1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The ACLU Continues to Attack Our Troops

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Sep 4, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20070904/a_aclu04.art.htm

ACLU: Troops aren't following rules

WASHINGTON — Newly released documents regarding crimes committed by U.S. soldiers against civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan detail a pattern of troops failing to understand and follow the rules on interrogations and deadly actions, the American Civil Liberties Union says.

The documents, released today by the ACLU ahead of a lawsuit, total nearly 10,000 pages of courts-martial summaries, transcripts and military investigative reports about 22 incidents. They include examples of soldiers believing they were within the law when they killed citizens.

The documents were obtained through a federal Freedom of Information Act request. The suit seeks to compel the military to produce all documents related to all incidents of civilian deaths at the hands of U.S. troops since January 2005.

The Defense Department declined to comment on the lawsuit until it could review its claims.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is this an attack on our troops?

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the enemy following the rules ?

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the aclu website:

"The mission of the ACLU is to preserve all of these protections and guarantees:
    • Your First Amendment rights - freedom of speech, association and assembly; freedom of the press, and freedom of religion.
    • Your right to equal protection under the law - equal treatment regardless of race, sex, religion or national origin.
    • Your right to due process - fair treatment by the government whenever the loss of your liberty or property is at stake.
    • Your right to privacy - freedom from unwarranted government intrusion into your personal and private affairs.
    We work also to extend rights to segments of our population that have traditionally been denied their rights, including Native Americans and other people of color; lesbians, gay men, bisexuals and transgender people; women; mental-health patients; prisoners; people with disabilities; and the poor."

Their FOI request has nothing to do with any of that. It's a witch hunt.

As evidenced by the OP, the target is our troops.

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, yeah, that makes it right! "Hey, that guy ran a stop light, so let's run one, too." "Those guys are indiscriminately killing everyone around them, so let's do it, too!"

I mean, come on: Does playground logic really have a place in this topic?

Carpro:
    Sir, based on your tagline, I assume you were a Viet Nam vet, and for that, I salute you. If you weren't, you support veterans, and for that, I salute you again.

I don't know why the ACLU is sticking their nose in this. I don't think it's their place. But I'll say this: If soldiers, airmen, sailors, Marines, Coast Guard, whoever were violating rules of engagement, and stepping beyond their bounds, this is something that needs to be investigated, if only to ensure it doesn't happen again. And the leaders of those soldiers, etc., who didn't properly ensure their troops understood their responsibilities under the rules of engagement, should be punished for poor leadership. And any military leaders who endeavored to cover it up, or otherwise imply approval by not exhibiting disapproval, need to be removed from command for a lack of integrity.

Think "Casualties of War" with Michael J. Fox and Sean Penn. Or even the two Marines from "A Few Good Men," who were found guilty: They were wrong, and at least one of them figured it out afterwards. They killed a person who represented the kind of people they were supposed to be protecting.

Pardon my idealism, but I cannot stand "I was only following orders" as an excuse for wrong-doing. Have the moral fiber and fortitude to stand up and say, "it's wrong, and I'm not going to do it."

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that, if you stop to think about it, you know exactly why the aclu is departing from their stated mission to stick their nose in this.

If a few dead enders(my translation on behalf of John Kerry) doing a dangerous job for our nation get run over in the process, they don't mind.

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Just because soldiers are deployed doesn't give them license to commit attrocities against civilians. That is inhuman, unAmerican, unChristian, and no way to win hearts & minds. I get the feeling some of you would have excused Lt. William Caley as well.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So now they've become the Amalekite Curtailment League Unvictorious, as well as the Anti-Christ Lawyers Undergirded.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As much as I admire and respect the ACLU's stances on many domestic issues I think that on this non-domestic issue that its FOI request is outside of the parameters of its operating statement.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. Who said it did?

The point is:

What business is it of the aclu? What American's civil liberties are they looking to protect.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We all make stupid statements from time to time, but this one is a doozy.:BangHead: