with their references to 400 years, are using rounded figures. Could it be that 30 of those years were good and not in bondage? You will note the 30 years change in my first post and I've said why a head of this.
    Jacob and his family went to Egypt to be protected by Joseph, . Arriving in Egypt as honored guests, the Jews eventually became a threat; so the new Pharaoh made them slaves and afflicted them greatly (Ex. 1:11–12). I believe the smoking furnace (Gen. 15:17) was a symbol of the nation’s suffering in Egypt (Deut. 4:20). The 400 years of Genesis 15:13 refers to Israel’s entire stay in Egypt, from Jacob’s arrival to the Exodus. It is a round figure, because Exodus 12:40 puts it at 430 years. ​