1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The 4th Commandment Sabbath WAS change but not in the Bible

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Good! It is a pity I never bothered to keep record of the different ways Seventh-day Adventists say it, but when it is the Sabbath in Genesis or anywhere else, 'the Sabbath is not a type', 'the Sabbath is not a promise', 'the Sabbath has no spiritual meaning pointing to Christ', 'the Sabbath is not prophetic of the Messiah'.

SDA take pains to make their Sabbath look and be the same as the Jews' Sabbath ---to make it void of Jesus Christ and the pure obedience of human will and esteem, in other words, legalistic and a work of own righteousness.

What do you make of the Sabbath in 2Chronicals 23, Bob Ryan? A day of bliss and happiness ... only?

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

There is that Day-of-Rest in Genesis 2-3! Like elsewhere it is NAMED, "The Seventh Day" in Genesis 2-3. And like many times elsewhere it is defined, "the day The Seventh Day Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD".

You pretend, DHK, two things, You pretend that your readers will be so naive as to just believe you. You actually know they wont believe you, because you are so obviously using such incredibly naive 'logic'.

Does Genesis 2:2,3 say that "God rested The Seventh Day"?

It does.

Sane logic founded on solid fact-of-act OF GOD, finds therefore that the TRUTH in Genesis is: The day NAMED there and everywhere else "The Seventh Day" was God's very OWN ---"MY Holy" --- "MY", "Set-Apart-DAY / Sanctified-DAY / Hallowed-DAY" and "Blessed-DAY" ---GOD'S, "Sabbath", a 'Sabbath' due to God's RESTING IN FINISHING ALL HIS WORKS IN IT ON IT WITH IT and THROUGH IT.

The seventh day in the history of this earth according to Genesis was FULLY OCCUPIED with GOD, finishing by resting on it. The seventh day in the history of this world therefore according to Genesis was a 'sabbath’ that is, a ‘day-of-rest' and BECAUSE it was the 'sabbath-day-of-rest' the day is NAMED there as everywhere else by its NUMBER, and in respectful English must be written with Capital Letters because it is the NAME of the day and because it was the "Day-of-GOD'S-Rest": ‘The Sabbath’, as in the fear of God it is found written elsewhere.

It is absolutely illogical there is no ‘Sabbath-Day-of-Rest-of GOD’ in Genesis 2-3. It is unacceptable ‘logic’ clearly intended to impress, mesmerise and mislead people.

I find it very disappointing coming from you, DHK.

#82 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2013
  3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

If what you tell us here is what God actually meant to say in Genesis, DHK, THEN WHY DID HE NOT?!

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A 'sabbath' = 'rest-day' / 'day-of-rest'.

"on the seventh DAY God ended his work ... and He rested on the seventh DAY ..."

WHICH "day" was it, God "rested"?

THAT SAYS IT ALL about more than one things ... here.

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Ever read about Athalia my mate ---yes, the pagan heathen Athalia pal?

Well go READ; it applies!

But .... "FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD Sabbaths-keeping remains ... IF ... JESUS ... GAVE THEM REST"!!!!

Have Jesus given you rest, my mate?

By the way, 'apoleipetai' = 'remains' = 'applies'.

#85 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Aug 7, 2013
  6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Originally Posted by BobRyan [​IMG]
    1 Cor 10
    10 For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea;
    2 and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
    3 and all ate the same spiritual food;
    4 and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ.

Heb 4
    4 Therefore, let us fear if, while a promise remains of entering His rest, any one of you may seem to have come short of it.
    2 For indeed we have had good news (Gospel) preached to us, just as they also; but the word they heard did not profit them, because it was not united by faith in those who heard

The Sabbath of Gen 2:3 is given before sin - it does not promise Adam that once his sins are forgiven he will have rest. This would be total nonsense to Adam. Nor does it speak to sinless Adam of his need to by saved by grace through faith. Adam stands before God perfect.

NOR does it abolish God the Son - who GIVES the commandment to Adam as if the Christ who "is the same yesterday today and forever" was somehow "less than" or not to be considered when HE is speaking to Adam about the Sabbath that he has just made and sanctified - set apart and given to Adam.

God the Son was "LORD of the Sabbath" in Gen 2:3 just as in Mark 2:27. And Adam was in loving worship of - and obedience to the same God the Son of Gen 2:3 as we find in Mark 2:27.

It is not as though there are two God the Son's - two Christs - and worshiping, following, serving one is "less than" serving the other.

The attribute of God that is key here is "I am the LORD - I do NOT change" Mal 3.

Man changed. Man fell. Man took on a sinful nature. Christ took on a human nature - but remains forever "God the Son" the unchanging one.

Two institutions taken out the Garden from Genesis 2 were Marriage and the Sabbath. Marriage was not given to Adam as a promise of redemption once he sinned - that would have been total nonsense to Adam. Yet marriage today remains a gift of God for man- and takes on as a type as an added symbol the model of the persecuted church - loved and preserved by Christ. Even so the same Sabbath of Gen 2:3 is a model of the rest we have once we are born again - and a promise of the future heavenly Jerusalem - rest for mankind. All of this born-again and future-millennium, future heavenly Jerusalem would have been unknown to Adam and outside of his context until the fall of man.

in Christ,

Bob

#86 BobRyan, Aug 7, 2013
  7. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hebews 4 is not addressed to Adam but to sinners and it explicitly states that sinners not only find rest in faith in the Gospel but they enter into the seventh day rest by faith in the gospel:

2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
    3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
    4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
    5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
    6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief
    :

Can't get it more explicit than this Bob! When a person believes in the gospel they enter into "my rest" the rest of the Seventh day.

Ephesians 5:30 explicitly states that God's design behind marriage was to provide a picture of the union between Christ and His church. Hence, God did give it to Adam with that ultimate intent in view.

30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
    32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The writer of hebrews and Ellen White seem to have mixed up their revelations from the Lord, as Hebrews stated that all of us now enetr into sabbath day rest, NOT saturday, but Ellen White had the lord tell her that unless a Christian keeps the jewish Sabbath, will not be saved, but have the mark of the Beast?

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Bob Ryan, read your Bible, Adam and Eve sinned before "the cool of dusk / day" in Genesis chapter 3:8.

WHERE do you get one day - just one day - IN BETWEEN "it was late and it was early the Sixth Day" and "in the cool of day / dusk"?

Genesis 1 to chapter 3 its very end verse 24 deals with the creation! WITH NO HISTORY OF ANY MANKIND AS UNFALLEN OR AS SINNERS except man’s first day and day of sinless creation and second day in fallen sinfulness!

Get your SOURCES sorted out! That's where your trouble lies!

#90 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Aug 7, 2013
  11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What on earth am I reading?!

Is this The Biblicist writing?!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

12. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why thank you, I take that as a compliment as I was simply quoting Scripture! So it is not "the Biblicit wiritng" but the Biblical writing!

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1 Cor 10
    10 For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea;
    2 and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
    3 and all ate the same spiritual food;
    4 and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ.

Heb 4
    4 Therefore, let us fear if, while a promise remains of entering His rest, any one of you may seem to have come short of it.
    2 For indeed we have had good news (Gospel) preached to us, just as they also; but the word they heard did not profit them, because it was not united by faith in those who heard

The Sabbath of Gen 2:3 is given before sin - it does not promise unfallen Adam that once his sins are forgiven he will have rest. This would be total nonsense to Adam. Nor does it speak to sinless Adam of his need to by saved by grace through faith. Adam stands before God perfect.

Heb 4 demonstrates that pre-cross Gospel - the same one preached "to us".

Heb 4

I think you saw that as well - you just think it is best not to admit it for a minute.

1Cor 10 demonstrates this same "one Gospel" principle - precross and post cross.

In that one Gospels - sinners enter into Salvation by grace through faith - submitting to the work of the Holy Spirit - born again.

They do not enter into salvation by keeping the Sabbath.

But having been saved - they do what 1John 2:3-6 says.

They do what Rev 14:12 says.

They do what 1Cor 7:19 says.

They do what 1John 5:2-3 says.

They do what John 14:15 says

They do what John 15:14 says.

They choose to Keep God's commandments.

Even your own Baptist Confession of Faith admits to this simple fact.

in Christ,

Bob

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realise that we are now under the new Covenant, so the sabbath as israel observed it is no longer binding upon the church, correct?

You can choose tp observe it still, but not manditory, as its under Grace, not law, right?

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    New Covenant according to Jer 31:31-33 and Heb 8 is the saved condition in which the "Law of God is written on the mind and heart".

Truns out - as the "Baptist Confession of Faith" admits - the Ten Commandments are included in the Law of God.

And the same OT Is 66:23 context for Sabbath is kept "by all mankind" in the new Earth "From Sabbath to Sabbath" says God "shall ALL mankind come before Me to worship" Is 66:23.

For the Sabbath "was made for mankind" according to Christ - speaking before the cross -

in Christ,

Bob