1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Abortion Debate Again

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Bible-boy, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

In another thread on another topic the abortion debate popped up once again.

In that thread the Poster Magnetic Poles said:

Rather than reinvent the wheel I'll just quote from noted Christian Ethicist, Scott Rae on the subject:

*The poster placed some text in bold for emphasis.

#1 Bible-boy, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2008
  2. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Post Continued:

#2 Bible-boy, Dec 20, 2008
  3. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Personhood of the fetus continued:

*Comments in brackets [ ] were added by the poster. Likewise, the poster placed some text in bold font for emphasis.

4. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Personhood of the Fetus Continued:

*The poster placed some text in bold font for emphasis.

#4 Bible-boy, Dec 20, 2008
  5. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

6. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

#6 Bible-boy, Dec 20, 2008
  7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Bible Boy,

All this that you posted doesn't address MP statement. He said "some theologians" differ with this view. What you posted is one person's view which is highly debatable as he takes many stretches to make his points...

Ex...

Nothing in this continuity definitively says when life begins. I don't think anyone denies a person is conceived, the question is when does the person become a live. Even after death, we still call them a dead person. So person doesn't equal life. He takes stretches like this in the majority of these statements.

8. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Like RevMitchell said in response to Magnetic Poles:

And Magnetic Poles replied that he fully agrees.

You are equivocating between Rae's use of the term "Personhood" and your understanding of the use of the term "person." This is a formal fallacy on your part and does not disprove or refute Rae's position.

#8 Bible-boy, Dec 20, 2008
  9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Interesting stuff Bible-boy.

Even if we can not determine when life begins (and I believe that the Scriptures are clear) it is best to err on the side of life rather than death. Abortion should not even be a debate for Christians.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

when 2 humans join together they create another human, not something else, not lifeless matter, but another human. This is the way God's creation is designed to function. Every egg, and every sperm has the potential to be a human, but once they join together they are a human, man (mankind) has reproduced after his kind.

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I've been willing to listen to all sides of this issue but my opinion has not changed. God knows us before we are conceived. God knows us when we are two cells. We may not be cuddly then, but we are God's creation then. I understand the argument about not being a person until we take our first breath. I do. I understand it all.

What I also understand is that we are created by God and that is nothing to mess with. AND since there are so many opinions about when life began, I'm gonna back up to the first one, because I'm not going to mess with this glorious, wonderful, awesome creation of God.

12. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What she said!

If "we" are not certain (although I am convinced) when life began, we know that it wasn't before conception. So to be safe, that should be a good point to say it begins.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no good reason for abortions. If in attempting to save the life of a pregnant woman and the unborn baby is killed as an unfortunate side effect that is not the same thing as an abortion where the intention is to kill the unborn baby. Using abortion as a method of birth control should be condemned by everyone.

14. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

In another thread on another topic the abortion debate popped up once again.

In that thread the Poster Magnetic Poles said:

There may be some divergence among theologians as to when life begins since some seem to take on a god complex but I do not believe there is much disagreement between scientists, at least those qualified to know.

Any scientist with a brain knows that when conception takes place a new life is formed. That life is the same as its progenitors, nothing else. If Magnetic Poles has information to the contrary it should be shared not hoarded.

15. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When It Comes to ABORTION: There is No Debate!!!

There can be no debate when it comes to taking the life of an unborn child. We are called to a standard of Holiness, and killing an unborn life is not reflective of Holiness.

Sorry, but, this is one area where being a believer requires ALL of us to move beyond the flesh from which we were once part of. We are now a new man/woman, and the Word calls ALL of us to be Holy, and to lift up Holy hands. There is no way on this earth that a true believer can lift up Holy hands and claim to be striving for holiness while we support elected officials who support abortion and use our tax dollars to fund abortion clinics, and aborting the innocent life of even one unborn child.

Oh, by the way, there is no doubt in my mind, or heart-of-hearts, that life begins at conception. And that statement is NOT above my "paygrade!"

Shalom,

Pastor Paul:type:

#15 righteousdude2, Dec 20, 2008
  16. OldRegular

Great post! Really a call for true believers to follow our Lord and Savior.

17. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I find it odd that we see the abortion issue raised (by both sides) in political debates; however, when we have a thread devoted solely to that topic with good solid information and sources presented there is little participation.:confused:

18. OldRegular

Donna,

Thank you. You are correct and I could not have said it better myself.

19. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I can't speak for everyone else, but I tire of the same old back and forth that inevitably turns into personal attacks, insults, and ridiculously heated and emotional rhetoric. We have been over it many times, no one is going to change their mind. Sometimes it is better to agree to disagree and talk about something else.

20. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

In another thread where the abortion issue popped up as an off-topic side issue you stated:

I tried to provide a new thread specifically addressing the issues you raised. The quoted material I provided from Scott Rae fully addresses your concerns over when life begins and the idea of "potential to someday become a baby." No one here has engaged in personal attacks etc. So let's discuss the issues and leave persons and personalities aside.:thumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.